I'm back! Project : ODST (in time for Halo4 release)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandoMan531

UPDATE- 7-30-14 -
Bringing this back from the dead! Originally I was building this costume for the Halo 4 release, but life prevented that. Recently dug the project out with the intent to finish it for NYCC. Updated pic etc on later pages!!!

Hey guys. Been away from the boards for a long while. Recently just got active on the RPF and Dented Helmet again as well. I had quite a few WIP's way back when but unfortunately most of them were lost or damaged in a move. Anywas I'm back and Into another project. Finally getting around to doing an ODST, figured I can wear it to the Halo 4 release at the local Gamestop. Not making it particularly accurate to any version, using some elements of the WETA version, Halo 3/ODST and possibly some elements from Halo 4. Kind of an amalgamation of versions into my own "real world" adaptation. Not a ton of progress so far, mostly working on the helmet. It's Ruze model and I'm going to be modifying the detail akin to Rubes finished helmet. I received one of his vac formed visors ages ago and thankfully it survived. Anyways onto some pics.

Here's the helmet as it stands, not much work done to the back as thats the area I'll have to modify the most. Iron Man photbombing after his paint test.
9E76C2ED-8DC3-4841-A536-1530720E500B-4310-0000085ADCEEF47A.jpg

Here's the pieces I have pepped so far and ready for resin. Shoulder, knee and gauntlet. They were all close enough at default scale for me.
13750459-753A-4F54-A1D3-3D54DAA88F2E-4310-0000085A891F4C63.jpg

A072E7FF-1E27-42D4-8B3B-FFE4F8701462-4310-0000085A8F0ABF30.jpg

A0D99172-C85D-44A0-B919-878D19A495B9-4310-0000085A9461FE06.jpg

The Knee, shoulder and shin I can make just one of since theyre symmetrical left to right and I'll be molding and casting all these pieces. For weapons I'm doing the M6SOCOM and either battle rifle or DMR. I did the sliced M6 in the 1/4" slices L3X specified but it turned out waaaaay too thick.

Anyways, back to the helmet...More updates later.

that looks like Kirrou's tester helm. i dont know if you are planning on etching the details in later or if you are planning on the HD in the future, just my .02

Nope def not a tester helm :) its Ruze's model as i said. I filled in the cheek detail since it was recessed rather than raised, all the detail is being added later once i get the basic shapes down.

did that for halo 1's remake for gamestop, in fact three suits and weapons, mine had more work put into it then the others. :( but since then i've been unhauling things, that's with my suit, note's you might want to keep in mine.

1. see if you can do a skin for the suit.

2. see if you can build one of the new guns.

3. see if you can do something big like bring the games out in a chest or locker.

4. see if you can get an ATV/ mongoose.

5. see if you can show foreword unto dawn to those whos couldn't get the limited.

oh and yes 4 out 5 five of those are bing done down here. oh ah.

did that for halo 1's remake for gamestop, in fact three suits and weapons, mine had more work put into it then the others. :( but since then i've been unhauling things, that's with my suit, note's you might want to keep in mine.

1. see if you can do a skin for the suit.

2. see if you can build one of the new guns.

3. see if you can do something big like bring the games out in a chest or locker.

4. see if you can get an ATV/ mongoose.

5. see if you can show foreword unto dawn to those whos couldn't get the limited.

oh and yes 4 out 5 five of those are bing done down here. oh ah.
He's going to do what he wants, dude. Let him decide.
===========================

On Topic:

You're doing an awesome, bro. I will be following this thread. :)

Thanks for the comments, and ACDcrockr209 for the encouragement. Been working on pepping the shin on and off today. For the torso I decided to use Hugh's base instead of the Weta style base, I just may add a taller neck ring like the Weta style has. That I'm going to attempt in foam, all the armor packs will be regular pep, finished, molded and cast. Undersuit will most likely be close fitting BDU in a subdued urban camo, with the "soft" armor like the torso base, shoulder base and midsection added on top and the hard armor attached to those. Not sure how I'm going to attemp the weapons yet. I have some ideas I'd liketo add to the armor like some accent lighting, and a "Tac computer" to the left gauntlet which will probably just be a holder for my iPhone running a custom app. I may attempt a ODST backpack or something, we'll see.

Did a bit more work on the helmet today, just getting my main surfaces even to prepare for the detail. Decided to totally bondo in the side vents and build the "rim" around each vent in styrene or something. Cutting out the vent openings at this point I think would be too hard. I'll sculpt on the raised cheek and chin details soon, but the back requires the most work. Also began my vest portion of the suit out of foam, decided to use the textured side, may add more details around the area that are visible once the armor plates are attached.
011C51D8-3431-43F5-9EEE-EE02AAD78980-305-00000091C7936DEC.jpg

A4C20AD4-2328-4DAA-AF3B-C7350545CF4D-305-00000091CD83532A.jpg

78C6F014-0FC2-4D7E-8239-BEA5586629F1-305-00000091D8A44147.jpg

6B512851-4D30-4194-963F-49FC31D57DBC-305-00000091D298629B.jpg

Small update : found some webbing for the shoulder pad straps, was gonna buy new stuff but I didn't want it to look too new as my character has "dropped in" numerous times and saw more than a few battles :) gotta find a fabric to cover the pads in, cut the channel for the webbing and fix the collar, it's a bit crooked and I may make it a tiny bit taller. It looks a bit wonky cuz the webbing and pads aren't fastened down yet.
705D6BBD-8251-4777-931A-A2E0C6703BBA-80-00000005C04F3DDE.jpg

Also started my knife and sheath. Once done I will mold and cast this and put the wood master away for safe keeping. The grip panels will be separate pieces so I can mold them in rubber, plastic, possibly carbon fiber. Just began layering the raised detail and drawing on the recessed parts.
DD01CAEF-0E5E-495E-9A33-B4FBD90FE298-80-000000334A63F1F2.jpg

15E8E6BA-57F5-4CC1-900C-F3F03AA2B10C-80-000000333EAAF49D.jpg

I have plenty of knives big and small. Just a bit more practical for a costume to have a rubber or foam, even plastic, knife. Since I'll be wearing it to the Halo 4 release, which I'm sure will be loaded with kids, it seems the most practical idea IMO.

okay, so kids going to get a rated m game that night sure take the fake one. but the more life like the better, i mean sure some of us might push out 5k and make a real suit of ODST, i wish i could. oh and another thing are you going to make a custom chest peice from reach or is it going to be the normal chest?

i mean sure some of us might push out 5k and make a real suit of ODST
5 thousand dollars is way too much for an ODST costume. 5K is also not enough to make a real, functional ODST suit.

Okay guys/girls, this project is BACK FROM THE DEADDDDDD!!
I've been away for awhile so I'm sure a lot has changed. I'm having an issue I wanted to run by you guys to see if I can get some help. The original pc I had my files on it out of commission and I'm not able to get the files off my harddrive at the moment. I downloaded pepakura designer 3 on a friends computer (I previously had version 2 on my PC), to get the rest of the files I need printed (gauntlets, shins, knees, shoulders, and the belt equipment) I've tried files off the File Index, but every file I open in Pep shows nothing in either the 2D or 3D window. The only files I could get to work were WETA chest plates. Like I said I haven't used any of this in awhile so it could be a simple error I'm making. The files in particular that I tried were Kirrous hinged shoulder and some of Hugh Holders files. So if anyone can help that would be great :)
Anyways on to the update.

In the past few days I plastidip'd the main vest, added the shoulder straps, and industrial Velcro on the right side to get in and out. Pepped the center chest plate a little oversized since I plan to reshape it a bit once it's hardened, waiting to find suitable cloth for the left/right plates. Pepped the lower center plate and did the rib plates (not sure I like the material I used so I may change that). Also did the side plates on the vest, under the arms. Can't see em in the pic but they're there!

null_zpsde27186a.jpg

null_zps8ba35f4b.jpg

Hi, so.. I'm a new recruit and I have seen a lot of people mentioning molding, do you HAVE to mold? Also, maybe your friend's computer could be acting up, or someone of the files could've been corrupted during download, that happened with a couple of my Mark VI armor files.

Nah you don't have to mold anything if you don't want to. Parts get heavy quick though and molded/cast stuf is way lighter.

hey guys,

Iv just joined up this evening and am sat printing off parts as I type.

Just wanted to say the work you have done here is amazing buddy, keep it up.... and I hope you don't mind if I ask you for help in the coming weeks/months

phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back