Is it possible to make a helmet from foam board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RvB Furry

I've been looking for cheaper alternatives to EVA foam. I tried corrugated cardboard and tape first, but that... didn't go well. So how's foam board for helmet making?

.... eva foam should cost you less than $15 to build a helmet (at least in North america). There is another thread on foam board right now, and it was mentioned by someone experienced with the stuff that it isn't very suitable for making helmets.

Grab a pack of foam, a hot glue gun, and start building!

.... eva foam should cost you less than $15 to build a helmet (at least in North america). There is another thread on foam board right now, and it was mentioned by someone experienced with the stuff that it isn't very suitable for making helmets.

Grab a pack of foam, a hot glue gun, and start building!

Could you direct me to this 15 dollar eva? all I've seen have been 20 or over

Where are you from? I'm in NY and we have a store called Harbor Freight.....has the 4 pack EVA for $10, and I was the one mentioned about foam-board. If you do not have any experience w/ using foam-board, I would recommend EVA. If you want to use FB as a means to build a prop.....go right ahead. Using it to build armor.......extremely difficult. Check it out HERE. Suffice to say that even w/ years of experience w/ using FB.....I had to put up the white flag. For the moment.....I still believe it can be done....but the whole process would take a huge amount of time and patience. Maybe even more than the Pep/glass route.

I'm from Alabama. Home Depot is probably the closest we have out here. I found some online from Kohl's for 16 dollars anyways.

a hot glue gun
My friends introduced me to this wonderful product called "Contact glue", it has strong smell but it does wonders to your work progress. Much easier to glue stuff with it and you get much cleaner resaults, tho that being said there are some spots I do prefer to use hotglue for but overall contact glue much better option.

My friends introduced me to this wonderful product called "Contact glue", it has strong smell but it does wonders to your work progress. Much easier to glue stuff with it and you get much cleaner resaults, tho that being said there are some spots I do prefer to use hotglue for but overall contact glue much better option.

That would be contact cement. I only use that for thin 2mm foam details which otherwise get warped and wavy from hot glue. Not necessarily a cleaner result for all types of seams, but it is good stuff.

As for my comment on $15 worth of foam, you aren't going to use a full pack of foam for a helmet. My guess would be 2 of the floor mats, a sheet or two of 6mm craft foam, and a sheet of 2mm craft foam.

Yes, from my experience with foam board the stuff is far too rigid for easy armour building, not impossible as I learned recently but still extremely tough. I'll be using my foam board to make an assault rifle, maybe two if I have enough as I doubt I'll be using an entire massive sheet for one.

AHHHHH another dabbler in foamboard!!!!!!! check out my 1st attempt at a FB helmet here. Not impossible but very,very difficult.

I'm a big fan of Barge Cement with EVA foam. I also get my supplies at Harbor Freight and I think they have a coupon going on right now. If you can get there with a coupon or during a sale I've seen the foam packs for as little as 4.99!

I live in Sydney, Australia. I've been buying a pack of 4 EVA foam tiles for $12 at target and Bunnings. (Hardware store) :)

It must be an "As Is" store. they usually buy up the returned/damaged items from other locations for dirt cheap and sell it for a small profit. They go for quantity not quality. Buyer beware type of store.

It must be an "As Is" store. they usually buy up the returned/damaged items from other locations for dirt cheap and sell it for a small profit. They go for quantity not quality. Buyer beware type of store.

That makes more sense. Wonder if there's any local to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back