I need some support 405th, calling for assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissker

As Posted in my edited post on my cog armor thread (in creation)

I really don't know what I am doing anymore and I have no extra cash to have failed projects. Kinda depressed and not feelin great. Could really use some support on this, or a helping hand, or just some words of wisdom.

As it is I might only have what's shown done in time for the Release, mostly because of job-hour cuts and lack of money to buy supplies AND the GOW3 xbox360. Kinda wanted the console as a b-day present to myself (bday is on friday july 15, so a late one) but even that is looking pretty bleak with hour cuts and budgeting.

Basically if I do have enough money for the console, it will be just barely, and I can't buy supplies to finish my works right now, other option being cancelling the console and making the suit but having that empty feeling in Sept. So I am trying to make every piece of foam, every stick of glue I have - count.

I can live with "just the torso" done. So for now I am scrapping all other parts. (since most weren't even Pepped yet, this didn't use any materials).

I have 1 small container of resin left (used about 5oz)
I have 1/2 gallon of Bondo - but it is last year's leftovers - and 0 hardener to test if it will still harden properly. (dunno where it went)
I have 3 EVA foam mats, and a handful of 'foamies' 2mm craft foam.
Also seem to have 2 fiberglass resin hardener tubes (liquids) unopened for some reason, and was wondering if the liquid could be used to harden bondo putty

Besides Painting - I'd like to get everything done on the torso by the end of July if possible, which will allow me to see my supplies and see if I can budget any other parts in.

I just need some instructional advice.. what next?

In a slump here.

I really need some back-up here, feel like I am going in LASO style including Blind against all the covvies.

I find myself in a depression loop which is a very bad thing for gaming, life, and hobbies and I want to break it, just gotta have a hand doing so.

None of my family really get this stuff, it's just 'a mess' to them. The only friend that I have that gets this stuff is currently jobless with his own problems and hasn't been able to work on his armor at all in months.

So.. here's my arm.. I am reachin' out for some support, get me a lift off this hellish rock.

It sucks when you dont have the materials and you have a deadline, I know personally as my MK VI literally got painted 2 hours before the reach release, and I gotta say that was a clutch. But If you have that torso done, remember that the other parts dont use much foam at all. You could also use other materials, like cardboard, which works okay on foam, but needs the sides covered by thin strips of foam. Remember, its just the torso, wrist protection, (optional upper arm protection), The shins, the side plates under the torso held on by the belt, and some thingh protection on the sides. The torso takes alot of foam, but the boots only really need the front and back, with the cover on top of your shoe. The rest will be the little stuff.

Well the torso is Pep + Fiberglass, no foam at all right now, plan to re-do the neck with foam and the 'edges' so I have some comfort.
Check the thread it's in:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33103-My-GOW-Cog-(NEED-HELP)

It has some deformities, and some sharp edges because I decided to cut some material cost and jump right into matt/cloth with resin instead of resin-coating, so I added 'patchwork' bits on the outside to reinforce and allow it to hold up to being laid on it's side/top/whatever without any supports. The deformities are easily fixed though, just slightly wrong-angled bits that need filled/sanded to desired shape.

I am just trying to really decide to trust or not the Bondo from last year. I tried mixing a rondo mix (but didn't do 1:1 ratios) to see if it would harden at all and it Gelled with brittle results. Tacky finish too, not sure if I got the mix right. Figured a splash of resin would be cheaper then gas to the store and buying bondo's red paste cure agent. Still unsure the results though, if the bondo is bad, just buying the hardener isn't gonna help much, and set me back the $3+ toward a small can of bondo.

I literally have no money for extra supplies. I budgeted out my paychecks and assuming I get the same hours I've gotten the last 2 months, I will pay my bills, and gas to get to work and back, cut some food money out, and still rely on my birthday to get money from relatives in order to even come close to the $400 console in Sept.
0 hobby money sucks, but I think a no-console Sept empty feeling would be worse. That's why I am trying to see all my options before mixing up any more resin/bondo/rondo or otherwise using supplies.

Basically.. it's ration time, the smallest amount of supplies used for the greatest results.
If I can only get the torso/shoulders done, that's fine, any more then that is just a bonus, main goal changed from Full Suit to "get the chest done!" from hours cut at work (no hours, no money, no money, no supplies)

This sounds exactly like what I was going through like a month ago.Except it was ,Will I have enough money to make my armor and get to PAX.:)O Needless to say its realy depressing.(I couldn't sleep one night because of it:()Anyway when I get back from PAX (pretty much like september 1st)Im planning on doing a GOW suit for the midnight release also.If I have time ill help make the pieces you don't have. When I get back from PAX ill send you a PM,k. :)

I did a little splurge ona whim

I decided to buy a new batch of bondo (sadly only small container was bondo gold, so we'll see how that works) and a small tube of red hardener to test out on the old batch I had.

Now it still comes down to 'what to do next' on the armor though, and the cost may be part of the bundle in september.

But then again, I am gonna scrimp change too - and I think I can come up with $13 in change by Sept.

I think everyone who has a serious hobby finds themselves in this situation at one point or another. Personally I just gave up my job to go back to uni and it's sure taking some adjustment to get used to the lack of income but you have to realize that you do the hobby for yourself, it should be something you enjoy and not something that is going to be a source of stress or depression. If I was in your situation and I'd made up my mind I wanted both the console and to finish my costume I would probably look into getting a second hand console. Sure, it's nice to get a shiny new one but sometimes you have to make the best of things right? Perhaps that's a route you could look into?
Also Happy birthday, mine was the 14th!

I agree with Stray completely

A second hand console isn't bad my H3 360 was second hand, paid $120 for it
Was brand new too, some guy recieved one as a b-day gift after his GF had already bought one

So, he traded it in to Gamestop, I got the system, H3 headset, two controllers and the gold membership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back