Information Dump

Status
Not open for further replies.
redragon74 said:
the additive Cherry flavoring in Cherry Coke is so corrosive alone it can melt the protective coating off of tile and vinyl flooring--imagine what your stomach looks like after all that

their are only 4 astronauts in the world that know the chemical compound to the fuel for the Space shuttle ALL of wich live in the USA

the shuttle fuel is so corrosive they transport it in a special containter made of Plastic, if you were also to put 1 gallon of water and 1 gallon of space shuttle fuel in a 2 gallon bucket, all youd have left is the 1 gallon of fuel

The shuttle is fueled by liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen.... they're cold, but not corrosive. o_O

The solid boosters are fueled by powdered aluminum, mixed with ammonium perchlorate and a rubber binder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Professional thief's start from the bottom drawer so they don't have to close one before opening another.

The average four year-old child asks over four hundred questions a day.

Every U.S. bill regardless of denomination costs just 4 cents to make.

In New York City, approximately 1,600 people are bitten by other humans annually.

There is enough water in American swimming pools to cover the whole city of San Francisco seven feet deep.

There are over 1,000,000 swimming pools in Florida, eventhough the ocean is no farther than 80 miles away.

The strike note of the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is e-flat.

redragon74 said:
thats not what my teacher told me o.? he knew one of the guys who transported it?

Huh, everything that I read about the shuttle in engineering school said that it's got normal oxy-hydrogen engines. And that the boosters are standard aluminum/oxidizer/binder propellant.

You were right about the phosphoric acid in coke syrup, though. Except that once it's diluted and bottled, it's nothing compared to your stomach.

RadioaciveMicrobe said:
It's impossible to swing your leg in one direction, and an arm in the other.

I just did it actually. It's really not hard at all, kinda like patting your head and rubbing your stomach.

-And speaking on the coke thing, plain regular Coca-Cola will shine pennies. It will also dissolve zinc. If you want to see this in action, file the edges off of a penny (the date on the penny has to be after 1980 which is when they stopped making pennies out of solid copper) until you see the silvery metal. That is zinc. Drop it in coke and let it sit for a week. After that you'll have 2 pieces of copper foil floating in the coke.

-Pennies made after 1980 are not solid copper due to a solid copper penny being worth more than 1 cent.

-Taco Bell Fire Sauce will eat the paint off of cars.

-Birch bark burns no matter how wet it is.

-Steel wool is flammable.

-The heating element on an electric stove tops 1200-1500°F.

-Stomach acid consists of concentrated hydrochloric acid (HCl).

-For most of the population, it is impossible to lick your elbow.

Theron 113 said:
The THC compound is made up of cannabinoids, which is something that naturally occurs in your own body.

This is a bit misleading. It is true that there cannabinoid receptors in the body, but only endogenous cannabinoids are produced and occur naturally in the body. The term "cannabinoid" is just a term for chemicals which have a simliar struture to THC or are able to bind to a cannabinoid recpetor. Endogenous cannabinoids They act as a messenger, going from one cell to another, and activating the cannabinoid receptor on the next cell as part of the intracellular messenger system.

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the primary psychoactive ingredient in Marijuana and acts on the cannabinoid receptors differently than endogenous cannabinoids, and is not found naturally in the body and when bound to a cannabinoid receptor results in a different effect from the naturally intended functions of the cannabinoid receptors.

It's impossibble to headbang with your mouth open :whistle:

Your finger nails don't actually continue to grow after you're dead, your skin just deteriarates and pulls back from the nail giving the illusion of growth.

The man who applied the KY jelly to the alien suit in the 1979 film Alien (duh) was homosexual... The stories the dude in that suit must've had...

BFDesigns said:
-Quartz is the crystalline form of silica (SiO4).

-Glass also has an effect on the viscosity of magma under the surface of the earth; the higher the silica (glass) content, the thicker and more explosive the volcanic eruptions are.

-Copper is the only heavy metal that occurs by itself within and on the surface of the earth. All others occur either in oxide or ore forms.

Loess said:
Gold is also naturally available in pure metallic form.

Copper was more highly valued than gold by some tribes in Noth America. Copper trade goods made by tribes in Michigan have been found in Arizona and new Mexico, tool-making stone from AZ and NM has been found in Michigan.

The chemical formula for quartz is SiO2 with additional trace elements trapped in the crystal latice.

Viscous explosive magmas that have a felsic and high silica composition are associated with melting of continental crust.

The ocean crust is made of melted and recrystalized upper mantle material and continents are not.

ALL precious metals can be found in a "Native" form including gold, silver, platinum, copper, molybdinum and vanadium but the only native iron on earth is found in meteorites.

Teddy Roosevelt called coyotes "prairie wolves" and hunted them safari style in the central high plains.

The largest single-celled organisms on earth are shelled amoebas called foramanifera and got up to an inch long in the Permian period.

You can cut steel with a piece of glass.

Cadet said:
This is a bit misleading. It is true that there cannabinoid receptors in the body, but only endogenous cannabinoids are produced and occur naturally in the body. The term "cannabinoid" is just a term for chemicals which have a simliar struture to THC or are able to bind to a cannabinoid recpetor. Endogenous cannabinoids They act as a messenger, going from one cell to another, and activating the cannabinoid receptor on the next cell as part of the intracellular messenger system.

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the primary psychoactive ingredient in Marijuana and acts on the cannabinoid receptors differently than endogenous cannabinoids, and is not found naturally in the body and when bound to a cannabinoid receptor results in a different effect from the naturally intended functions of the cannabinoid receptors.

I am glad that I am not the only one on the forums that has a decent knowledge of this. I agree with what you said entirely. But I do believe that what you have stated confirms my assertions that getting "high" on cannabis is not caused by an allergic reaction.

The usual American car horn honks in the key of F.

In glycolysis, 2 ATP molecules are used to produce 4 ATP molecules, some electron carriers, and two pyruvate molecules.

The first "astronaut" from America to visit "space" was a monkey named Ham. He was trained by being rewarded with an apple for hitting the correct buttons.

Theron 113 said:
I am glad that I am not the only one on the forums that has a decent knowledge of this.

I should, ;) I will be an official Forensic Scientist in under two months and I have had plenty of both book and practical lab experience in toxicology, even got to do some real case work during a crime lab internship :cool: Also don't agree that the psychoactive effects of Marijuana are due to an "Allergic reaction." It simply has to do with the bonding to the Cannabinoid receptors. Allergic reactions are all about anti-body/antigen responses

I just finished my AP Bio review study guide for Chapter 20, so here comes biology your way.

The restriction sequence EcoR1 in bacterial plasmids is a six nucleotide sequence 5' GAATTC 3' that when exposed to the correct restriction enzyme will fragment into G and AATTC sticky ends. The complement is 3' CTTAAG 5' on the other strand and will fragment into CCTTAA and G sticky ends.

The first company to produce human insulin using a bacterial vector was Genentech.

Restriction sites in DNA code such as EcoR1 are usually palindromic, i.e. the complementary strand is the top strand written backwards (GAATTC is complementary to CTTAAG).

To detect whether a bacterium has taken up your cloning vector/recombinant plasmid, insert a gene for ampicillin resistance into the plasmid along with your gene, and then expose the bacteria to ampicillin. The ones that die didn't take up the recombinant DNA.

Gel electrophoresis is used to determine the length (in basepairs) of DNA fragments. It works by soaking an agarose gel in a buffer solution. The gel has "wells" at one end into which are loaded your DNA samples. Then, a current is run through the buffer, with the negative terminal at the well end and the positive terminal at the other end. Since DNA is negatively charged, it will run through the gel towards the positive end. Smaller fragments will travel farther than large fragments.

Southern blotting is a method of determining the presence of certain polymorphisms and STR's in a genetic sequence that can help determine the culprit in a criminal investigation.

Northern and Western blotting are plays on the name Southern blotting

Polymorphisms are differences in genetic code (sometimes just a single nucleotide) that are the cause of dominant and recessive alleles.

Sickle cell anemia is caused by the change of a single nucleotide.

And finally, I should've quit Honors English III.

Hope you learned something,

loess- maybe it was an older shuttle that he was talking about *shrugs* its awsome knowing everyone has a bunch of random information that everyone can have interest in

Ethyline Blue-a staining agent in labs, can make you pee blue if ingested *and can also be purchased in food stores* Green Food Coloring in alcohol or drinks will make poop green as well- have fun on st pattys day and april 1st

BF- your right on the stomach acid being HCL acid- its stomach bile produced by the pancrease and bileducts that neutalizes it and keeps it from burning your intestines and other areas around it when producing waste

pigeons carry disease and are a neucense animal they are killed after being trapped and can be illegal to set back free if caught

gator is the healthyest meat for you

the space shuttle runs on less than 1MB of RAM. discuss.

also, when one's power level goes over 9000, Vegeta crushes the scouter.

the game.

redragon74 said:
loess- maybe it was an older shuttle that he was talking about *shrugs* its awsome knowing everyone has a bunch of random information that everyone can have interest in

Ethyline Blue-a staining agent in labs, can make you pee blue if ingested *and can also be purchased in food stores* Green Food Coloring in alcohol or drinks will make poop green as well- have fun on st pattys day and april 1st

BF- your right on the stomach acid being HCL acid- its stomach bile produced by the pancrease and bileducts that neutalizes it and keeps it from burning your intestines and other areas around it when producing waste

pigeons carry disease and are a neucense animal they are killed after being trapped and can be illegal to set back free if caught

gator is the healthyest meat for you

There was a German plane in WW2 that ran on a two part fuel that sounds like what you were describing, the Me 163 Komet.

There have been a few rocket designs that used exotic and dangerous propellants like that. So far, the extra danger hasn't been acceptable for any vehicles that made it to production, as far as I know.

The HCl acid in your stomach is only there to kill bacteria. A few types of bacteria can tolerate this acid and live in the stomach. These bacteria cause ulcers in humans.... and lions. Guess how biologists suspect lions were infected with these bactreia.

French frites are a Belgium invention...

Whe teached the french in WW1 and the french teached the US it in WW2
Then the US spreaded it everywhere as french frites :sleep:

Cadet said:
I should, ;) I will be an official Forensic Scientist in under two months
Congratulations!! :D I think that it would be a cool job to have. I am planning on becoming a criminal defense lawyer. Maybe we will meet sometime. :D

WD 40 was named in that fashon because it was the 40ith combination that they had tried.

On the same note, the majority of the the complaints WD 40 recieved were that people were losing the straw. :oops:

Ohhh, Theron 113, defense attorney? I don't know...we don't really like you guys because you give us a hard time and try to make us look stupid in front of a jury :p

To go off of one of Bloodl3tt3r's facts, Did you know that Sickle cell anemia was an evolutionary defense against Malaria? If you have sickle cell anemia, you can't get Malaria, so in portions of Africa, those people with sickle cell anemia outlived those who didn't (didn't get Malaria) and where the ones to pass on their genetic material.

The indigenous people of central and South America, another region with high malaria rates, did not develop the sickle cell defense against malaria, because they drank tea made from the bark of the tree that the anti-malaria drug Quinine is synthesized from.

Cadet said:
Ohhh, Theron 113, defense attorney? I don't know...we don't really like you guys because you give us a hard time and try to make us look stupid in front of a jury :p

To go off of one of Bloodl3tt3r's facts, Did you know that Sickle cell anemia was an evolutionary defense against Malaria? If you have sickle cell anemia, you can't get Malaria, so in portions of Africa, those people with sickle cell anemia outlived those who didn't (didn't get Malaria) and where the ones to pass on their genetic material.

The indigenous people of central and South America, another region with high malaria rates, did not develop the sickle cell defense against malaria, because they drank tea made from the bark of the tree that the anti-malaria drug Quinine is synthesized from.
hmm i should look into that

i wonder if animals can get Malaria or if its Zoonotic
Heartworms can only form into a heartworm infection if theres a Male present, they need a male and female pair to breed into the overgrowth

Cadet said:

Yes, but sickle cell anemia will shorten your lifespan in countries that have very little to no malaria rates and ready access to Quinine.

Good fact tho!

Other fun ones:

-The stomach acid of reptiles is stronger than that of humans. Reptiles can digest pretty much anything, even bone!

-The bacteria living in the saliva of Komodo Dragons can cause infection very quickly in those persons that are bitten by them, Iguana bites can also become infected quickly and take longer to heal than normal abrasions (I know this from experience)

-Komodo Dragons eat small village children too!

-Liquid Plumber and aluminum foil create hydrogen gas when they come into contact (don't blow yourselves up kids!).

-Constant unprotected exposure to ferrochloric acid can cause your urine to turn pink. You will be dead within 3 days if this happens.

-On average it takes a person 15 minutes to die from drowning (this is how long it takes for all brain activity to cease, the body actually is generally not moving - dead - after 3-4 minutes).

-All cats tongues big & small have small inwardly turned spikes on them. They are there so that cats can actually lick any remaining meat off the bones of their prey.

-A skinned bear looks remarkably like a skinned human.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back