It's been a long time, Facade Of the Hazen lords WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xs SHAD0W sX

Day 1
So after a long time gone since finishing my ODST foam build I have a lot of free time this summer and i wanted to try something challenging before SDCC. So im going to try and pep for resin and Bondo build an hd unfold of the facade of the hazen lords from destiny.

Here's a few images of the re-scale unfold wip hazen1.JPG ( >_> second re scale ) and an image of a ( sadly to small ) first assembly of the top20170428_222138.jpg . Will try and update as progress is made. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Day 4: The fun stops here.
At this point we get into alot of interdependence and overhangs in the file. the first two side overhanging pieces attach mostly to the sides of visor outline and supports. So i've decided to start on the visor and start assembling most of its surrounding pieces to give it a lot of rigidity. From there once the side overhanging pieces are on i can attach the small hood required to union the visor to the top while simultaneously attaching the backs of those side pieces to the section just above the ears.
20170501_212653.jpg

Edit Next update will probably be Monday 5/8/17

Last edited:
Nice! your pep work looks fantastic! Looking forward to seeing that bad boy done! :D

You plan on vac-forming the visor?

Nice! your pep work looks fantastic! Looking forward to seeing that bad boy done! :D

You plan on vac-forming the visor?
To be perfectly honest the visor was on the "cross bridge on arrival list" for my odst it was basically some bendable plastic hot glue and one way paint they make for car headlights. It looked fine on the outside. Was crap to look through on the inside.

I suggest looking into clear Worbla, which I believe is called Worbla Tranpa. Its a thermoplastic which would essentially allow you to vacuform it, but most people just apply heat and gently push it into corners(for normal worbla anyway). If you resined the visor separately and used it as a positive mold, you could just lay a sheet or 2 of it after tinting it, use a heat gun to apply the heat, and it will literally "melt" into shape on top of the positive mold. Only downside is that its kind of expensive, but dyeing it is pretty easy. Im planning on doing the same helmet and this was what I was planning to use.

I suggest looking into clear Worbla, which I believe is called Worbla Tranpa. Its a thermoplastic which would essentially allow you to vacuform it, but most people just apply heat and gently push it into corners(for normal worbla anyway). If you resined the visor separately and used it as a positive mold, you could just lay a sheet or 2 of it after tinting it, use a heat gun to apply the heat, and it will literally "melt" into shape on top of the positive mold. Only downside is that its kind of expensive, but dyeing it is pretty easy. Im planning on doing the same helmet and this was what I was planning to use.

I'd advise against WorblaTranspArt, yes it's easy to use but it's got some major downsides. My two biggest issues with it are
1. The inherent "beer goggles" effect that it gets from being rolled out which leaves lines from different thicknesses being pressed to be as uniform as possible. It is clear, yes, but rather disorienting after a while.
2. It's awkward working temperature. If you have a buck for forming the visor this might be a moot point but from experience it has a higher temperature to activate and be formable but will still deform slightly if just one layer thick if held in your hand even after cooled back to room temperature. I've made a Piece of Heart based on the Wind Waker design, clear resin heart in the center, clear worbla connecting the central heart to the outer edges, when held by the TranspArt for more than a minute it would start to pick up fingerprints and if supported only by the worbla it'd start to develop dips around your fingers.

Go with a 2mm acrylic or plexiglass sheeting if it's a simple curve that can be shaped with a heat gun or PETG and vacuum form a more complex shape.

Well, I might have to use other peoples expertise for now until I have enough of my own experience. Figured id just put the suggestion out there. Thanks TurboCharizard

Hay quick update for anyone watching the thread. I had some PC issues and a rather interesting experience with a smoking window AC unit that has distracted me from my pep work. I'm starting up again and should have some pretty pictures for all of you soon

Last edited:
I set aside all of tomorrow to get some work done so i'll make sure to post something for you :p

Here you are.
20170531_001425.jpg
Edit 11:50 pm
most of the work i got done today was tediously annoying tiny bits that throw everything off if not lined up perfectly. Tomorrow I'm going to be assembling part of one of the sides starting at the ears. Much in the way you would build out from the sides of an ODST unfold.

I'll be on vacation for a week and some change but worry not my build is safely tucked away and waiting for my return

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back