Status
Not open for further replies.

Achille

A quick search of the site, and I didn't see any topics concerning this, so I guess I'll make one.

So I saw Avatar tonight, in 2D. I'm not going to post spoilers, but I can say that the movie is absolutely amazing. It's got a relatively simple plot; but it's spiced up and "frosted" with good action, good narration, and wonderful visuals. The wildlife of Pandora, especially, was very well done and very original. I'm definitely going to see it in IMAX 3D the first chance I get.

The CGI of the film was very realistic; only one time in the whole 2 1/2 hour movie did I think "That looks animated". The culprit? A plant in the background. All the mechs, creatures, and characters looked very realistic. Even if you pay no attention to the plot or dialog, the visuals are more than enough to keep you entertained.

Movie quality aside, some of the first things I noticed were, of course, the props that could be made! The ones that caught my eye were the mechs, the clan leader's bow, and the "flight goggles" that the Na'vi use when riding Banshees.

So... Anyone else seen it? What's your opinion?

P.S. I seem to recall seeing somewhere (on this site, I think) some very detailed diagrams of the mech walkers; they showed all the angles and detail areas. I, unfortunately, never saved them. Anyone have them?

I haven't seen it, but I've heard that the CGI was worth the price of the movie ticket. Would you recommend seeing it now, or wait till it goes to the "cheap seats"

Thanks!

Good golly. That movie was phenomenal. I didn't see in 3d either, but IMAX is certainly on the list for the near future.

Achille said:
...Na'vi...

129462-navi_large.jpg

Anyways, I've heard only good things about the movie, so I'll see it at IMAX next week (probably).

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense, but you haven't fully experienced it until watching it in 3D. It was so amazing. He perfectly balanced the 3D so it wasn't like a cheesy 3D movie where things pop out at you, but makes you feel immersed in the movie. You feel like you can reach out and touch anything, and are a part of Pandora. Next to District 9, my favorite movie of the year. (Now we gotta see if Sherlock Holmes lives up to expectations)

Off topic her but... ^since when was Sherlock Holmes Bat Man? I wean I thought he was a detective not a super hero.

I've been twice so far, one of the few times we actually get a really good movie before the rest of the world :D Loved it both times!

You really do need to see it in 3D, I didn't see it in IMAX 3D (since the IMAX here sucks pretty hard) but the RealD 3D is awesome. Like mooseguy said, it's really well done 3D, really gives it depth that makes things feel much more real.

Not sure if I'll go a third time, since it's pretty expensive compared to a normal movie, but it's on the Blu-Ray list along with D9 :D

Saw it last night in 3D. I couldn't imagine NOT watching it in 3D. My stomach turned when they were climbing the highest cliffs. You REALLY felt like you were there. The film itself: one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Top 5 for sure.

Wow, This movie was Amazing, Saw it last night. Its so awesome in 3D you really feel like your there. This movie is one of the best i have ever seen. The story line was great. The only thing that sucked was when the movie ended :(. But i want to see it again Im going to buy this for sure. Movie was the best, i loved. Everyone needs to see in 3D.\

Thanks,

Th3 FETT MAN

Yeah, I'm so psyched to see it in IMAX. Straight from the beginning, when the droplets are floating the cryo pod, I was thinking "This would be so cool 3D". But family matters comes first, so I'm out of luck until next week.

James Cameron, Stan Winston, and Weta Digital did a phenomenal job in created what has to be the best visual effects to date by far.

Cameron wrote the original script in the late 90's and is stated as saying that if the movie is a hit, which I am fairly sure it will be, that he will make a trilogy of it.

I absolutely loved the movie in 3D, and I completely loath heights so that's saying something.

I really want to see it, but money is a bit tight at the moment.

I'll probably see in a couple weeks(Go ahead. pick on me all you want people. BRING IT ON!!).

-Pony

I saw it at the midnight show in 3D and ....WOW.....it was amazing.

Alot of people on the internets have complained that the plot isn't that original. But I'm alright with that because it still felt fresh. The CG was the best to yet grace the screen, It had some truly epic battles, and something that doesnt happen alot in recent movies....I actually cared about the characters.

It is definitely worth the full price of a 3D ticket.

i saw it... in the third dimension. I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!best movie ive ever seen so far. they knda showed a little too much if ya know what i mean. but i loved it none the less!

I saw it to day. I was originaly going to see it in 2-D but got shanghied into the 3-D one and am verry glad I saw it it was great. Now I need to find a Imax theater near me that is showing it.

I've seen it twice now, and it's absolutely and utterly amazing. I can't wait to see it again. I've seen it only in 2D so far, but my friends and I are going to go see it in IMAX 3D, so it should be quite the experience.

For those on the edge, it's spectacular, and you definitely need to see it in theaters. The characters are very well developed, and you definitely start feeling for them as the movie progresses. It's 2hrs 40mins or so, but you don't notice. (You know how some long movies start to lose your interest? This one won't. It's beautifully balanced in its plot development and action scenes to keep you watching and not get bored of it.)

:] In fact, first time I saw it, there's one part where the screen blacks out for a bit, pretty well into the movie, and some guy shouted, "IT BETTER NOT BE OVER." Haha.

One of my favorite parts of the movie is when the "Horse" is on fire; with its flesh peeling off as it's running, it looks eerily similar to the Fourth Horseman, and it gives me goosebumps. I think it's one of the most powerful scenes in the movie.

That, and when Hometree falls, and the poor Na'vi are wailing in pain.. by the time it gets to that point, you're so attached to them, it hurts you as well. :/

And it's hilarious, I forget how big they are until about the end of the movie when you're reminded. Hah!

Edit: And as for "seeing too much".. I'm getting really tired of nudity being something that can only be shown in a sexual sense. Thank goodness for Watchmen actually having Dr. Manhattan's penis visible, and thank goodness for the outfits the Na'vi wear. Pandora isn't Earth.

My thought was that it was the best movie EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked the final battle.

the ending was cool.

the hair thing that "bonded" the na'vi to the animals and other plants and exc. was interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back