I'm new here and need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuentinP

So I am in the process of building full body covenant elite armor. I want to harden the paper to make it stronger and more durable. What is the best way to do so?

Thanks.

resin is the best for card stock but be careful dont put it on heavy very light the first two coats then you can put it on as thick as you want. make sure you do in side and out. that is how i have always done it. and make sure you do the inside or outside first then the other because if you do them both at the same time it might warp or worse cave in then you got to start all over... im sure they are other ways get this post a min others will give there way they do it and their method may work better for you....

Most people use Bondo brand fiberglass resin. Like marinesniper said, light layers at first to help prevent warping. It is also recommended to make your paper models out of 110 weight cardstock to prevent warping. After resin, you can use fiberglass mat/cloth coated in the same resin to strengthen. Another option is to mix resin and Bondo auto body filler to make what is commonly known as "rondo". It is easier to use and less messy but is less strong than fiberglass. Then it's Bondo auto body filler outside for shaping and sanding to make everything smooth and uniform.

Personally, I do 1 thin layer of resin inside and out then 1 or 2 thicker layers of resin. I then fiberglass the inside AND do a layer of rondo over the fiberglass. That way it's very strong and the pokey fiberglass is covered with a smooth coating. People generally consider rondo and fiberglass overkill tho.

There are also specific tutorials in the tutorials section of the forum that have more specific details. Use the index to find exactly what you need, but you can start here:

Most people use Bondo brand fiberglass resin. Like marinesniper said, light layers at first to help prevent warping. It is also recommended to make your paper models out of 110 weight cardstock to prevent warping. After resin, you can use fiberglass mat/cloth coated in the same resin to strengthen. Another option is to mix resin and Bondo auto body filler to make what is commonly known as "rondo". It is easier to use and less messy but is less strong than fiberglass. Then it's Bondo auto body filler outside for shaping and sanding to make everything smooth and uniform.

Personally, I do 1 thin layer of resin inside and out then 1 or 2 thicker layers of resin. I then fiberglass the inside AND do a layer of rondo over the fiberglass. That way it's very strong and the pokey fiberglass is covered with a smooth coating. People generally consider rondo and fiberglass overkill tho.

There are also specific tutorials in the tutorials section of the forum that have more specific details. Use the index to find exactly what you need, but you can start here:

Keep in mind, the more bondo and rondo you use.....the heavier your helmet will get. So don't go too overboard w/ them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back