Jacksonville, Fl Gamestops

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogWizard

Really - what's the point, people? Multiple locations (including the one where I have my copy reserved) are having this "BIG ODST MIDNIGHT RELEASE EVENT" and guess what - no event at all, at any of them. I even got a pre-recorded message hyping this thing up and telling me to "BE THERE AT 10PM SO I DON"T MISS ANY OF THE FESTIVITIES". Apparently they want you to show up at 10 and stand there for two hours doing NOTHING until they kick you out until the 12AM pickup time...

- No Costume Contest

- No Tournaments

- No Swag/Giveaways/Door Prizes

- No Food/Drink

- No Bands

- NO ANYTHING!!!

I know that Jacksonville is the ass-end of the known world as far as culture goes but please... At one store they said that they couldn't get any XBox's or TV's together for a tourney - WHAT? You're freakin' GAMESTOP! The other store said that they might be taking names for a tourney sometime in October - that's it, that's the BIG ODST EXTRAVAGANZA!!! These are both stores on Southside - heavy retail in a relatively affluent area so there is really no excuse for this kind of fail...

Heck, I may as well go to the grocery store and wander around... :eek

/rant off (Sorry 'bout that)

I know what you mean man. I grew up in Jax and my dad actually owns an Irish Pub down on the beach. A lot of gamestops are doing similar things, though mine is doing a Halo 3 legendary give away ...

- Adulese

That sounds almost exactly like the Halo 3 midnight release I was at. All sorts of hype and advertising, turn up at 10pm, sit round while they set up a single poster of the Chief, get in at just before midnight and that was about it There were only 12 people there (including myself and my brother) and most didn't stick around... They did have a Forza 2 competition to win your money back for Halo 3 (I got my $200 back for the Legendary :D ) but that was pretty lame and what does Forza have to do with Halo?

This time around they didn't even have a midnight release as far as I know, there was something going on at a bar in town but it sounded lame

Yeah, you guys all have to stop going to Gamestop period.. I'm hearing they pretty much such all around.

The smaller, independently owned stores tend to bend over backwards to do stuff for their customers.. especially when it comes to midnight launches and tournaments. Gamestop didn't give a damn. When I was booking for ODST appearances around the launch, Gamestop were real pricks to me. Rude on the phone, and as soon as they heard me say that I would be scheduling appearances at several stores, not just their store they cut me off and said "We'll have to check this with the district supervisor, we'll get back to you" and of course they never did.

Heck, it's their loss, but hey they don't have to be such jerks about it.

Meanwhile the smaller store that did hire me for several appearances around the launch has offered more dates for me even after the launch, with their ODST tourneys and weekend promotions. They're really nice people. I'll be there from 9-2am for a big ol' tournament with prizes and such...

You can't walk 10 feet in a mall without running into a Gamestop.. they're a monopoly like Starbucks and Walmart.. people have to start noticing that they kinda suck... especially when it comes to customer service.

/rant, too/

And this is why I'm going to be sleeping through the midnight release and picking up my copy Tuesday afternoon on my way home from work. Midnight releases don't really work unless you're in a big city and a lot of people attend, and the people hosting it know what they're doing (like midnight releases in downtown Seattle are fun as heck). It also helps when it's an event like a movie, so there's something AFTER all the waiting in line instead of just purchasing, going home.

Sean Bradley said:
Yeah, you guys all have to stop going to Gamestop period.. I'm hearing they pretty much such all around.

Gamestop were real pricks to me. Rude on the phone, and as soon as they heard me say that I would be scheduling appearances at several stores, not just their store they cut me off and said "We'll have to check this with the district supervisor, we'll get back to you" and of course they never did.

I had the exact same experience when "Wars" came out - they couldn't be bothered to even speak courteously about the event. They "had to check with the manager and would get back to me" - then nothing... I should have learned my lesson from that experience. I think you're right - I'm done with Gamestop (for everything). If all they want to do is push "product", there are plenty of other places that do that better, faster, and cheaper...

Belakor said:
They did have a Forza 2 competition to win your money back for Halo 3 (I got my $200 back for the Legendary :D ) but that was pretty lame and what does Forza have to do with Halo?

Forza 2..really...??? At the Halo 3 launch... That may be the lamest Halo-related thing I've ever read in my life... :unsure

But no - here in J-town, not even a Forza 2 tournamant...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was debating wether to bother with a suit for the release or to go to the midnight thing...but this pretty much decided it for me. Too much trouble arranging rides and such. I might still go out and pick it up and midnight just to play, but that's about it. Dressing up isn't worth it for a random Gamestop down here, though the manager at the one up in Union City was pretty nice when I was there for the truck tour.

But goddamn, I'll have one awesome costume come halloween.

well it doesn't matter to me since i don't have my suit finished. but i'm being told that the gamestop here in killeen (Tx) is where alot of the 405th are meeting up in suit. moonwilfflower saying she's going in her tex suit i believe XD

but i hope it's not all hype cause that'd be AWESOME if this gamestop pulled some things together. i hope they do. i'm crossing my fingers XD

though the gamestop i'm hoping to meet up with everyone isn't the one i reserved my copy with. i reserved my copy with the gamestop on post here at the clear creak px ^^;;

MY GS is oging to have a mid-night release but I don't expect them to do anything special. The hobby managers don't think outside of the box, and the area managers don't offer the support... Ugh never mind! LOL but seriously Gamestop was better when it was EB Games. At least they embraced theses sort of releases and special events! I was in Louisville when Halo 2 dropped and the EB there had a 10 hour tournament with the release a midnight... Lots of fun and food to be had!

I called my local one near my house in Miami, and they aren't gonna do a midnight release event tonight...i want to go around 11pm, but my dad said no and my little brother is being a bitch and saying i'm NOT allowed to play ODST because "he can't have anything to himself" DX

maybe i can ask my mom to take me around that time. :eek

when i was in the other day paying off my copy of Odst, i asked the Manager what they had planned, because they have a sign that says "Midnight Release Party"... or something like that. and the guy says "dude we got nothing, you can come and stand in line and thats all we are doing"... so i asked him why they dont set up a couple tv's and get a couple firefight games going, his reply was "yea we could do that, if you bring in a tv and an Xbox we could set it up, and open a copy or 2 around 10pm"

what a joke, why would i bring my own $#!T in? Gamestop is pretty weak, but we really dont have any other game stores around... we got Gamestop, Best Buy, Gamers and thats about it... none of witch ever do any sweet midnight releases...I was workin pretty long hours to get my odst done, but after that conversation i said "screw that, i aint going to half ass $#!T to get it done in time, only to stand there with 15 people..."

this is the same gamestop that when Halo 3 came out, they were going to set up a wrestling ring and have wrestling while people waited, and have Pizza and red Bull... none of those 3 things happened.

I guess I wouldn't have a major issue with it if they just said "Look - we're just another lame-ass retailer like everyone else so just come pick up the game when it's released" but NoooOOOoooo... They put together this fake "marketing blitz" and exciting "Midnight ODST Drop" bull and try to sucker you into believing that they're actually in-touch with this whole "gamer-thing"... :cool

I would love to road-trip to Texas to meet up with y'all - sounds like a great time even without the Gamestop BS. Have Fun!

At least you guys have some sort of game store.... Good ol' Sandpoint Idaho has nothing. It's full of yuppies who scoff at video games! :p

Just got back from stopping at our local GameStop, and I asked them what time the party was starting. The guys said, "Oh, we really aren't going to do a party. We open our doors again at 10pm, then you have to stand in line. And we will be raffling off the ODST standee too."

:angry

This is seriously so disappointing. I even took the time after work one day to walk over there and let the clerks know that I was going to make an appearance as Cortana, and to tell everyone who was ordering the game to be sure and stop by. They told me back then there was going to be a party just like for Halo Wars. I have lost most respect for GS now due to all this bullsh*t. Does anyone think I should even bother dressing up?

Lol. Well, good thing I'm getting the game on the weekend. I'm so glad I live around a bunch of infinitywartards now!

Sure, dress up and give this store we all hate more publicity.

Seriously, I won't even step foot in game stop anymore. It's play-n-trade or nothing.

Adulese said:
I know what you mean man. I grew up in Jax and my dad actually owns an Irish Pub down on the beach. A lot of gamestops are doing similar things, though mine is doing a Halo 3 legendary give away ...

- Adulese

haha would that be Lynches? And btw I'm glad you posted this Wizard...I was gonna go to the one in Mandarin tonight but I'm gonna pass it up and buy the game elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Above post: Nope, Fion McCools. It's like right on the beach. Talk to him and say Joey sent you and he may give you a discount. I'm waiting to call Gamestop and see what's up with my store. Hopefully something.

- Adulese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back