Jaku's Venator and Misc builds

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by Lieutenant Jaku, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Lieutenant Jaku

Lieutenant Jaku Well-Known Member

I finished the main part of the boot done, unfortunately I will have to extend it to fit over my shoe. KIMG1432.JPG KIMG1431.JPG KIMG1430.JPG KIMG1428.JPG KIMG1427.JPG
    The boot does not even fit when I don't have a shoe in it. Any recommendations for how I should extend it?

Dirtdives and TurboCharizard like this.
  2. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

Looks like you're missing a strap across the front of your ankle and the guard for the top of the boot. Those definitely help with keeping everything together but when I was building mine I found that to make everything stay in scale and still function I had to embed a shoe into the boot and build around it. I'll edit a picture into this post later on.

Dirtdives and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  3. Lieutenant Jaku

I am aware of the missing peices, I want to add them after I extend it. As of now I just need suggestions for what part I should extend it at.

Dirtdives and PerniciousDuke like this.
  4. Lieutenant Jaku

I finally repainted the barrels and did some weathering. It started as accidentall black washing but then I just did the whole thing KIMG1478.JPG KIMG1472.JPG . I think it looks ok

Dirtdives likes this.
  5. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

Any time you extend something you weaken it by adding more seams, so keep that in mind. Otherwise general rule of thumb is to pick the flattest area. If it's in the middle great! If it's on a side then you have to extend the otherside too.

6. PerniciousDuke

For my boot I extended it on both sides right where I drew this line.
    Screenshot_20180608-145532_Chrome.jpg
    But I also did pep, so I can't speak for sure with foam..

7. Lieutenant Jaku

So I did some messing around with foam and plastic models yesterday. Before I knew it I had another gun. I haven't painted it yet but it will be dark green and gold.
    KIMG1481.JPG KIMG1485.JPG KIMG1487.JPG
    Edit: this was the original gun, found it lying around.
    1529171385799-1376091743.jpg

Dirtdives and PaiganBoi like this.
  8. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi Sr Member

Just from the thumbnail the first thing I thought was a pipe pistol from Fallout 4.
    That's some slick Frankensteining.

9. Lieutenant Jaku

Thanks PaiganBoi, unfortunately I overslept today so I couldn't go buy paint.

I did however get to go to Goodwill and pick up a jacket to make a warlock cloak sometime during the summer. I don't want to take on the entire warlock cosplay now though because I haven't finished my spartan yet.
    Here is the jacket on my sister's dressmaking dummy.
    KIMG1489.JPG
    I also extended the boot enough to at least fit my bare foot, it mat need more later.
    KIMG1491.JPG
    I also was busy with consoles. I found a good deal for an original Xbox at Goodwill. It needs a video cable but it seems to work otherwise. I tried once again to fix my disc drive for 360 and failed again.
    1529184074442227147415.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  10. Lieutenant Jaku

I have a few questions, should I seal my chest plate or cut it and add clips/REM first.
    Also how should I do that? Cut just top bottom or both?
    Finally, does anyone have any warlock coat patterns? Or female Hunter, since my sister asked for my help with that cosplay.
    Thanks in advance.

Dirtdives and BlazedStarbon like this.
  11. TurboCharizard

It depends on where you're adding the clips in my opinion. I also like using Velcro on foam tabs to help with alignment of plates so if you have an image with where you're planning on splitting things it may help.

I know BlazedStarbon was working on a warlock at one point and she may have a pattern floating around from that build. OH GREAT CANADIAN RCO, I CALL THEE FROM THE DEEPS.

12. BlazedStarbon

BlazedStarbon RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Lieutenant Jaku for a coat pattern (if you plan to make one from scratch), JoAnn’s tends to have decently priced patterns for sale. Unfortunately, we don’t have that craft store up in Canada, so my warlock base was free-styled.

With no prior sewing experience, I took an old sweater and used that as a marking for the overall coat shape, and manually sizing sleeves that were pinned to my own arm.

Recently, I obtained a dressform mannequin, for ease of pinning and fabric placement.

Since Destiny’s designs are so unique, your best bet would be to alter a base coat with a similar shape, or alter a coat pattern that can be found online. I doubt it would help, but the link to my warlock build is on my profile page. There are other warlock builds that have been posted as well. :)

Check out mblackwell1102’s warlock on page 2 under the ‘Non-Halo Costume’ subforums. His build is more concrete for patterns.

13. Lieutenant Jaku

BlazedStarbon thanks, I think I might do that. Joann's doesn't have any guy patterns unfortunately, but I have a jacket that I can use.

14. Lieutenant Jaku

I also painted the gub that I had made previously.
    KIMG1504.JPG
    KIMG1506.JPG
    KIMG1510.JPG
    And just because I think it's funny here is a picture from me taking apart the Xbox
    KIMG1508.JPG

15. Lieutenant Jaku

Proof that I haven't been doing nothing.
    I just haven't been doing as much as I would like.
    I have been working on sealing my chest piece as well as cutting the visor to the right size.
    KIMG1669.JPG KIMG1668.JPG
    I have also been trying to get my printer working. The first print went well but the later ones didn't.
    KIMG1659.JPG KIMG1663.JPG KIMG1662.JPG 1533056839858-958376662.jpg
    They were all the same setting so no idea what happened.

16. PerniciousDuke

17. Lieutenant Jaku

18. TurboCharizard

Without seeing the models or your settings I'm guessing it's an issue with your supports and possibly flow multiplier based on the walls being a bit wispy in some parts and possible under-extrusion on the arms of the robot dude. Do you have some screen grabs of the settings and models so we can hivemind troubleshoot?

PerniciousDuke and Dirtdives like this.
  19. Lieutenant Jaku

TurboCharizard the file for the robot was Maker Faire Robot by MAKE the one with its arms up and the settings are in the pictures below.
    this was in cura.
    Capture67.PNG
    Capture68.PNG

since i actually need the printer part i think I may just bondo it for strength.

Dirtdives likes this.
  20. Dirtdives

Dirtdives RXO & Keeper of Con Lists 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

I went back to re-read your thread and failed to like them the first time....credit where credit is due.

PaiganBoi and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  21. Lieutenant Jaku

Got the shins from Halo 2 odst and added a few details based on concept art. Also the halo 2 anniversary odst have different shins (possibly same as Halo 3)
    KIMG1705.JPG KIMG1704.JPG KIMG1701.JPG
    Now for hardening, I have to go buy more resin.
    I also plan to start a shoulder tonight before doing the other boot (and finishing this one.

PerniciousDuke and Dirtdives like this.
  22. Lieutenant Jaku

I just noticed something that bothers me alot. Halo 2 and 3ODST take place at the same time.
    SO WHY IS THE ARMOR DIFFERENT?
    And why does it bother me so much?

Dirtdives and Sean Anwalt like this.
  23. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

I have a problem with any of the armors changing from game one to the next at all! I chalk it up to designers getting inconsistent and needing to "earn their pay!" ... ridiculous. don't change the armor, make it with better resolution. Gosh! haha

24. Lieutenant Jaku

So yesterday I made and sealed a shoulder piece and it's painting day today.
    KIMG1709.JPG KIMG1717.JPG
    Got test peices with different base colors
    KIMG1720.JPG
    This is my weathered one so far
    KIMG1726.JPG
    By the way for those of you who did odst costumes (TurboCharizard PaiganBoi I'm talking about you guys) how did you attach the medical ID on the shoulder and what material did you use for it.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  25. PerniciousDuke