I'm back

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuckerDidIt

Well, here I am again. It's been an interesting road.

TL;DR: I'm back and am 3D printing HALO armor for myself. Armor for the dog will have to take a bit longer as I'm still trying to figure out how to design it. Please skip to the bold face for where I have some questions I could use some help with.

I am still Derek, and Caboose is still the black lab, but he's put on another 16 pounds and weighs in at a hefty (and somewhat portly) 60 lbs. The plan is still to make custom HALO armor in Tucker's (from Red vs Blue) distinctive aqua, and to make a set of armor for Caboose (yes, the dog) to wear in Caboose's (from the same show) standard dark blue with his specific helmet.

A couple of things have changed. First off, I decided that the Rubie's costume was complete crap. It's flimsy. It's built for someone 6'5" tall, and the fasteners are terrible. I doubt it would make it through even one convention, much less multiples. I would not recommend anyone purchase any Rubies costumes! My girlfriend bought a 1960's Batman Catwoman costume and parts were falling off of it before we even got to our first convention. Between that $120 disaster and my $200 waste buying the Rubie's junk, we should have gone with option B right from the get go. (Option A was to try to reinforce the Rubie's costume with some kind of sealing foam, but it was just too large and too shoddily made.)

In December of 2018 (About the same time I posted here last), I decided to buy a 3D printer. Unfortunately, what with work and everything, it more or less sat in my den for 14 months before I got it up and running a few days ago.

So, I'm in the process of printing this armor, which is coming along fairly well. Hopefully by tomorrow evening I will have one arm. (The left one, if anyone is curious.) Along the way, I also purchased this helmet, which I like, although it arrived looking deformed, like it had either had a weight set on it in shipping or had not been allowed to cool properly before having pressure put on it. Some judicious application of a heat gun and I have managed to get it close to the right shape. I'll also be replacing the visor (because what's in there is pretty craptastic) with a gold motorcycle visor.

I have a couple of mods I want to make to the helmet and armor if anyone has suggestions.

Mod#1: I would like to add a helmet microphone with a speaker that is either in the front mouthpiece of the helmet or located in the chestpiece of the armor. I'm stumped on how to do this, although adding a mic to the helmet is simple enough.

Mod#2: I am considering adding sound amplifiers to the helmet as well. I have a vague idea for this: basically yank the electronics out of a pair of sound dampening electronic earmuffs like you'd wear at the gun range. I'm just curious if anyone has done something similar to their helmets.

Mod #3: I am also considering adding closed cell foam like this to the inside of the armor pieces, both for comfort and to make it easier to attach velcro fasteners to the pieces. Has anyone experimented with this stuff in their armor?

I'll be reading through some of the archives for the next few days and slowly joining conversations. I'm hoping to have a prototype of the armor completed by the end of June-- I have 54 pieces to print, so if I can print and assemble one per day without too many redos, I should meet that goal.

Thanks for reading. See you folks soon!

Derek (and Caboose)

Welcome back! I look forward to seeing your Tucker and dog Caboose armour. I'm curious as to how you will interpret the Mjolnir for a dog (don't forget to make it extra comfortable, we don't want any sad doggos!). If you're looking for a mic/speaker tutorial, here is a recent one by MoeSizzlac
I haven't tried it myself but hopefully it will be of some use to you. In regards to the foam padding, I'd personally opt for something a bit thicker and lighter, for cushioning. To attach velcro, I'd probably scratch up the inside of the 3D print and use epoxy to hold it (I once used hot glue on PLA and it slightly warped the print).
Have fun!

Welcome back! I look forward to seeing your Tucker and dog Caboose armour. I'm curious as to how you will interpret the Mjolnir for a dog (don't forget to make it extra comfortable, we don't want any sad doggos!).

I've been looking at pics of actual body armor for canine law enforcement and military working dogs. I think the best thing to do is get a standard working dog MOLLE harness and affix the armor to the MOLLE straps. I was considering getting a child's Halloween costume and altering the shirt to fit, which since it's fabric should be much more comfortable, but I think it would be too hot. The MOLLE harnesses are actually made for comfort and breathability. Some are fairly inexpensive.

My biggest concern is trying to find a way to put a helmet on the little bugger. I was considering getting a doggy football helmet and affixing Caboose's distinctive black mkIV helmet visor to it, but I have a lot more thinking to do, first.

If you're looking for a mic/speaker tutorial, here is a recent one by MoeSizzlac

Ha! I think I'm printing his armor, actually. Thanks!

I haven't tried it myself but hopefully it will be of some use to you. In regards to the foam padding, I'd personally opt for something a bit thicker and lighter, for cushioning. To attach velcro, I'd probably scratch up the inside of the 3D print and use epoxy to hold it (I once used hot glue on PLA and it slightly warped the print).
Have fun!

I'm printing the armor at 85%, so it fits fairly snugly on my frame (at least the test prints have). Because of that, I don't need a lot of padding. Also, I had the suit for the Rubies costume professionally altered to fit me, and I'm considering wearing the armor over that. (It's that or UnderArmour.) I'm actually more concerned how I'm going to get velcro to stick properly to the undersuit than the armor. (I'd use a spray cyanoacrylic adhesive to affix the foam, and then the same to stick the hook side to the foam.) I'm not much of a seamstress, though, so I am not keen on the idea of sewing a metric assload of loops onto the undersuit. (And sewing that crap onto UnderArmour is damn near impossible.)

Ah, well. My girlfriend told me she wanted to learn to sew. Here's her big chance!

I'm actually more concerned how I'm going to get velcro to stick properly to the undersuit than the armor.

Yep...Sewing is your best bet when it comes to attaching velcro to fabric. make sure you use velcro with no glue on the back for that part. Also you may want a tough needle that you would use for denim (90/14 or 100/16).

Ha! I think I'm printing his armor, actually. Thanks!
Which armor are you printing?

Hiya, Moe!

Yep...Sewing is your best bet when it comes to attaching velcro to fabric. make sure you use velcro with no glue on the back for that part. Also you may want a tough needle that you would use for denim (90/14 or 100/16).

I actually meant that sewing onto UnderArmour or the vinyl suit that came with the crappy Rubies armor doesn't fill me with glee. UnderArmour is very hard to sew. I used to coach youth and high school football and I wore that stuff under my coaching shirt (basically as a sunblock for my arms) and I went through about three shirts a season from rips. My awesome professional tailor wouldn't even touch the stuff. She told me *Fierce Korean Lady Voice* "You throw out. It garbage now!" Vinyl is less difficult, but still a pain in the tailpad.

Which armor are you printing?

This one. I've got an entire left arm done and the right arm is printing now. Tomorrow, after the cyanoacrylic cures, I need to cut the bracer on the left arm so I can spread it to get my fatass hands into it. (I used your measurements and I'm about 84% your size, so I printed the armor at 85%. Fits great and looks great, except for the wrist holes on the bracer.) Once I get it on me, I'll take and post some pics. (Tomorrow or Sunday.)

You did a phenomenal job making the STL's easy to organize and understand. I'm psyched to see the way this is coming together, and I really appreciate you sharing it with the world so I could do this. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back