In the beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeds

Back in the day, there was Marathon – A Bungie product that ran on Mac’s. It had a campaign, a multiplayer cooperative mode, and ran on the network so many players could each play from their Mac. It had a forge where you could make your own levels. It even had an editable physics model where you could make low G or other types of strange environments. I played this game a bit, but I was never much for video games. The kids at work liked it, so on lunch and after hours, I played.

One of the kids (Shane) came up to me and told me that Bungie was bought out by Microsoft and that they produced a new game like Marathon called Halo. You have to buy their game console, an Xbox, to play it. I never owned a game console and I wasn’t about to buy one.

Shane says to me, “Come on over tonight. We’re going to have four Xboxes networked together and play capture the flag.” I tell him again, “You know I don’t play video games and I just don’t see what the appeal is. And I don’t know how to play Halo. I used to play capture the flag at camp when I was a kid, let’s just do that.” Shane says, “Trust me.” Well, Shane is a pretty level headed guy so I head over to the LAN party an hour early. He sits me in a chair, hands me a controller and says, “Go”.

About 7 hours later I headed for home. Bought an Xbox after that and haven’t looked back. I still can’t play video games but I’m sure I have hundreds of hours logged in the Halo universe. The snow in Assault On the Control room is all stomped down from my footprints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back