Juliet's Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks fellas! :D

Wanna see how the rest of the 'shop camee together?

The Spray Booth.

I'd made an item for a friend at our old house that required a paint job (the details I'll go into later when I show what I've made when no one's around at work and I've had the metal lathe all to myself ;) ). But seeing as we were renting I had concerns about paint going everywhere, so I built a small spray booth in the corner of the shed. When we moved and I saw the potential in the place we're in now it was obvious that I needed to put the spray booth back in.

Again all the timber is from stuff that I've scrounged but all the rest (drop sheets, tarp, screws) I've paid for. All up I'd say less then $30 AUS.

4ae9be9b.jpg

d80ea1ca.jpg

8ddadce2.jpg

The first night I had it finished I turned off all the other lights and the only one left on was for the booth, man it was creepy! If there had been someone standing in there I would have screamed for Linda to come save me!:lol:
e536465b.jpg

And just to show inside.
2c20e87a.jpg

The Drawing Desk.

As I looked more and more into building props it became obvious that I needed to draw up plans to build off of. So I built myself a little drawing board and pulled out my old set squares and pacer. But when I got the rest of the workshop set up and my workbench done it gave me the need to have an allocated drawing desk. Enter my old kitchen table that I no longer needed to use as a workbench (I paid for the ply board, screws, glue, handles, all the rest is recycled)-

Building the right hand pigeon hole to house my folder and drawing board.
e0a7444e.jpg

350be709.jpg

Building the centre draw for all my equipment.
975df9d3.jpg

811e503c.jpg

Sawing the grooves for the draw's MDF base.
5df1706f.jpg

d23b288f.jpg

a4c81d3f.jpg

The second pigeon hole done...
714f6f64.jpg

... For the WIP drawings draw.
cbe2c187.jpg

dd21b403.jpg

c8222c11.jpg

be022a6a.jpg

c95805bd.jpg

That's about it for how the workshop came together. I've got a couple of other things that I made on the metal lathe at work that I'll post when I dig up the pictures. ;)

juliet76 said:
Privateer said:
I miss living next to my shop its a 45min drive to it now, so here is what I have to work with now not much to look at and there is another bench added but this is the man pit as the CEO calls it. LOL

Lol, Linda hasn't called mine a name yet but I'm sure she's thought it.

Yeah it's called Joe's Getaway, or Linda's Super Happy Fun Time :p

juliet76 said:
Widman2013 said:
also, it looks like he heard about the Zombism break outs. hes ready for an attack with his gun on his desk.

Be prepared son. That's my motto. ;)

So true. I have a Fubar hanging next to my side of the bed. :D

It is a great space for a workshop and one of the first things we looked for when we moved. On the spray booth I really wanted to put up a sign saying "Killing Room" to make it that bit more creepy :confused: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do i spy a FN P90 in the works there ;) Or something very similair in shape anyway :lol:
I do rather envy to cleanliness of your workshop! The floor of mine is 1/4 resin now :lol: And thats after i cleaned it out a few weeks ago...

p0rtalman said:
Do i spy a FN P90 in the works there ;) Or something very similair in shape anyway :lol:
I do rather envy to cleanliness of your workshop! The floor of mine is 1/4 resin now :lol: And thats after i cleaned it out a few weeks ago...

Damn Portalman, good eye! That's just something I've got laying around here from when I first got my jigsaw and wanted to try it out. Size ended up been a bit off (but that was before I had my drawing board in action) so I haven't really done anything with it other than picking it up occasionally and acting like an idiot with it. Considered making a rubber band gun out of inspired by a cool one I saw on youtube (search for "P90 rubberband gun" and you should find it) but, constantly getting siddetracked.

Yeah I think I'll invest in another tarp for the floor when I reach the resining stage for that reason. May not be all that far off now, I'm very happy with the range of ODST reference pictures I have at this point. Think I'll start at the bottom and work my way up though, just to get a hang of everything. ;)

P.S. Portalman, I've sent you a PM concerning the prospect of a Brisbane 405th Shindig.

Joe, you are one heck of a craftsman! Those are some awesome builds.

Don't forget you have an ODST surprise on its way to you!

LeeKegan said:
Don't forget you have an ODST surprise on its way to you!

How the Helljumper could I? (y) :D

Thank you very much Lee! You, Ithica and Rube are all great guys! I think I'll find away around the technical limitations I currently have to do my first video when that package arrives. :D

Das Brutus said:
green is the color of man who looks upon this wook room and dreams...
couldnt have been said any better O___O
my workstation is a patio table and a piece of sandpaper =\
ah.... but such are the limitations placed on you at the age of 17 lol
seriously your workplace is godlike

edit.....
Has anyone ever told you that you look like Cid from Final Fantasy? XDDDD

Awesome workshop.

Mental Note:
When I move out I'm making sure I have a nice spacious workshop...and a sewing room for other costume stuff....

Wow! Thats a workshop. All those tools and space to work, I can really go to town. Juliet i'm jealous... and your right you cant have enough clamps :eek:

Damn dude, I wish I had that warehouse sized area to put all my stuff in! I'm stuck in my cramped 810 sq ft apartment with an overabundance of furniture. Your shop makes me look like I've been working in a phonebooth! This is what I've got to work with:

Here's the analog part of my studio:

DSC01569.jpg

That copper banded steel scrollworked thing on the floor is my unfinished metalsmithing final - a chandelier.

And the digital part of my studio:

DSC01572.jpg

And the funny thing is that they both used to fit in one room. But since jewelry scale fabrication is what I usually work with I suppose I'm not doing too bad. My next buys are gonna be a band saw, a drill press, an anvil, and a new, bigger vice next semester.

Not to hijack your thread or nuthin... you make my stuff look like Tinkertoys!

sharkhead7854 said:
my workstation is a patio table and a piece of sandpaper =\
ah.... but such are the limitations placed on you at the age of 17 lol
seriously your workplace is godlike

edit.....
Has anyone ever told you that you look like Cid from Final Fantasy? XDDDD

I wish I'd been into this sort of thing when I was your age mate, so I'm jealous of you. I started buying tools with the intention of starting a workshop when I was thirty (about two and a half years ago) imagine what the workshop would be like if I'd started at your age!

Well no one's ever really seen me with the goggles on and a cigar hanging out of my gob, except for you guys, so no no one I know has ever told me I look like Cid (not that any of my old friends played FFVII either). Thanks! ;)

Kaya Tetsu said:
Mental Note:
When I move out I'm making sure I have a nice spacious workshop...and a sewing room for other costume stuff....

DFINATELY!!! It was our (my) primary intention of getting a place with a good workshop area when we had to move.

BFDesigns said:
Damn dude, I wish I had that warehouse sized area to put all my stuff in! I'm stuck in my cramped 810 sq ft apartment with an overabundance of furniture. Your shop makes me look like I've been working in a phonebooth!

...But since jewelry scale fabrication is what I usually work with I suppose I'm not doing too bad. My next buys are gonna be a band saw, a drill press, an anvil, and a new, bigger vice next semester.

Not to hijack your thread or nuthin... you make my stuff look like Tinkertoys!

Not hijacking at all BF. Man it maybe small but it looks to me like you're doing great things with what you've got. ;)

Dead Drop Spike

A while ago a friend was writing a espionage type script and asked me if I could make him a dead drop spike. I had some free time at work and drew up a simple plan, grabbed some scrap off cut and ran off to the lathe.

The plan.
Image0381.jpg

Drilling the hollow centre.
Image0371.jpg

Opening it up to the size I wanted.
Image0391.jpg

Tidying up the outside.
Image0401.jpg

The tip.
Image0411.jpg

Body done.
Image0421.jpg

I grabbed another bit of scrap for the end cap.
Image0431.jpg

Machined it down.
Image0441.jpg

Body and end cap.
Image0451.jpg

Then there was tapping.
Image0511.jpg

Which all went well.
Image052.jpg

All together with an oring for water proofing.
Image053.jpg

This project was the reason I made the first spray booth.
Image024.jpg

Can you believe I didn't under coat this? I knew so little (still so much I don't know, which is why I came here to learn).
Image025.jpg

Finished.
spike.jpg

Image042-1.jpg

Image041-1.jpg

We even found a good sized box to send it to him in.
sp1.jpg

sp2.jpg

I suppose next I'll go looking for the pictures of that lightsaber hilt that I made the same way.

LeeKegan said:
Nice project, planned and executed. Can you tell me what a drop dead spike is?

In the first sentence (underneath the heading of dead drop spike) click on dead drop spike. That's a link to a Wiki page explaining how spies use dead drops to exchange information. ;)

juliet76 said:
In the first sentence (underneath the heading of dead drop spike) click on dead drop spike. That's a link to a Wiki page explaining how spies use dead drops to exchange information. ;)

Looks like a kobutan; A self defense weapon about 4-6 inches long and about 3/8-1/2 inch wide made usually of machined aluminum, hollow steel rod, or even wood in some cases. It's used in the even that someone tries to attack you in public and is very good for getting extra leverage while putting your opponent through joint manipulation type stuff. Also can be used to spike people, as a fistpack, or as a handle to swing your keys into someone's face with, like a small flail.

Very well done though! You could start up a nice business with this sort of thing.

P.S.: Hooray for tap and die! I still gotta pick up some micro taps for my shop.

BFDesigns said:
Looks like a kobutan...

Except, it's... not a kobutan. :p

Very well done though! You could start up a nice business with this sort of thing.

Unfortunatly I don't think the spy business is big enough for me to make a living off of just these. ;)

P.S.: Hooray for tap and die! I still gotta pick up some micro taps for my shop.

I love my tap and die set. I was at a wood working/timber show today and a stall had a 1-3mm tap and die set. Man I'd be terrified to tap a 1mm hole!:lol:

There's a regular at the local arms fair that we have here every three months or so that has a range of rifles that he's made that are something like 1/4 the size of the real things. They're amazing! And he makes everything from scratch including his screws. Like I said I'd be terrified to tap a hole that small the first time, the taps are so frail at 1 and 2mil. How small do you deal with BF?

juliet76 said:
There's a regular at the local arms fair that we have here every three months or so that has a range of rifles that he's made that are something like 1/4 the size of the real things. They're amazing! And he makes everything from scratch including his screws. Like I said I'd be terrified to tap a hole that small the first time, the taps are so frail at 1 and 2mil. How small do you deal with BF?

I usually have to tap stuff that will fit an E00-90 screw which means I'm tapping a hole that's about 1.15mm ID. Usually a #60-62 drill bit. I have to have metal that will allow for 3 threads though in order to stick properly so it usually has to be 18 gauge. If I can't then I use nuts & washers to make sure it works. It actually feels easier to me to tap small holes like this cuz you use a pin vice instead of a T-Bar.

But here's what I usually can do with microtaps:

Img96_default_view.jpg

That was a spring hinge project for school; a working pocket watch.

And here's what I do when i have to use nuts & washers on a 1/16" clearance bit:

Img39_Size_Ref.jpg

Each one of those except for the lower right brass bezel is held in place with nuts & washers on the other side. The panel that isn't is microtapped (E00-90 Hex Head screws).

Wow....when I move to the aunts in a year to go to college up there (its the plan at the moment), I think I'll take over half the basement....or in the case of grandma (not sure which one I'll stay with), grandpa's old woodworking shop.

Keep the pics coming its awesome....I'm gonna try and get a job this summer...oh,drat I ment to pick-up an application today,but ended up going to Ren Fest...I'll have to do that. Anyway, I'll start buying anything I can't borrow soon and then when I move out I'll buy the stuff I don't have anymore. :p I don't mind getting stuff second hand, as long as it works right?

Of course, tapping small holes like that are pretty scary even with a pin vise. I snapped a 00-90 tap off in one of the holes of that heart, and they're mad expensive! Gotta back out at least 1-1/2 turns for every 1/4 turn. Bur Life really helps out a lot though, remember to use that stuff; even works on big taps! Pro Cut and Beeswax also work pretty well too, especially for sawing, but Bur Life works the best.

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted anything everybody. I've been busy working on 405th builds/drawings and have taken a brake from posting so I can get more work done. When I'm finished I'll post some pics of what I've been working on. ;)

BFDesigns said:
I usually have to tap stuff that will fit an E00-90 screw which means I'm tapping a hole that's about 1.15mm ID. Usually a #60-62 drill bit. I have to have metal that will allow for 3 threads though in order to stick properly so it usually has to be 18 gauge. If I can't then I use nuts & washers to make sure it works. It actually feels easier to me to tap small holes like this cuz you use a pin vice instead of a T-Bar.

But here's what I usually can do with microtaps...

Man BF, the stuff you've done is amazing! I've said it before and I'll say it again- if you started up your own workshop thread it'd blow mine clean out of the water! -So how about you just keeping posting in here then eh?:lol:

Kaya Tetsu said:
Wow....when I move to the aunts in a year to go to college up there (its the plan at the moment), I think I'll take over half the basement....or in the case of grandma (not sure which one I'll stay with), grandpa's old woodworking shop.

...Anyway, I'll start buying anything I can't borrow soon and then when I move out I'll buy the stuff I don't have anymore. :p I don't mind getting stuff second hand, as long as it works right?

Alot of the stuff I'm still using is second hand and it works just fine. Make sure to keep us updated on how the hostile workshop takeover goes when you get to that point next year Kaya. ;)

BFDesigns said:
Of course, tapping small holes like that are pretty scary even with a pin vise. I snapped a 00-90 tap off in one of the holes of that heart, and they're mad expensive! Gotta back out at least 1-1/2 turns for every 1/4 turn. Bur Life really helps out a lot though, remember to use that stuff; even works on big taps! Pro Cut and Beeswax also work pretty well too, especially for sawing, but Bur Life works the best.

I've located where I put the pictures of my lightsaber hilt and I'll post them soon. I broke a tap working on that, but been an M5 tap I was able to grind it out (I took pictures I think). How the hell did you deal with such a small tap getting broken in your piece BF? As for lube when tapping I've only ever used a light machine oil, because it's what I've got on hand. I'll have a look around for some of the ones you mentioned, with the amount I actually tap a container should last me years. :)

I've realised I never took a picture of the hilt "finished" so when I get around to doing that I'll post some more pics. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back