Ironman Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEO9567

Hello everyone :), im new to 405th but ive heard very good things about it. Ive managed to find pep files for an ironman helmet and ive managed to put it all together. Heres where the problem is, the paper i used to print out my helmet is printer paper (flimsy, and weak) and is not strong enough to create a mold. Ive devised a plan and i need insight to see if it "could" work or alternate ideas. Heres the plan.....everything is holding up pretty well but, to make my melmet stronger to make a mold, i bought some "BONDO: Fiberglass Resin" from autozone to hopefully put 2 or 3 coats over the whole helmet in order for it to get the edge i need then, after it dries, sand down where needed etc etc, then make a mold using either latex or silicone. Now what can i use to reinforce my mold? thats also where i need advice, please 405th help this noob!

pictures of my helmet are attached!

-CEO9567

Ok, well here's what you want to do. I don't really know how the resin will work on printer paper (it might warp), so use it in very thin coats first. Then, after a few coats of resin, either use fiberglass or smooth-cast 320 on the inside to keep it extra sturdy in the mold. You'll notice after the resin that the model is still bendy and flexible, so this is why you have to add extra strength. Also, you will want to do bondo work on your hardened piece so it comes out of the mold smoother and more detailed. All of this can by found in the stickies, so go read those for more information. Talk to me if you have any questions.

thanks a bunch, very informative :) i do have another question, when making my mold, what do i use on the outside of my mold to keep my molds from warping? ive seen plaster used but, ive also seen this beige hard coat that people on youtube use, what is your expirence for these things?

I actually am not an expert on molds, since I've never made one before haha. I know that there are several types of mold jackets (plaster, fiberglass, etc.), but you're going to want to PM Ithica and tell him that I sent you to him to ask about mold jackets. HE is the expert. If you ever need advice on anything but molds, I can help you out.

troubleis1983 said:
Are the ears different on each side of the ironman helmet?

the ears are not glued on just yet, they are just sort of hanging there for right now and for the sake of accurately gluing them on.

Last edited by a moderator:
mc hammer time said:
I actually am not an expert on molds, since I've never made one before haha. I know that there are several types of mold jackets (plaster, fiberglass, etc.), but you're going to want to PM Ithica and tell him that I sent you to him to ask about mold jackets. HE is the expert. If you ever need advice on anything but molds, I can help you out.

ok well i appreciate you pointing me in the right direction, im a fast learner and once i do it myself and perfect it, i can teach others. Now when you say "fiberglass the inside" what exactly does that mean? is the fiberglass resin that i have the same thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok fiberglass the inside witch it fiberglass matting or cloth the you paint over it with your resin and it become a thick hard layer like plastic

thank you all so much, yes! the search button is MY FRIEND!!! very very useful tutorials all over this site. IM very excited and i will post my progress and keep you all updated :) thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back