IGNORE IDEA WILL NOT WORK

Should i make a video?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefcjg

Hello anyone and everyone reading this.

I am currently working on constructing a Halo 5 spartan armor suit. ( as well as a couple small props like maybe a grenade or two.)

only ways i see to do it are to do it either roughly by hand or by doing the pepakura paper fold like in the armory.( which i am too stupid to do personally.)

the idea i have is to actually make a blue print pattern of all detailed sides of the suit/prop by doing a trace in Adobe Illustrator, then cutting the foam out and constructing it. after that taking worbla to the outside to help it become long lasting.

has anyone else done this?
should i create a video or two showing what i am doing and the creation process?

any tips/tricks anyone would recommend?

You dont have to use the pepakura paper method, but you can use the files specifically for foam and use those on the foam and assemble your armour that way, then seal it in plasti-dip or PVA glue. This is how i make my armour and how a lot of other people do it. i personally haven't used the paper method but im sure that anyone who has done a bit of it could shed some light onto it for you.
Im also not sure how worbla would go but i knows its pretty expensive and im guessing it would cover a lot of detail. You don't really need to put anything around it anyway, if you take care of it the foam should stay in good condition for a while, ive had my ODST for almost a year and a half now and its still holding up fine!
Anyway i hope this helps and yes i did read the title of the thread but I'm rebellious so i didn't listen to it!....sorry!

You dont have to use the pepakura paper method, but you can use the files specifically for foam and use those on the foam and assemble your armour that way, then seal it in plasti-dip or PVA glue. This is how i make my armour and how a lot of other people do it. i personally haven't used the paper method but im sure that anyone who has done a bit of it could shed some light onto it for you.
Im also not sure how worbla would go but i knows its pretty expensive and im guessing it would cover a lot of detail. You don't really need to put anything around it anyway, if you take care of it the foam should stay in good condition for a while, ive had my ODST for almost a year and a half now and its still holding up fine!
Anyway i hope this helps and yes i did read the title of the thread but I'm rebellious so i didn't listen to it!....sorry!
yes no i got a better idea of mixxing worbla and foam together to last a long time.

Ultimately it really depends on what you are comfortable with using. If you like using thermoplastics like worbla to make things then by all means share your process through pics or what have you with the community. The old saying that there is more than one way to skin a cat is very applicable to cosplay. Just when you think you e seen it all someone else comes up with a really new and cool way to do stuff. What you make is only limited by your imagination. A lot of people use a duct tap dummy or life cast to help them with their armor making. It give a reasonable-exact representation of your body and you can use cheap construction paper to make patterns and such.

As far as pepakura and being "too stupid". Pep work in and of itself is a very straight forward and easy process. Print everything, cut and score everything, test fit pieces and then glue everything up lining up the numbers as reference. I prefer using superglue for pep work because it sets fast and leaves no nasty residue all over like hot glue. Depending on the file size you might go through a lot. I recently went through 3 1/2 tubes for an ODST helmet. Pep work is mundane, boring and takes a long time but ultimately yields more detail with things like helmets IMO. You just have to take your time and be patient using the pep method. After its pepped you will need to harden it so that you can fix imperfections and make it last. Just have faith.

With foam I have not found a ton of "foam templates" that look like they work well. Over the past week I've tried several Pep files that have been "modified" for foam but ultimately it's just a pep file with the tabs deleted. I haven't liked the way any of them have turned out so I am doing a version of what you mentioned with Adobe Illustrator. I'm importing obj files into Illustrator from the pep files and tracing the front outlines. I take measurements in pepakura viewer and then add on things to the file to get it to look the way I want it to. I try it out with a piece of card stock or paper to see if it will work and if I like it I leave it. When I have some templates completely to my liking I will eventually post them in a thread when I get around to showing my ODST build I am in the process of. Biggest tip I can recommend is to be patient and don't be afraid of failure or wasting foam to try something out. I've always said I've never failed. I've always won or learned.

Foam is its own animal just like pepakura and if you use Illustrator to make your templates make sure you have a thorough grasp of techniques to use so you can plot out your templates to ensure the least amount of seams and cleanup work that you can. For example you can take something that is a box shape and make it out of 1 piece of foam instead of 5 if you sit and think about how everything will line up and by scoring and cutting the back side of the foam to bend it and make your edges.

As to foam and worbla keep in mind that the foam shrinks somewhat every time heat is applied to it and changes the dimensions and scale of it. It also can start to become brittle if overheated. I would hate for you to make a perfect part and then it is ruined by you having to heat the worbla over the foam under a heat gun constantly to push it around details and then your foam falls apart. Especially if you used hot glue to put it together. If it works great, but just food for thought. The worbla would make the outside rigid and yes a little more durable. If you seal the foam right (heat seal, then use modge podge/PVAu glue, plastidip or bulldog adhesion promoter) and paint you will find the foam is very durable. I prefer plastidip for detailed pieces to help retain the detail and adhesion promoter for everything else. A lot of people overlook the insides of the foam pieces. Make sure to seal the seams on the inside also. If something fails in foam armor it is usually where the seams are. I use contact cement for joining foam pieces because there's very seldom spill out and i don't have to worry about burning myself like using hot glue. Sweat will erode contact cement though over time so extra care has to be taken to seal it off so sweat won't get to it. Then again, sweat is very corrosive and can mess up almost anything.

If you haven't figured it out already I like to ramble. I've been away for a long time and apparently missed some changes that have happened to the 405th, but for now I'm back and I hope that in my ramblings something has helped. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Ultimately it really depends on what you are comfortable with using. If you like using thermoplastics like worbla to make things then by all means share your process through pics or what have you with the community. The old saying that there is more than one way to skin a cat is very applicable to cosplay. Just when you think you e seen it all someone else comes up with a really new and cool way to do stuff. What you make is only limited by your imagination. A lot of people use a duct tap dummy or life cast to help them with their armor making. It give a reasonable-exact representation of your body and you can use cheap construction paper to make patterns and such.

As far as pepakura and being "too stupid". Pep work in and of itself is a very straight forward and easy process. Print everything, cut and score everything, test fit pieces and then glue everything up lining up the numbers as reference. I prefer using superglue for pep work because it sets fast and leaves no nasty residue all over like hot glue. Depending on the file size you might go through a lot. I recently went through 3 1/2 tubes for an ODST helmet. Pep work is mundane, boring and takes a long time but ultimately yields more detail with things like helmets IMO. You just have to take your time and be patient using the pep method. After its pepped you will need to harden it so that you can fix imperfections and make it last. Just have faith.

With foam I have not found a ton of "foam templates" that look like they work well. Over the past week I've tried several Pep files that have been "modified" for foam but ultimately it's just a pep file with the tabs deleted. I haven't liked the way any of them have turned out so I am doing a version of what you mentioned with Adobe Illustrator. I'm importing obj files into Illustrator from the pep files and tracing the front outlines. I take measurements in pepakura viewer and then add on things to the file to get it to look the way I want it to. I try it out with a piece of card stock or paper to see if it will work and if I like it I leave it. When I have some templates completely to my liking I will eventually post them in a thread when I get around to showing my ODST build I am in the process of. Biggest tip I can recommend is to be patient and don't be afraid of failure or wasting foam to try something out. I've always said I've never failed. I've always won or learned.

Foam is its own animal just like pepakura and if you use Illustrator to make your templates make sure you have a thorough grasp of techniques to use so you can plot out your templates to ensure the least amount of seams and cleanup work that you can. For example you can take something that is a box shape and make it out of 1 piece of foam instead of 5 if you sit and think about how everything will line up and by scoring and cutting the back side of the foam to bend it and make your edges.

As to foam and worbla keep in mind that the foam shrinks somewhat every time heat is applied to it and changes the dimensions and scale of it. It also can start to become brittle if overheated. I would hate for you to make a perfect part and then it is ruined by you having to heat the worbla over the foam under a heat gun constantly to push it around details and then your foam falls apart. Especially if you used hot glue to put it together. If it works great, but just food for thought. The worbla would make the outside rigid and yes a little more durable. If you seal the foam right (heat seal, then use modge podge/PVAu glue, plastidip or bulldog adhesion promoter) and paint you will find the foam is very durable. I prefer plastidip for detailed pieces to help retain the detail and adhesion promoter for everything else. A lot of people overlook the insides of the foam pieces. Make sure to seal the seams on the inside also. If something fails in foam armor it is usually where the seams are. I use contact cement for joining foam pieces because there's very seldom spill out and i don't have to worry about burning myself like using hot glue. Sweat will erode contact cement though over time so extra care has to be taken to seal it off so sweat won't get to it. Then again, sweat is very corrosive and can mess up almost anything.

If you haven't figured it out already I like to ramble. I've been away for a long time and apparently missed some changes that have happened to the 405th, but for now I'm back and I hope that in my ramblings something has helped. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

i have found temptlates for foam piece for the easier to make parts, the legs arms and pretty much everything but the chest and helmet. so what i am going to do is i have started making the chest piece of out foam from rough schematics and reference pictures. the helmet going to do pepkura way as much as it seems like something i will mess up haha.

one thing that i am testing and will let everyone here know how it works is im going to put worbla over the eva foam builds i do so as to reinforce it and make it a bit more sturdy and color protective.

i am also making videos of all the steps i am going through so as to help people in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back