I need some Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because if you do it on the outside.......you are going to ruin any small details. Leave the outside for the Bondoing......is that even a word?......The Bondo will still leave enough of the detail for you to sand down to the correct configuration.
Ok, what is “bondoing” if you don’t mind explaining?

Ok, what is “bondoing” if you don’t mind explaining?

It's all in the step by step tutorial that PerniciousDuke posted about. It's automotive repair material that we use to fill dents and bump out areas in a helmet to get the correct shape or contour. Its almost like using a high strength Plaster of Paris or sheet rock compound to shape the helmet and then sand that down to smooth out.

I would recommend when you do make this wonderful project happen, post everything you do so we can guide you and answer any questions you may have. My biggest advice for you is to learn, but don't spend all your time searching the I internet instead of getting it done. Second is wear the best safety equipment you got. Third, just do it! There are going to be times you will procrastinate, get lazy, rather look at other peoples work instead of yours, or just get stumped. I say just keep pushing through and never quit. Have fun and I wish you the best of luck

I would recommend when you do make this wonderful project happen, post everything you do so we can guide you and answer any questions you may have. My biggest advice for you is to learn, but don't spend all your time searching the I internet instead of getting it done. Second is wear the best safety equipment you got. Third, just do it! There are going to be times you will procrastinate, get lazy, rather look at other peoples work instead of yours, or just get stumped. I say just keep pushing through and never quit. Have fun and I wish you the best of luck
I absolutely will, I’m really excited to get started. Unfortunately, I can’t until my birthday in about 8 days when I turn 16 and can get a job to purchase the materials required. But I don’t think procrastination will be a problem. I’m mostly worried about just being patient with the pepakura assembly

Will there be clear distinctions between mountain and valley folds on the paper?
One of the folds will be identified with dotted lines, the other with dashes. Usually it us self explanatory and you dont need to be too reliant on them (I have found atleast) patience is a virtue, and as long as you one everything up as close as possible, and dont rush through it, you will do just fine. TRIPLE CHECK YOU SCALED IT CORRECTLY AND ADD REINFORCMENTS so the helmet doesnt collapse a d dont let it warp. You'll do fine

Yes... Sizing.

Add an extra inch or two for the thickness of the fiberglass and padding.

I will absolutely do that. Unfortunately I can’t start until my birthday in a week, when I can then get a job to pay or the materials required. I’m not worried about procrastination on this, because I really want it. I’m really just worried about patience with the pepakura assembly

Yeah, I’ve never worked with resin before, but I do hear about the fumes they emit. Any clue as to which type is better? Fiberglass resin or Epoxy resin? I’ve heard either can be used

Epoxy resin uses a different ratio of hardener to resin and is supposedly less toxic/oderless (I haven't worked with it but I'd prolly use a respirator anyway). Fiberglass resin is cheaper (at least at my local wall-mart) but you gotta get a respirator, work outside and only use a few drops of harder. My local hardware store (Aubuchon) recommended me a nice $35 respirator complete with filters.

Bondoing......is that even a word?

We can make it one: we have the technology!

Epoxy resin uses a different ratio of hardener to resin and is supposedly less toxic/oderless (I haven't worked with it but I'd prolly use a respirator anyway). Fiberglass resin is cheaper (at least at my local wall-mart) but you gotta get a respirator, work outside and only use a few drops of harder. My local hardware store (Aubuchon) recommended me a nice $35 respirator complete with filters.

We can make it one: we have the technology!
So fiberglass resin is the basic option? And I believe I already have a respirator laying around somewhere

So fiberglass resin is the basic option? And I believe I already have a respirator laying around somewhere
You need a high quality automotive grade one if you want to protect yourself. The white disposable ones wont do you any good. The $35 sounds a out great. As for bonding, try not to cover the whole helmet in too much, as you will make the mistake I made a d sand for days straight and still feel like your not close. Sand by hand. You can use an orbital sander if you want at the beginning but handstand the rest to get it the best quality you can without making mistakes. Also, dont bondo little holes and details. Save that for later

You need a high quality automotive grade one if you want to protect yourself. The white disposable ones wont do you any good. The $35 sounds a out great. As for bonding, try not to cover the whole helmet in too much, as you will make the mistake I made a d sand for days straight and still feel like your not close. Sand by hand. You can use an orbital sander if you want at the beginning but handstand the rest to get it the best quality you can without making mistakes. Also, dont bondo little holes and details. Save that for later
Yeah, I meant I have one of the respirators with the filters and all on it. And thanks for the tip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back