Jaku's Venator, Marine, and Misc builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lieutenant Jaku

Sr Member
VENATOR Starts here
Marine Starts on Page 11
here are my pictures so far for my project. helmet only so far. Visor has not arrived yet and I haven't added dirt and grime yet KIMG0150.JPG KIMG0152.JPG KIMG0159.JPG KIMG0157.JPG KIMG0158.JPG KIMG0160.JPG KIMG0156.JPG KIMG0165.JPG KIMG0162.JPGcan you guess what I messed up?

Last edited:
It would appear that you didn't glue the pep visor in at all, which leads to the brim of the helmet not being supported during hardening. Looks good for a first helmet thought! Onward and upward!

It would appear that you didn't glue the pep visor in at all, which leads to the brim of the helmet not being supported during hardening. Looks good for a first helmet thought! Onward and upward!
Thanks and that would be correct as well as bad pep on the back and getting stuff stuck to the tip of the left triangle part and having to saw it off. I tried with the paint to make it look like that was the effect of heavy battle damage

Looks awesome man, I am still only starting my first build (Dont even have one piece done) but i am gonna end up working in this order, Arms, Head, Legs, Chest.. I feel like it would be best to take the most daunting task on last. The build looks really nice so far. ill be watching this thread to see what progress is made on this build.

I would stay away from Pep as a first helmet... With the community offering raw casts, you're better off buying some, since it equals probably the same amount to build and paint one.

My first pep was a disaster from the beginning. Slightly got better, and ended up being able to fix problems with bondo more than building it in pep.

Also, use bondo. It is your friend. not trying to come off harsh, I'm just lazy at words :p

Another thing you might want to consider is saving up for a $300 3d printed XD

I would stay away from Pep as a first helmet... With the community offering raw casts, you're better off buying some, since it equals probably the same amount to build and paint one.

My first pep was a disaster from the beginning. Slightly got better, and ended up being able to fix problems with bondo more than building it in pep.

Also, use bondo. It is your friend. not trying to come off harsh, I'm just lazy at words :p

I have a 3d printer but it is not big enough.
also, I would have used more bongo and it would have looked better but I lack the patience skill and a power sander

I have a 3d printer but it is not big enough.
also, I would have used more bongo and it would have looked better but I lack the patience skill and a power sander

That sounds fair...

On regards to the 3d printer, can't you slice up the pieces? I sliced mine up into about 10 pieces. They've been glued, and reinforced, now they're being sanded.

That sounds fair...

On regards to the 3d printer, can't you slice up the pieces? I sliced mine up into about 10 pieces. They've been glued, and reinforced, now they're being sanded.
Yes but it will take some work. I may try printing other pieces later on in the build.
Anyway I have some chest armor pictures and questions.KIMG0203.JPG KIMG0202.JPG KIMG0201.JPG KIMG0200.JPG so how do I fill the cracks on the edges and gaps in-between parts.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. Pep is an awesome way to get into the costuming world, and helmets are great because they are symmetrical, roundish objects. A little time and patience go a long way. I did mine without any power tools (aside from a Dremel that I purchased near the end of the project), and the EOD you see in my avatar is the first pep I did. It just takes some research and perseverance to make amazing props.

As for the 3D printer... I'll agree with you there haha. It's definitely on the list of things to buy.

That is a hugely contested question with many answers. Hot glue: Pros, it fills in gaps and quick cure time; Cons, it's hard to smooth out, not impossible...just hard. Caulk: Also fills in gaps nicely easier to work with than hot glue; Cons, dry time is several hours until you can work w/ the piece and sanding is difficult as well. Joint Compound/Plaster of Paris: Pros, fills gaps easy to work with, smooths easily with sanding, takes paint; Cons, cracks easily when filling in foam gaps.

I'm probably missing few here and there and some other gap filling items, but my brain isn't working right now......

I'm going to have to disagree with this. Pep is an awesome way to get into the costuming world, and helmets are great because they are symmetrical, roundish objects. A little time and patience go a long way. I did mine without any power tools (aside from a Dremel that I purchased near the end of the project), and the EOD you see in my avatar is the first pep I did. It just takes some research and perseverance to make amazing props.

As for the 3D printer... I'll agree with you there haha. It's definitely on the list of things to buy.

Pepakura isn't symmetrical. They're assymetrical. No matter what you do, you're not going to get a pep symmetrical.

The model may be symmetrical, but once it warps.

Ahhhh.....but warping can be minimized by using bracing pieces, like popsicle sticks taped to the inside with large flat areas and to bridge gaps to hold things in place while things cure......

Last edited:
I did say minimize........but it will keep it as symmetrical as possible........and it's not like everything is going to end up looking like it came straight from the Acme Co......
giphy (25).gif

The same can go for all forms of armor making... foam takes a while to learn to cut correctly. You have to be patient with pep or your armor will look warped and bumpy. 3D printing is useful but it can still cause problems. You need to understanf how to model and cut models. You have to glue the peices togeter cause you end up printing them seperatly. You also need to glue the parts together without creating really messed up seems. Then you have to sand it just as much as you would a pep file maybe more because of the print lines. And lastly.... what would you be more proud of? A pep/foam work that you put countless hours into making. Or a printed set that you spent 50 hours doing nothing but bolting and sanding together peices, that each can take up to 9 hours to print.

Each way has pros and cons... the biggest for me is feeling accomplished with the final product. While i have not finished my first peice yet... the bits i have finished i am proud of. Do what you wantbi honestly could care less, its your project i wont tell you what you should and what you shouldnt do

That is a hugely contested question with many answers. Hot glue: Pros, it fills in gaps and quick cure time; Cons, it's hard to smooth out, not impossible...just hard. Caulk: Also fills in gaps nicely easier to work with than hot glue; Cons, dry time is several hours until you can work w/ the piece and sanding is difficult as well. Joint Compound/Plaster of Paris: Pros, fills gaps easy to work with, smooths easily with sanding, takes paint; Cons, cracks easily when filling in foam gaps.

I'm probably missing few here and there and some other gap filling items, but my brain isn't working right now......
thanks, I guess i'll try caulk but in case that does not work how do you shape hot glue?

pep is great unfortunately I did not do the proper research first. but I have learned from my mistakes to research more in the future.

this helmet I actually made about a half year ago but I felt I should complete it anyway. If I have time when I finish everything else I will make a new helmet.

thanks, I guess i'll try caulk but in case that does not work how do you shape hot glue?

Its best to shape the glue when it is still hot....I use either the side of a dull blade or an envelope opener. Another way is to use a hot knife and scrape the side smooth if the glue has cooled.

ust make sure it's the paintable flavor....if you get the one for bath/shower....your paint won't stick to it. Look for "Painter's Caulk".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back