I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeezy

46fef9fa779f2b73ef3fc1ce7fd1e916.jpg
Hello! I have been designing my Halo Reach gugnir helmet for the past year. I have had three versions because I am having a hard time understanding what to model it around. It is kinda complicated, as I will have a 3D virtual reality headset integrated into the 3d printed helmet. So, does anyone have any silowhette pictures or 3d models of heads that are my size? I can give measurements, but I have failed. I have tried to scale my head from pictures, 3d scanned myself with an app, and have even measured myself between two surfaces. All of these gave conflicting answers. So does anyone have any tips for designing a helmet?

I'm committing a bit of a 'necro-crime' but since this hasn't been answered I wanted to potentially offer some solutions.

I think part of the problem in trying to find your head scale is that the photos you take will not be 'orthographic'. The lens may distort the image slightly so that any rulers behind your head may give a false reading.
When measuring my chest width for some armour I used some set squares, almost as if they were giant calipers. If you have a glossy painted door you can use whiteboard markers. If you have just a normal wall, lightly use a pencil then rub it out after the measurements are taken.

OR, instead of the ruler behind you, put it midway on top of your head and the side of your head.

At minimum you'll want a side shot and a front shot. Then you can make a rough head shape, or find one to import. As for importing a ready made head, maybe measuring the circumference of your head would be needed? I've no 3D modelling skill in that regard.

I don't think the measurement needs to be 100% perfect, as you'll want some breathing room in the helmet for things like your padding, cooling fans, other electronics, etc. The padding will also help the helmet to sit right on your head - eg if the top thickness is too thin it'll sit too low, and some padding will help with that.

Good luck :)

*bringing the thread back on track*

HaloGoddess' "How To Scale" and More Tutorial

There are a lot of tutorials about how to scale, and what I would do to avoid confusion is not do any 3D anything. Instead, just measure the 2D height of your head, from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head. That should give you one solid number. Type that number into the "height" of your helmet 2D menu scale settings, and that should give you a decent starting point.

Any modifications you make personally will then be fitted against the helmet you have made. (The VR headset, for example. You'd just build your own attachment for it and stick it to your helmet. How you do that is up to you.)

Good luck! Love to see how this works out!

*bringing the thread back on track*

HaloGoddess' "How To Scale" and More Tutorial

There are a lot of tutorials about how to scale, and what I would do to avoid confusion is not do any 3D anything. Instead, just measure the 2D height of your head, from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head. That should give you one solid number. Type that number into the "height" of your helmet 2D menu scale settings, and that should give you a decent starting point.

Any modifications you make personally will then be fitted against the helmet you have made. (The VR headset, for example. You'd just build your own attachment for it and stick it to your helmet. How you do that is up to you.)

Good luck! Love to see how this works out!

I'm a fan of very precise measurements. Sometimes my digital calipers just aren't big enough and the woodworking clamps come out.

If you're designing the helmet as a 3D model, I find it's best to take orthographic projections style pictures for the top, side, front and back of your head so that you can use them as a canvas and calibrate according to measurement points and then build a dummy blob-avatar head for your model. Bonus points if you mark your reference points on your head and face with sharpie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back