Its begun. My first armour build starting with MKVI helmet from Flying squirl

Status
Not open for further replies.

ste has

DSCF3410_zpsb90bcf2c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Day 2 & have cut out all pieces. Solid working at it since yesterday. So much so, that I have lost sensation in my right thumb & have managed to build the base at the rear. Gonna do some more tonight when the kids hit the hay.

Yes!! Another Halo 3 build! Good start. Don't neglect the internal support structure. It's absolutely essential in order to maintain the helmet's proper shape. I usually start with the crown of the helmet and work my way to the opening, but if this direction works, then go with it.

I look forward to more!

Think I'll go for the chest next after this, then the cod get the big stuff outta the way first, plus I can hang the rest of the armour off em when its done.
Good luck

Thanks for the advice carpathia. Wow that's a pretty damn good paint job on yours. You might hear from me later for some advice on that, awesome job.
Steve

I didn't do the supports and it came out perfect

Have you resined it yet? If so, and it didn't warp, you got lucky. I give advice from personal experience as well as observations I've made over the years. I've seen a lot of these helmets get ruined (two of my own) because the builders didn't use the supports.

Try to avoid contradicting sage advice.

I think puttin the supports in is the way for me. Prefer prevention is better than the cure. I'm gonna take every precaution.

Great progress. Keep it up. Don't make the mistake I did. When you resin it, install the paper visor in addition to the supports. My helmet came out ok but the chin moved up on me cuz the paper visor was not supporting during resin.

Your pep work is nice and clean.

DSCF3411_zps73f59f79.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Day 3:
Last nights efforts & things got a little more challenging but nothing a bit of filler wont sort out later on. Thanks for the comments and advice guys. Its all very welcome

DSCF3413_zps80f717d6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Day 4:
Put some solid work in for the most of today. Just the visor & some odd bits. Its not perfect but I,m proud all the same

"i think it's time he got his award hery"- rvbr vic.

and the award is the best thing ever feedback.

DSCF3416_zpsf58f093a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCF3415_zpsc29c0a49.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Hey guys.
Sorry its been a week. Been a little busy. But have managed to pep my sons helmet as well. Gonna have to knock up some supports for this one as none where with the file.
My helmet is completely pep'd now & also ready for the resin coat. Just awaiting the fibreglass to arrive, courtesy of your friendly neighbourhood Ebay.
I took your advice on this one Carpathia & started with the dome first. Much better. Thanks again & thanks for all the positive feedback guys your awesome.

Also while I'm here. Can anyone recommend a site/ Thread, to get decent reference pics from.
Regards
Steve

Google it bro, that's the best thing to do. Go onto google images and make your search for larger images and just browse for what you need and save it to a folder.

Google it bro, that's the best thing to do. Go onto google images and make your search for larger images and just browse for what you need and save it to a folder.

Yeah already done that, just wondered if anyone knew of any really detailed pics specifically.

DSCF3417_zps4b4583f9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Outside resin coat Number 1 applied to both helmets & just as I'm typing this the courier has arrived with my Fibre glass matting. Good timing fella. I decided to re-enforce the inside of the brim & visor housing by gluing in wooden skewers to create a hardened edge, seems to of worked for now.
DSCF3419_zps9c92ba52.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Daniels helmet also hanging upto dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back