If We Wanted To Improve The 405Th Forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
id like the search engine to be more user friendly and easier to use, if u type in an extra word it can add tons of pages to go through

My idea would be to make sections in the forum for "Halo/Ironman/Starcraft" Whatever should happen to come up. Since this site is mainly halo related maybe just Halo and then another for Everything else? Then under those main section have subsections listed with different armor types like MKIV/MKV/MKVI/ODST with a stickie moderated by someone dedicated to that particular armor set that adds commonly asked questions as they come up, like a link to the thread or a quote with credit who knows. This would have to be built upon over time but I think this would take a little pressure off elite members having to help noobs so much and the questions they would get asked wouldn't be on the sticky. So they could PM the mod of that armor set and have them add that or request help finding the answers from that armor sets community. Of course that's only for the noobs that actually pay attention and read stickies (but we all make mistakes sometimes) Again that's just my suggestion but I really do believe it would make it easier on everyone.

As Iren said a better search engine would be nice too but I use google and add +405th.com works fairly well.

Going off what aces said as well I think people calling out someone for asking a question in a sticky necro is quite dumb, is it not the purpose of a sticky to be informative and help members? It's ALWAYS at the top of the list, how is that a necro post? And although I'm a HUGE fan of searching through 20 pages of comments, it shouldn't have to be that way, anything stickied or important revelations should be updated in the FIRST POST lol. Thats just good maintenance. You shouldn't have to read through 20 pages of peoples random comments to get to the OPs important info or answered questions 15 pages in. Although that's a personal thing not a forum change but it should be encouraged.

You know what would really be nice is another section for different projects, like if I'm doing my Ghost put together, or something that doesnt apply to halo, armor, pepakura, Just clothing that's wqorn by in-game characters.

I would like to see a separate WIP section, where all the WIP threads go. I think it would be good to have them separate from the Creation Discussion forums and use the Creation Discussion forums only for discussing how to, not to display what you have done.

I second the things said by grim ace and high. Each of those would be nice little additions. Also with my idea you would have someones post become stickied so that it's always at that top of that armor set's topics and they can edit it, there would be no need for them to be an actual forum moderator. If they ever moved on a moderator could come in copy everything and give it to someone else to take over.

I do not know if it has been suggested before, but I've noticed the "stickies" (threads) take up half the page. That just looks odd to me, and I usualy scroll right down to read the newer threads. How about consolidating all stickies (on a per forum basis) into a single post. Inside that post named "stickies" (or something?). Looks cleaner, and people wanting a tutorial or see an exceptional showpiece can just visit that area. Think of it as a virtual "howto" library area.

I do not know how practical that change would be, what do y'all think?

Like most people are saying, there should really be a section of just tutorials. Even if there isn't the stickies in, say, the Pepakura creation section should be in the order they would be used. So the first tutorials in the list would be on pre-pepping/scaling, then printing/scoring/folding/gluing, then resining/fiberglassing, the bondoing/detailing, then painting/wiring, etc... Also, I feel like the pepakura download hub isn't worth anything as is. It's a fantastic idea, but there's just not enough content there. The pep wiki is significantly better than the download hub IMHO (even though they have basically the same files). Also, maybe adding the ability to add files to the download hub, since there's so many files all over the place, it'd be a pain to search through all the topics looking for them. Just let the users add them, and review hub submissions before they're actually put up.

Just my 2 cents, but what do I know? =P

I would like to see a function to ignore topics. There are certain topics I don't want to read, so not having it show up in the lists at all would be great. (Disclaimer: I have searched and not found such a feature, if it exists, please point me to where)

If you put a member of the forum on your ignore list, topics started by that member should not be visible either. I doubt that many people would have interest in topics started by someone they are ignoring.

Im sorry that this does not relate to the other topics but could we please,please have an easyer way to post pics, like copy and past from your picture folder on your computer?

I think that a "Shoutbox" type chat input would be great.

We have one on a different site i go to, and its GREAT to ask/get questions, talk about anything, and just generally socialize and make friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back