Inquiry: Emile helmet and visor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxelement

Hey everyone, I'm considering making emile's helmet but am incredibly unsure as to how i could create the visor. I'm trying to make it with the skull design. So far, my only idea has been to experiment with different tinted sheets of plastic for the visor, and to use paint for the skull carving. does anybody have any other suggestions?

Hey everyone, I'm considering making emile's helmet but am incredibly unsure as to how i could create the visor. I'm trying to make it with the skull design. So far, my only idea has been to experiment with different tinted sheets of plastic for the visor, and to use paint for the skull carving. does anybody have any other suggestions?

I believe if you could create a single solid piece for the visor (perhaps if you have access to vacumn forming) You could then use paint, or be like emile and use a knife to scratch the skull on the visor (Outlining it first would be a good idea though)

Due to the size of the EVA helmet, I think your best bet is vacuforming for sure. once that's done, I'd personally go with paint. You can do a lot with a little of it, and its MUCH more forgiving thn actually scratching the material.

While the scratching would look better, due to experience, Id stick with paint. If you make a few of them, try scratching one out for Goofs n Gigs.

Good luck!

While the scratching would look better, due to experience, Id stick with paint. If you make a few of them, try scratching one out for ----- n Gigs.

I'm going to reiterate something I had to say to another member yesterday: we don't do swearing here on the 405th, even if it's been blanked out. Please reconsider the use of such language in the future, and would you mind editing your post to remove the profanity?

I'm going to reiterate something I had to say to another member yesterday: we don't do swearing here on the 405th, even if it's been blanked out. Please reconsider the use of such language in the future, and would you mind editing your post to remove the profanity?

Done, sorry bout that.

If I were in your footsteps I'd make the form for the visor... Basically pepakura, resining and bondo'ing and then sculpting everything, yes, including the "skull". Then I'd use transparent Worbla and a heatgun to form it... At this point I should have the transparent visor pretty much complete, but yeah, the scratches won't be perfectly visible, so I'd have to make the structure myself, but either making some scratches and then using a kinda tranluscent paint to paint the formed skull giving it even more scratched structure...

Of course there is another way - you can make mold and then just form it "from inside" so the detail of the sculpted skull will be on the outside. The process would be like working with "negative".

worbla does seem like a great idea because you can reform it with heat; ill look into where i can buy some

Well, yeah, but you need a lot of heat to reform it. :) Many other cosplayers use Worbla for a lot of stuff and it got me the idea tbh.
I'm gonna try this idea of mine and I really hope it'll work.

Hi,
I made Emile for my son this year for Halloween. Excuse the medical boot...since he broke his ankle the week before!
I made a vacuum form table, I bought .060 PetG....24"x24" was about $10 a sheet. So bad pulls add up quickly!
For all the time and expense, all I got was some forearm pieces...which allowed an easy to make them light up through the clear plastic.

emile%20side.JPG

I ended up making the visor from part of a Pep file, but making it out of craft foam. The basic shape was pretty good, but then I coated it with Epsilon epoxy, but PVA glue then fiberglass would work too. Then I bondo putty'ed it and smoothed it and it came out ok. Many suggested using a balloon then paper mache' followed by further stiffening for the shape. For me, the pep file...I just assembled 6 long pieces of the visor and had a basic visor shape.

I then attached this to a helmet cut down and my son had a viewing window on the helmet he could see out of....and then lots of bondo putty in the tube and filler paint. Skull was paint....

A vacuum formed visor is cool, but then you probably have to tint it or airbrush/lightly paint it. I ran out of time for those options...starting and completely in about 2 weeks.

Good Luck!
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back