Issues Of Armor And Weapon Canon In Halo: Reach

Status
Not open for further replies.

R3unbreakable

Jr Member
Depending on part of the battle of Reach the game takes place, John-117 might or might not be in it. However, all Spartans in HALO: Reach according to known canon would be wearing Mark IV or the brand new Mark V. John-117 as a Master Chief Petty Officer received Mark V armor during the battle of reach, and it will be interesting to see what will happen with Spartan Mjolnir Armor.

Secondly, Buck and (some) of his ODSTs are known to have fought on Reach. But, since Reach takes place before Halo:CE, does this mean that we'll be seeing Halo 2 ODST armor? Or was that only used by the ODSTs attacking Delta Halo (installation 05)? Or since it's before Halo 2, will we see an older more Combat Evolved looking ODST armor.

Which begs the question, Will the marines on reach wear Halo:CE armor? I was a big fan of Halo's original art style and would love to see a more detailed version of the CE armor, but will bungie retcon the Halo 3 or 2 marine armor.

Finally, What weapons will we see? I'm holding out for the MA2B, and the MA5K, and the M6D because we havent seen the MA2b or MA5k realized in game form yet, and i'm sick of the Assault rifle.

Feel free to speculate away!

i imagine that the armor will be more better looking, since halo 1 and 2 were old, the graphics and character designs are also not that good. unless it has something to do with the halo story, then i dont know for sure.

I imagine they'll do what they did with the Mark V helmet in Halo 3, same helmet from CE, but updated to look better and take advantage of much better graphics than the original Xbox.

Yeah, the differences in outdated armor in newer games are purely aesthetic and only look different because of the new graphics engine and visual enhancements Bungie is granted with every time they make a new game.

remember reach is the military command of the unsc.. or was... so they could have more advanced armor if we were to fight on land. so.. the armor on the ships may also be standards for ships and not for anywhere else. remember before reach was hit the guys from halo wars... another prequell... their armor was sweet.

take a look!

hw-prima-blog-01-01.jpg

lt forge marine left and three spartans...

CommanderFluffy said:
remember reach is the military command of the unsc.. or was... so they could have more advanced armor if we were to fight on land. so.. the armor on the ships may also be standards for ships and not for anywhere else. remember before reach was hit the guys from halo wars... another prequell... their armor was sweet.

take a look!

hw-prima-blog-01-01.jpg

lt forge marine left and three spartans...

Halo Wars really frustrated me. Ensemble Studios ate up all of the pre-halo canon (ALL OF IT!) and used it in their crappy Console RTS. Frank O'Connor, the man in charge of Halo's canon has stated Halo Wars is canon, although he does a real spotty job explaining how MKIV looks like MKVI, and then why UNSC decided to make MKV look smooth...

I do like the idea of Ships and Divisions being outfitted with varying levels of technology. It gives the impression the UNSC is spread thin across its ranks, and that the closer the units are to important areas on earth, the better outfitted they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was the source of my initial frustrations and fears with Halo Wars, ODST, and Reach.

To me there is a difference between updating your previous designs to match the new technology and graphics engines you have, and what feels like the the complete departure from the previously establish look and feel of the technology and armor. I think Halo 2 did a wonderful job bridging the gap, the game took place a slightly longer time after the end of CE, and was also in a different location. IT was much easier to swallow that the MArines on Earth had different armor than the colonies, and the armor difference was easily explained away. But things fell apart once we got into Halo 3, where even though the game takes place at most days after the end of Halo 2, all the sudden the Marines, ODSTs, and Brutes have radically different armor and character designs, in the exact location as the previous game, at just about the exact same time, with no attempt made to explain the apparent retcon.

I can understand that the designs of Halo 3 are maybe how Bungie always intended the Halo 2 Marines, ODSTs, and Brutes to always look, but, I don't know, maybe they could have made them just a little closer to the first designs.

Cadet said:
That was the source of my initial frustrations and fears with Halo Wars, ODST, and Reach.

To me there is a difference between updating your previous designs to match the new technology and graphics engines you have, and what feels like the the complete departure from the previously establish look and feel of the technology and armor. I think Halo 2 did a wonderful job bridging the gap, the game took place a slightly longer time after the end of CE, and was also in a different location. IT was much easier to swallow that the MArines on Earth had different armor than the colonies, and the armor difference was easily explained away. But things fell apart once we got into Halo 3, where even though the game takes place at most days after the end of Halo 2, all the sudden the Marines, ODSTs, and Brutes have radically different armor and character designs, in the exact location as the previous game, at just about the exact same time, with no attempt made to explain the apparent retcon.

I can understand that the designs of Halo 3 are maybe how Bungie always intended the Halo 2 Marines, ODSTs, and Brutes to always look, but, I don't know, maybe they could have made them just a little closer to the first designs.

Yeah, and there is NO way those were "Bungie's intended designs"

If they intended it, they would have done a lower rez version.

The truth is, Halo marines have always looked like Colonial marines from Aliens...

ALIENS MARINES:

si01_all.jpg

a_045Marines.jpg

childreninneed_01.jpg

HALO MARINES

Halo

In halo 1 the helmet looked ripped right out of James Cameron's Concept art collection

300px-Marine.jpg

In Halo 2 the camo and chest plate look similar

Perez.png

and Halo 3 looks like a "haloized" (with the traingular theme, and the 45 degree angles everywhere) version of Colonial Marine armor.

UNSC_Marine_Corps.PNG

Yes the differences are clear, i'm just pointing out that Bungie's original inspiration evolved into their own creation. Which makes the "Bungie intended it but graphics pewpewed their ideas" incorrect.

I do agree to a degree, but Bungie was in a time crunch with Halo 2, so those could've been shortsighted designs.

R3unbreakable said:
Depending on part of the battle of Reach the game takes place, John-117 might or might not be in it. However, all Spartans in HALO: Reach according to known canon would be wearing Mark IV or the brand new Mark V. John-117 as a Master Chief Petty Officer received Mark V armor during the battle of reach

Actually if you read Fall of Reach Master Chief received the Mark 5 armour on the 29th of August, 2552. The Attack on Reach didn't start till 30th of August, 2552, at which point the Pillar of Autumn, and all the Spartans with the new Mark V armour, was almost out of the Epsilon Eridani system. The Pillar of Autumn then headed back to Reach.

Also noted should be that the Aliens Marine armor was actually experimental military prototypes, thrown into a movie to demonstrate them.So in the end, it's all based on real life stuff.

Sticking true to canon would be kind of lame but might in the long run make it a better pre-qual. What I personally would like to see is new weapons not armour. I mean who doesn't want a dual weild-able human combat knife? Or a gravity gun to catapult jakals with?

I think we'll see the same weapons, vehicles and armour in Reach as we did on CE - plus more seeing as Reach is the base of all things military.

I imagine that most Spartans will have Mark IV whereas some of the higher ranking Spartans will have Mark V.

Remember, CE took place only afew weeks after the fall of Reach.

Even though we'll have old armour. I think Bungie will find a way to make it up to mark with their new engine and graphics but still keep it iconic to what mark it is.

The events on Reach happens before AND after Halo CE. If you read "First Strike", MC and a few other surviving marines hijack a Covenant ship and travels back to Reach to save the other Spartans. "Fall of Reach" happens before CE, "First Strike" happens between Halo CE and Halo 2. Although the books are not really Canon, it will be interesting to see when Halo: Reach takes place.

oh yeah i forgot about First Strike :p

Maybe they'll use that Forerunner artifact under Reach in the game?

Or make another 23675656365255425 forerunner things up we don't even know about.

It'd be awesome if you:

SPOILER

got to jump out of the near crashing pelican and try not to splat on impact, as fred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back