Is the Xcoser ODST helmet any good?

Marcus

I was wondering if I should buy instead of making my own out of eva foam.
Obviously im going to repaint it, but I was wondering,
1) if it is durable enough to wear
2) how easy it is to change the colour of the visor, for example putting window reflective tint on it
3) If the visor comes with the helmet if I purchase it unpainted

sorry that these are really specific, but any help would be appreciated!

Alternatively are there any other places that sell wearable odst helmets?

2) how easy it is to change the colour of the visor, for example putting window reflective tint on it

Only other people I know that sell ODST helmets aside from Xcoser is Sean Bradley's Etsy (which you'll have to trim and paint yourself since it's just a casting), or CyberCraft (which does have a fully made helmet modeled after Rookie, paint and all).

I own and have customized an Xcoser ODST helm. I am currently on my way back home from a con and I'll get some pics for you but consider the following:

1) the "smoked" visor is not smoked very well you can see rather well inside...seeing through is all right

2) it accepts paint well, I'd recommend hitting it with some light sanding to give you paint enough to bite onto

3) I have not done any drop tests but after I dremeled out the visor area I found cracks (when I post again ill make sure to get pictures of this) so be careful with excessive customization

4) take your time [unless you are in a crunch period] if this is your first helmet it's great, I'd recommend drilling some ventilation as that does not come standard on the helmet. I hope this helps and I'll post again here in a few hours with pics!

So as promised pictures below. For reference the limited edition Halo 3 Chief Helmet is pictured:

Attachments

• 20230924_195157.jpg
    20230924_195157.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • 20230924_195108.jpg
    20230924_195108.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 73
  • 20230924_195126.jpg
    20230924_195126.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 20230924_195121.jpg
    20230924_195121.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 64
  • 20230924_195047.jpg
    20230924_195047.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 66
  • 20230924_195056.jpg
    20230924_195056.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 66
  • 20230924_195037.jpg
    20230924_195037.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 78
So as promised pictures below. For reference the limited edition Halo 3 Chief Helmet is pictured:
did you have to remove the face plate with a dremel? Like it was all a big resin cast and you had to cut out the opaque resin in the face area? or did you dremel the helmet for ventilation only?

did you have to remove the face plate with a dremel? Like it was all a big resin cast and you had to cut out the opaque resin in the face area? or did you dremel the helmet for ventilation yes, I did. I did this so I could more accurately fit a 3rd party silver visor. On the OG xcoser helm I removed the black resin around the visor

ok thank you. Would it be possible to use the xcoser visor, take it out, and put reflective car tint on the other side?
Also did you buy yours painted or unpainted, and if its the unpainted one, did it come with a visor?

ok thank you. Would it be possible to use the xcoser visor, take it out, and put reflective car tint on the other side?
Also did you buy yours painted or unpainted, and if its the unpainted one, did it come with a visor?
So that's not the route I took so I can't say one way or the other. It's worth a shot but results may vary. It might be better to just get/make a clear visor then tint it also I bought mine as advertised (Grey, black and silver) it did come with a visor

I'd consider the XCoser helmet to be a good cheaper option, but it is a small helmet. Definitely not to scale. Again for a cheap helmet I think it could look good when painted and weathered. The visor supplied is hot glued in place and is decent. Recently I was able to see a Branfuhr Studios ODST helmet and i can say that'll be the helmet I would plan on getting. Very good detail and look.

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back