It's All In The Detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan137

So, I'm actually kind of surprised that no thread has been created like this before. Seems like a lot of renovations have been occuring around the site, and I think that some people would like to pose a couple of suggestions that could possible improve the forums.

Basically, this is a suggestion box. Post your ideas here.

Here are a few rules:

1. Use ORIGINAL ideas. That means you can't take an idea from another thread and stick it here.

2. ONLY post your idea. Don't make comments about other's ideas, good or bad.

3. NO ideas that are posted as a joke. Try to be serious.

4. NO ideas regarding the Wiki/Master Tut debate.

5. ANY and ALL ideas are welcome (that obey the rules). Outlandish ideas are acceptable as long as they aren't supposed to be a joke, as mentioned in Rule #3.

6. Ideas that could potentially effect or are about the charter are ACCEPTABLE. Do NOT expect it to occur, however.

7. The Staff's decision on whether or not an idea is accepted is FINAL.

8. Adam, the Staff, and Mods ARE allowed to post non-idea comments.

To get everyone started, here are my ideas:

1. A 'Favorite Thread' button. Let's you save a list of threads on you profile in case you want to visit them again.
2. Little icon's next to your friends on your friend's list that light up whenever they are on.
3. A list of people who are in the chat room at any point in time.
4. Make a temporary lock button for thread starters. Only to be used on people who are spamming/ridiculing thread content, etc.

EDIT: It would appear that no body seems to want to post. Comeon! Any ideas are good!

Last edited by a moderator:
My only idea is concerning the Donate button :(

I've seen this on other boards. People that donate for exemple 0-100$ would have (for exemple) a Donator lvl 1 title, with some advantages. (Stuff like your thread name is in color when the others are white).

It helps the donations, and it helps the webmaster ^^

EDIT : Or being able to delete your own topic when no one replied yet.

EDIT2 : And a auto-merge function to remove double, triple posts.

A different heirarchy of command....instead of just global moderators, make admins and stuff too.

Hey, its built into the IPB board layout, lets take advantage of it!

Remove the post count, add in a reputation system. Those with higher reputations also should have a stronger vote, so the system is weighted.

RSS (and a host of other media goodies) will hopefully make an appearance in the near future (say, within 1-2 months).

Keep those suggestions coming :)

Vrogy said:

for threads' posts, user's posts, sections, blogs...

ill second that. It may be a feat in itself, but it would be cool. Take your time tho, mods!

BrianAnim said:
We should, if there isn't yet, have a forum specificly for conventions, where we make 1 post in that forum per big con, as in 1 post for comic con, 1 post for dcon, per year. That way we can look in one place to see where people will be meeting and what the plans are for photoshoots and such, the 1st post of the thread should be edited and kept up to date with the location and dates of photoshoots at that con that are decided upon so people dont have to read the entire topic.

I agree with this guy. I've seen this on couple of forums.

We could list all conventions, with the dates and place for easier browsing.

Because right now, there's like 10 topics about D*Con and none about other cons.

(Wahou, I bumped a topic without being hit by a mod :lol: )

LastSpartan said:
... (Wahou, I bumped a topic without being hit by a mod :lol: )
*Whacks LastSpartan just for the fun of it*:lol:
I think the Con forum is a good idea though, especially for the smaller events that people may not know about.
Maybe breaking it down into a few different threads for different areas, one thread for US Con's, one for the UK, Aus/NZ etc just to make it easier for people to find local events.
BTW there are a few other non-D*Con topics out there... like our Armageddon ones but they don't get used much ;)

*Whacks Belakor because he hit me first ^^*

I know.

But it would be usefull, let's say I'm going to Virginia soon. I want to know if there's a con during this time.

I go in the forum, I search for Virginia.

And now, with the Dates also in the description, I know if I have to bring my costume.

For exemple

Title : Worldcon 2009
Description : Montréal - August 22-24

Easy, neat and sweet :)

Belakor said:
*Whacks LastSpartan just for the fun of it*:lol:
I think the Con forum is a good idea though, especially for the smaller events that people may not know about.
Maybe breaking it down into a few different threads for different areas, one thread for US Con's, one for the UK, Aus/NZ etc just to make it easier for people to find local events.
BTW there are a few other non-D*Con topics out there... like our Armageddon ones but they don't get used much ;)
That's a great idea, I can barley find the Armageddon 08 thread... and i made it ;)
If cons have there own little list it might get noticed by more.

I agree with you, because I can't find it either :p

Addition : I say I wrote this couple of time, but I think we should really have a forum section for foreign languages.

Like if people have a french question, they can start a thread with like [fr]Question.

If it's spanish, [Spa]Question

Because I receive lots of PM from people that don't understand the wiki/tutorials due to their low level in english.

LastSpartan said:
I agree with you, because I can't find it either :p

Addition : I say I wrote this couple of time, but I think we should really have a forum section for foreign languages.

Like if people have a french question, they can start a thread with like [fr]Question.

If it's spanish, [Spa]Question

Because I receive lots of PM from people that don't understand the wiki/tutorials due to their low level in english.

I absolutely agree! The language issue is huge... Thought, most forgein members state that they cant speack english well and alot of us do our best to understnad and help them out. It would seem having a foreign language board would be perfect to help welcome and make those members feel at home and comfortable...

As for the Con section, I aslo agree with that. Its already hard for me to make plans for Anime Supercn in South Florida while I'm trying to let florida residents knw about it and try and make solid plans ahead of time....

Both of these suggestions have my vote!

Not only that, I think there should be a section for Previous Cons, ya know.. to show the 405th in action. *points over to the AdventureCon 08 thread in General Discussion*. Nothing fancy, just a photo spread of the action and when and where it happened would suffice. A digital footprint of what kind of impact we had at previous Con's if you would :).

As far as other language translations goes.. it would be harder to implement in the forums. That's definitely more easier to accomplish with a wiki... not to bring that all up again but .. I think wikipedia stands on its own to support me there.

Cheers,
Kensai

Maybe not a forum section with the translation of the tutorials, but more a "noob" section for people to ask their question in french, spanish, german etc.

Thanks Kelly ^^

I've already made suggestions in other places to have a spot for the Cons.

1) My idea is to have a place on the front of the site where our gallery is offered
to visitors of our site. Maybe once opening the "gallery page" there's a spot
where we can see individual's complete armor or the various Cons that
the 405th has been present.

2) Another idea ( going along with LastSpartan) is to have a spot where
the cons official sites are linked to their respective information.

3) Perhaps make use of admins but such in a way that may seem a little off to everyone.
( Plese bare with me on this) Make people in certian parts of the country incharge of
con/ event gatherings. Instead of letting Mods and Adam do all the work, split up the responsibilities:
For example:
I live in San Diego. Therefore I'll put together meeting places, times, Hotel reservations for members
and piling up additional info. Because I'm "in charge" of this con, there's a topic for me that serves as a
place for me to post information as it comes up. These topics are also for members to share info
(includes a place for people who want to room together for the event)

Hows that?

I'd love it if new members were required to view specific threads before they could join the general populace on the forum. Kind of a 'click here if you have read and agree" thing.

We could guide new members through the basic things they need to knwo before they even show up in the forums. That way we wouldn't have to be answering the same 10 questions over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back