Inspired to build an ODST KIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohlmin

Hi all,
Been coming to this site for years. Learned tons when I was building my sons Master Chief a few years back. Now its time for me to do something for myself after making 6 costumes for other people. I have decided to do an ODST Set. I plan on making all the armor pieces out of Sintra using Hughs pep files. I got a jump on it today. Heres my current progress on the chest plate.

Attachments

• chest 1.jpg
    chest 1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 249
  • chest 2.jpg
    chest 2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 231
Sintra is also known as Expanded PVC board. It is essentially a thermo plastic. Its easy to cut with a razor knife and takes shape sort of like EVA foam when you heat it. With the curves and the glue points the plastic becomes very sturdy.
This is the first I've heard of it. How does it compare to something like Worbla? If it's PVC, shouldn't it be cheaper too? I'm still looking for a way to (afford to) make my Iron Man Mk V suit that collapses into a suitcase.

Sintra is also known as Expanded PVC board. It is essentially a thermo plastic. Its easy to cut with a razor knife and takes shape sort of like EVA foam when you heat it. With the curves and the glue points the plastic becomes very sturdy.
can i know what is the difference with ordinary pvc board ?

'coz i just bought it for my next marine armor for airsoft gear

I guess it depends on where you live and what they call it. Expanded PVC foam board, Sintra, PVC Sheet, Foamex, so it could very well be the same. I use 3mm and a 4 x 8 sheet from a local plastic distributor costs about 38 bucks. As far as it comparing to worbla, it is a thermo plastic so when you heat it up and bend it, when it cools it will retain its shape. Its not as thin as worbla so you wont be able to mold it over edges and on top of eva. plus when its heated and bendable if its to hot you can leave pretty good sized finger print marks in the surface. With that being said it is very easy to sand and smooth out.

I am currently slightly stumped. Using pepakura and the model I have assembled the chest plate. Every piece is attached to the angle that is depicted in the 3d model. The issue is that it is curved all the way across where as most of the kits that I see people wearing seem to be flatter across the chest. especially the left and right side. It is also curved like this in the 3d model like it contours to the body over the pecs.

Attachments

• chest 3.jpg
    chest 3.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 223
I am currently slightly stumped. Using pepakura and the model I have assembled the chest plate. Every piece is attached to the angle that is depicted in the 3d model. The issue is that it is curved all the way across where as most of the kits that I see people wearing seem to be flatter across the chest. especially the left and right side. It is also curved like this in the 3d model like it contours to the body over the pecs.
Well you did an excellent job. The flatter chest peices could be other odst models from different games(I dont think they flatten out though), or it is the Andrew dft odst you keep seeing. It is flatter and isnt very accurate for a game model odst, but is simple and great for beginners. Your work is amazing so far and is just how it should be. Keep it up!

I wasn't happy with the extreme curvature I had so I cut the sides off and remounted them before putting the outer edge pieces on. looks much better and fits the shape of my chest pretty well.

Attachments

• 5 (1).jpg
    5 (1).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 240
  • 5 (2).jpg
    5 (2).jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 214
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 226
If people are interested in Sintra, I highly recommend checking out stuff made by the mando mercs as they get a lot of mileage out of it. Nice thing is you can get it thicker than styrene or worbla.

Glad to see it being made use of here! Armor looks great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back