Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadet

Executive Officer
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S111
Like several others I had the good fortune to snag one of the Jazwares Infinite Master Chief helmets during the Prime Day sale on October 11th. The helmet itself is actually a very nice base, and the visor in particular is fantastic. Excellent mirror finish. It alone was worth the $42 I spent for this helmet in the Prime sale, in my opinion. The weathering job leaves something to be desired, though.

We had what is likely to be our last good weekend of weather this past weekend, with Temps up in the 70s, so I took the opportunity to do a repaint on the helmet.

I rushed a little trying to get the rattle can painting done before the Temps fell into the 50s again, so I did not document as I had intended.

The color I that was recommended to me before Infinite's release was Rust-Oleum Satin Eden. So, the whole thing first got a coat of Rust-Oleum primer after typing off the visor, inside and out for extra protection. I then gave the whole helmet a layer of Rust-Oleum metallic silver. I then masked off my intended damaged areas with liquid latex, focusing on the high points and heavy wear edges and areas. I also experimented with the Salt chipping technique where you wet the piece with a light layer or mist of water, then blow or sprinkle salt onto the piece. You left the water dry off, but the salt remains stuck to the piece.

Once the water was dry, I then put down another layer of the Rust-Oleum black primer. I then masked off around the edges of several of the silver scraps to add another layer of depth and physicality to the weathering.

Then I did the final layer of the Satin Eden piece. Next up is the acrylic washes in black and burnt umber, but fortunately that can be done inside.

So, here is where we stand pre-wash acrylic wash.

20221026_190440.jpg

20221026_190655.jpg

20221026_190728.jpg

Last edited:
I picked one up too and after seeing your I think I may need to take a stab at redoing the paint.

(Also - love seeing the fancy new Midwest flag in the background! I didn't realize that those would get to people so quickly)

i did not get one because i though they would be poorly put together. well now i could kick my self for not doing it dang it! great job by the way on the redo looks beautiful

I snagged 1 as well, it's a great starting point for a build - similar to the Black Series Star Wars buckets imo.

Attachments

• 20221104_173042.jpg
    20221104_173042.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 85
Like several others I had the good fortune to snag one of the Jazwares Infinite Master Chief helmets during the Prime Day sale on October 11th. The helmet itself is actually a very nice base, and the visor in particular is fantastic. Excellent mirror finish. It alone was worth the $42 I spent for this helmet in the Prime sale, in my opinion. The weathering job leaves something to be desired, though.

We had what is likely to be our last good weekend of weather this past weekend, with Temps up in the 70s, so I took the opportunity to do a repaint on the helmet.

I rushed a little trying to get the rattle can painting done before the Temps fell into the 50s again, so I did not document as I had intended.

The color I that was recommended to me before Infinite's release was Rust-Oleum Satin Eden. So, the whole thing first got a coat of Rust-Oleum primer after typing off the visor, inside and out for extra protection. I then gave the whole helmet a layer of Rust-Oleum metallic silver. I then masked off my intended damaged areas with liquid latex, focusing on the high points and heavy wear edges and areas. I also experimented with the Salt chipping technique where you wet the piece with a light layer or mist of water, then blow or sprinkle salt onto the piece. You left the water dry off, but the salt remains stuck to the piece.

Once the water was dry, I then put down another layer of the Rust-Oleum black primer. I then masked off around the edges of several of the silver scraps to add another layer of depth and physicality to the weathering.

Then I did the final layer of the Satin Eden piece. Next up is the acrylic washes in black and burnt umber, but fortunately that can be done inside.

So, here is where we stand pre-wash acrylic wash.

View attachment 324692

View attachment 324693

View attachment 324694
Looks great! Especially in front of that Midwest flag!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back