Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetskigunner

For those of you who know me, I don't tend to post on the forum a lot, or really at all. But I figured I'd actually make a build thread for once. As the title suggests, I'm making a Mark VII from Infinite, thanks to 343's generous cosplay guide, I have all of the reference images I need. I'll drop my screencaps in here for those of you who haven't seen them or need them. The helmet will be 3D printed, while the armor will be scratch built in foam with my own handmade patterns.

Currently, we're making the helmet. I taught myself to model in fusion 360 this past year, so I am 3D modeling it myself using front, side, back, and top view screencaps of the helmet. If you have a 3D printer, I HIGHLY recommend learning Fusion, intimidating at first, but surprisingly easy to learn. Being able to make your own models truly unlocks the full potential of your machine. (I know that there are already some files up for download, but I wanted to contribute one of my own, the file will be uploaded to the armory after it gets printed, but will also be posted to my etsy store if any want to support my work. Your choice, the file will also be totally free here)

Looking forward to posting my progress on the forum for a change, wish me luck.

Now for my screenshots. Here we have the front, back, side, and top view of the helmet. I'll post some shots of the model when it's done.
Helmet back.PNG
Helmet front.PNG
Helmet side.PNG
Helmet top.PNG

1st Update. Helmet has been fully modeled.

I modeled the helmet in fusion 360, it's not perfect, and not 100% accurate, but I'm very happy with how it came out. Every model presents its own challenges, and presents its own lessons. In this case, I got ahead of myself and started hollowing out the pieces too early, causing some frustration and difficulty in getting everything to line up right. But I managed to figure it out, and I think the results speak for themselves, this is going to make for a really cool helmet. I'm going to print it in PETG, which I've never used before but have heard great things about. I just need to get some on order and then I can start tweaking print setting on my CR10 and get printing. But for now, here are some progress pics of the finished model. After I print and make sure it prints okay, I'll upload the files to the 405th, for other people to use if they wish.

Attachments

• Model Photo 1.PNG
    Model Photo 1.PNG
    156.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Model photo 2.PNG
    Model photo 2.PNG
    148.6 KB · Views: 188
  • Model Photo 3.PNG
    Model Photo 3.PNG
    135.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Model Photo 4.PNG
    Model Photo 4.PNG
    143.5 KB · Views: 178
2nd update

With the helmet modeled and printing, and Florida finally starting to cool down (thus making my garage habitable again) I have begun in earnest on the armor parts. I like to work from the bottom up, as this lets me make the most of my mobility as I build and help keep proportions consistent. I find pepakura confusing, so I always make my own templates.
242915390_4087603404685014_4833598102405961233_n.jpg242740417_4087603484685006_6853318133551897836_n.jpg

As you can see, they fit pretty well, not too bad for a days worth of work if I say so myself. Are they 100% accurate? No. Do they have details that don't actually exist on the in game armor? Yes.

All of my suits are studies in the concept of being correct or feeling right. I change things to make the build easier on my self and better fit my mental image of what I want. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let PERFECT be the enemy of GOOD. I like these legs, for me, they work, for you, they may not.

All in all, I am feeling VERY good about the progress I've made, and if this is any indication of what the rest of the suit will look like, I am going to be proud to wear it.

Last edited:
2nd update

With the helmet modeled and printing, and Florida finally starting to cool down (thus making my garage habitable again) I have begun in earnest on the armor parts. I like to work from the bottom up, as this lets me make the most of my mobility as I build and help keep proportions consistent. I find pepakura confusing, so I always make my own templates.
View attachment 310194View attachment 310195

As you can see, they fit pretty well, not too bad for a days worth of work if I say so myself. Are they 100% accurate? No. Do they have details that don't actually exist on the in game armor? Yes.

All of my suits are studies in the concept of being correct or feeling right. I change things to make the build easier on my self and better fit my mental image of what I want. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let PERFECT be the enemy of GOOD. I like these legs, for me, they work, for you, they may not.

All in all, I am feeling VERY good about the progress I've made, and if this is any indication of what the rest of the suit will look like, I am going to be proud to wear it.
Do I see a mk7?!

could I ask is there any templates like this so I could use memory foam

There are foam Mark VII files in the armory.

Though - these would typically use EVA foam, not memory foam.

Latest progress update:

Currently at the paint stage, forgot to take more pics but I've been doing a lot of this pretty quickly. The helmet has been totally painted and needs to be weathered still.
Helmet painted.jpg
Helmet painted 2.jpg

I went with an Olive green from Montana brand spray paint. I usually use Belton Molotow premium, but it wasn't in stock at my usual supplier. It's acrylic based and has a low output nozzle, so it's a lot harder to go to heavy and create paint drips. I also applied some stencils with my vinyl cutter, which I highly recommend as an investment to take your paint schemes to the next level. The logo shown is that of my Destiny clan, most of which are also 405th members.
245242496_4136823023096385_414142381209706765_n.jpg

The suit will be fully wearable next weekend, and I'll be able to get some really cool pics of it then.

Considering that this was a speed build of about 10 days, I think I did pretty well. There are some things I want to change on the kit, like remodeling the helmet to make it more accurate, and possibly redoing the torso as well. But overall I'm really happy with it considering I did all of the patterns and 3D models myself. I've never written a build thread before now either, and I think it's something I'm going to do more often.
250917595_4201058713339482_1183233775830403517_n.jpg
250222926_4201058793339474_6049435345481400846_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back