Im new to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitefulvenom

So myself and a couple of friends are trying our hands at animation particularly halo animations and we have got a lot of our assets from this community i was wondering though is there any experienced members of the community that can share tips and tricks, particularly when it comes to adding colour to the models? please and thank you

I couldn't tell you, but I imagine that you could find out fairly easily by googling how to color 3d models. This is something that I have also been wondering so let me know if you find anything good

Adding color to the models is not that hard - you just need a basic understanding of a image editing program such as Photoshop or GIMP. In most cases, you can just open the texture in the image editing program, and then paint over it - on a new layer - and then use the multiply over lay option to make the texture.

Is there such a thing as "basic understanding" of GIMP? I've been at it several years and gone through several keyboards trying to learn. :confused:

I mean, I've been using GIMP for a few years myself and I don't even fully know everything about it. But by basic understanding, I mean the knowledge of how to open images, add a new layer, use the drawing tools like the paint brush and the pencil, and how to set different overlay methods for the layers. All of which isn't that hard.

It really depends on a lot of things, 3D modeling software will vary, but for adding colors, you will generally want to research “materials” and how to use image textures. These two things are pretty standard across all modeling and animation programs. Usually assets from this site provide image textures, so you will want to look up tutorials for applying image textures. If you want to make your own textures you can use Substance Painter, and Substance Designer (both of these you can get free student versions of)

If you have any more questions, I too am interested in making halo animations and I’m more than happy to help. I am versed in Autodesk Maya and Substance Painter, and you can contact me at: noahmatheu@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back