I need some Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas Moore

Hi. My name is Nicholas. I’ve recently been looking into real life halo cosplay suits and stuff, and I think they just look epic. I saw a video that had someone cosplaying with my favorite helmet since Halo Reach. The E.O.D. Helmet. As soon as I saw that, I knew I needed it in my life. Problem is, I don’t want to spend $500 on a helmet, but I can’t find anything on how to make it, and I’ve never, ever, made anything like this, so my experience is 0. Literally none. I recently heard about this website, and I know forums can be a great place to receive help. So I was wondering if anyone here could aid me on my journey to build this sexy beast of a helmet. I’d prefer it was made out of foam or some kind of plastic (idk what materials are used to make these, like I said, 0 experience) not paper. But yeah, if anyone knows how, or could guide me on how to make the Halo Reach E.O.D. helmet, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Hi. My name is Nicholas. I’ve recently been looking into real life halo cosplay suits and stuff, and I think they just look epic. I saw a video that had someone cosplaying with my favorite helmet since Halo Reach. The E.O.D. Helmet. As soon as I saw that, I knew I needed it in my life. Problem is, I don’t want to spend $500 on a helmet, but I can’t find anything on how to make it, and I’ve never, ever, made anything like this, so my experience is 0. Literally none. I recently heard about this website, and I know forums can be a great place to receive help. So I was wondering if anyone here could aid me on my journey to build this sexy beast of a helmet. I’d prefer it was made out of foam or some kind of plastic (idk what materials are used to make these, like I said, 0 experience) not paper. But yeah, if anyone knows how, or could guide me on how to make the Halo Reach E.O.D. helmet, that would be awesome. Thanks!
If you have access to a 3D printer either through a school, library or local makerspace there is a fairly detailed EOD model on Thiniverse. In The Armory there is a pdo file for this helmet but due to some of the curvature it'd be a very difficult foam build but if you were very careful it could be done with some care.

Your distaste of paper is understandable. Is like to emphasize the paper is only the skeleton that you put fiberglass on. My reach helmet was made this way and it's quite robust. Paper isn't terrible, and you can get loads of detail in it.

But foam is super duper hard for grommets. Especially for beginners.

Your distaste of paper is understandable. Is like to emphasize the paper is only the skeleton that you put fiberglass on. My reach helmet was made this way and it's quite robust. Paper isn't terrible, and you can get loads of detail in it.

But foam is super duper hard for grommets. Especially for beginners.
I’m open to anything if it means I get this helmet. I was really just saying I don’t want to have it made of paper as the final product. I would like it to be a little more resilient and durable. I’m looking for how I can design and make it.

Last edited:
A few years back (lol 6 years!) I made a suit using foam underlayment, it was fairly durable and easy to work with, provided the hot glue gun didn't get too hot. Only downside is you get these weird ridges, but I think some flex seal might do the trick of hiding em...

I’m open to anything if it means I get this helmet. I was really just saying I don’t want to have it made of paper as the final product. I would like it to be a little more resilient and durable. I’m looking for how I can design and make it.

When you use the paper Pepakura method, yes, make the model out of folded card stock paper. But it is not left as paper, it is then reinforced with Resin and Fiberglass cloth or mat.
I would recommend reading through some threads here on the Pepakura method to get a better understanding of the method.
Resining & Fibre Glassing Tutorial/How To
Tutorial: Pepakura building for dummies (or noobs)
Tutorial: How to use Pepakura to make your Mjolnir Armor
crackhead09's Fiberglassing Tutorial
crackhead09's Pepakura Tutorial

When you use the paper Pepakura method, yes, make the model out of folded card stock paper. But it is not left as paper, it is then reinforced with Resin and Fiberglass cloth or mat.
I would recommend reading through some threads here on the Pepakura method to get a better understanding of the method.
Resining & Fibre Glassing Tutorial/How To
Tutorial: Pepakura building for dummies (or noobs)
Tutorial: How to use Pepakura to make your Mjolnir Armor
crackhead09's Fiberglassing Tutorial
crackhead09's Pepakura Tutorial
Thank you for all the links. So using the pepakura method is just connecting the pieces of paper together then using that to make a mold?

Thank you for all the links. So using the pepakura method is just connecting the pieces of paper together then using that to make a mold?
It could be but that'd be a lot of work for a highly polygonal helmet, not to mention extremely expensive, likely more than buying a cast model from Etsy.

Pepakura you harden the paper shell using resin and fibreglass on the inside to make a hard body from the paper and then add detail/curvature by sanding down the hard edges of paper and building up shapes with automotive body filler.

It could be but that'd be a lot of work for a highly polygonal helmet, not to mention extremely expensive, likely more than buying a cast model from Etsy.

Pepakura you harden the paper shell using resin and fibreglass on the inside to make a hard body from the paper and then add detail/curvature by sanding down the hard edges of paper and building up shapes with automotive body filler.
So I’m hardening the paper to a more plastic/fiberglass like texture? And it would be durable?

So if I can sum up what I’ve learned here. Print out a pepakura pattern onto card stock paper, connect and glue pieces together as specified. Then, coat the pepakura model with a layer or a few layers fiberglass resin or epoxy resin, then cover the whole thing in strips of fiberglass cloth using more layers to make it more durable. Is that about right?

So if I can sum up what I’ve learned here. Print out a pepakura pattern onto card stock paper, connect and glue pieces together as specified. Then, coat the pepakura model with a layer or a few layers fiberglass resin or epoxy resin, then cover the whole thing in strips of fiberglass cloth using more layers to make it more durable. Is that about right?

Then you sand the outside. A lot.
Don't forget to wear gloves, safety goggles and a respirator when working with resins. They're sticky and stink!

Correct. Assemble the paper pepakura model. Coat the outside with one or two layers of just fiberglass resin. This will add rigidity to help cut down on warping and plug up any gaps or holes in your paper model. You may also want to install some temporary support structures, people use Popsicle sticks, either before or after the outside to help cut down on warping. Once you have that outside coat you can then apply the strips of fiberglass resin soaked fiberglass mat or cloth to the inside.

That is the basic version. However, there are a few variations on this style.

1. Is after you have added you initial outside coat, you can make a mixture typically referred to as "Rondo" or "Mud." This is a mix of that fiberglass resin and Bondo Brand automotive filler. When probably mixed together it makes a thick, viscous liquid, that you can pour into the inside of your piece, and then you slush or tumble it around as it sets up and dries and hardens in a few minutes, coating the inside of your piece with a layer of strong material.

2. Basically the same as above, but you use a two-part casting resin and pretty much are using the papermodel as a one use mold to make a resin cast helmet. This option is pricey as you have to buy the casting resin.

I want to save you time and heartache.

Get a metal ruler and two colored pens.
Over each line, pres firmly with the pen, guided by the ruler, to "score" the card stock. One color represents mountain fold, the other color represents valley fold.

When done this way, you get crisp, clean results. Just finding the paper is more sloppy, and you don't want that. Each mistake is magnified later, and means A LOT of extra sanding and bondo, and that sucks.

Take your time. Watch something in the background (red vs. blue) while doing this. Pep is tedious at first, but very rewarding afterwards.
15507671188747449035230131258806.jpg

So if I can sum up what I’ve learned here. Print out a pepakura pattern onto card stock paper, connect and glue pieces together as specified.
Yes. Here is a tutorial: How to Assemble Pepakura
Here is the armor files for EOD (located in the armory tab at the top of page.)
Halo: Reach - MJOLNIR Mark V - EOD

Then, coat the pepakura model with a layer or a few layers fiberglass resin or epoxy resin, then cover the whole thing in strips of fiberglass cloth using more layers to make it more durable. Is that about right?
"cover the whole thing *on the inside* in strips of fiberglass"
The whole hardening process needs a well ventalated area to work with these products and also for sanding.
Here is a tutorial: CEREAL'S - Making Master Chief - ** A Step By Step Tutorial (My Way) **

"cover the whole thing *on the inside* in strips of fiberglass"

Because if you do it on the outside.......you are going to ruin any small details. Leave the outside for the Bondoing......is that even a word?......The Bondo will still leave enough of the detail for you to sand down to the correct configuration.

Then you sand the outside. A lot.
Don't forget to wear gloves, safety goggles and a respirator when working with resins. They're sticky and stink!
Yeah, I’ve never worked with resin before, but I do hear about the fumes they emit. Any clue as to which type is better? Fiberglass resin or Epoxy resin? I’ve heard either can be used

Last edited:
I want to save you time and heartache.

Get a metal ruler and two colored pens.
Over each line, pres firmly with the pen, guided by the ruler, to "score" the card stock. One color represents mountain fold, the other color represents valley fold.

When done this way, you get crisp, clean results. Just finding the paper is more sloppy, and you don't want that. Each mistake is magnified later, and means A LOT of extra sanding and bondo, and that sucks.

Take your time. Watch something in the background (red vs. blue) while doing this. Pep is tedious at first, but very rewarding afterwards.
View attachment 266552
Am I correct in assuming mountain folds are ones that go up, and valley folds are ones that go down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back