I was told this is the place to come for making some armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphateam

I hope this is the right place. I see this is Halo centric, but I'm told you might be the friendly sort for my questions.

Let me tell a bit about myself. I'm looking to make an Iron Man suit. I've been an Iron Man fan since I was a kid. I saw some tutorials using Pepakura and they looking very time consuming. But I guess any good armor would be. Anyway, I want an old school suit not a movie suit. Something like a John Romita Jr or Bob Layton suit from the late 80's early 90's.

Here is lies the question...do I Pepakura or 3D print it? I have zero experience with the Pepakua route. However I have been using 3D modeling programs off and on for 20 years now, mostly off. I'm familiar enough I think I could pick it up again pretty easy enough to make a suit if I can't find a model. At work I do have access to a 3D printer for which I'd also have to buy the material, which is about $4 a cubic inch I'm told. It only prints in 8x8x8 pieces so if I go the printing route I figure I'd have to make some sort of interlocking lego type connectors to make them lock in better. Or maybe there is a better route for connecting the pieces? I have a friend who is pretty good with Bondo so filling in the seams should not be a problem.

First off, welcome to the 405th! Hopefully we can supply you with what you need to start your build. From what I can tell you seem like you know what your doing with the 3d modeling. If your comfortable with that method your suit will be incredibly accurate. I'd read up on the forums about 3d printing before you start do anything.

-PHIL

I hope this is the right place. I see this is Halo centric, but I'm told you might be the friendly sort for my questions.

Let me tell a bit about myself. I'm looking to make an Iron Man suit. I've been an Iron Man fan since I was a kid. I saw some tutorials using Pepakura and they looking very time consuming. But I guess any good armor would be. Anyway, I want an old school suit not a movie suit. Something like a John Romita Jr or Bob Layton suit from the late 80's early 90's.

Here is lies the question...do I Pepakura or 3D print it? I have zero experience with the Pepakua route. However I have been using 3D modeling programs off and on for 20 years now, mostly off. I'm familiar enough I think I could pick it up again pretty easy enough to make a suit if I can't find a model. At work I do have access to a 3D printer for which I'd also have to buy the material, which is about $4 a cubic inch I'm told. It only prints in 8x8x8 pieces so if I go the printing route I figure I'd have to make some sort of interlocking lego type connectors to make them lock in better. Or maybe there is a better route for connecting the pieces? I have a friend who is pretty good with Bondo so filling in the seams should not be a problem.
3d printing can be a good method, though it will still take time. As said above, it will definitely be very accurate. As far as connecting pieces, I think many people just straight up glue them together, but I've thought that making jigsaw-puzzle-esque connections between parts would make them more sturdy.

Welcome to the 405th. There is a lot of helpful information all over these forums that will help you. Just poke around in your down time, if you haven't.

Non-Halo Costumes and Props is set up for these kinds of projects and there may be some people frequenting that group with more knowledge on Ironman. Also, therpf.com is a good source for a variety of costume themes. Not that I'm trying to turn you away, but thought more resources would help.

I've been working on a Pep/Resin build for about 8 months now and it is time consuming. The effort required to get good detail is so much more than what a 3d print could do for you. So, if you have access and knowledge for 3d printers, I'd suggest you stick with what you know. I just preordered a 3d printer myself and can't wait to break into that realm.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back