Just Another Armor Newbie? Mjolnir Mk VI (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK primmer, any gen. purpose primmer will work it more of a texture/bonding aspect. 3M make some nice stuff and of course Rust-oleum Painter's Touch is is always high on the list. The higher quality paint is smoother with less clumps. Next part. You are Painting this a green? Then you have to ask you're self if you want it to look light or dark. Light would be white primmer. Dark would be black. light gray would be a medium tone. If you don't know then go gray primmer. Rust-oleum Painter's Touch also make allot of colors of regular paint. so would be a good choice over all. I hope this helped, if not send me a msg. and I can break it down a little more for you (I guess 4 years of art did pay off )

OK primmer, any gen. purpose primmer will work it more of a texture/bonding aspect. 3M make some nice stuff and of course Rust-oleum Painter's Touch is is always high on the list. The higher quality paint is smoother with less clumps. Next part. You are Painting this a green? Then you have to ask you're self if you want it to look light or dark. Light would be white primmer. Dark would be black. light gray would be a medium tone. If you don't know then go gray primmer. Rust-oleum Painter's Touch also make allot of colors of regular paint. so would be a good choice over all. I hope this helped, if not send me a msg. and I can break it down a little more for you (I guess 4 years of art did pay off )

Thanks a ton, Thorn! I think I'll be going with the dark tone, indeed. Thanks, again!

Looks Good!:D

Thanks! :)

---------
Update
---------
For some reason, I have not been so motivated to do pep work, so I might take a few days off from that and work on the helmet. Maybe I've just been over working myself with the pep work.
So, with that being said, I won't have too many updates this week, depending on if my mind shifts gears. If I post any updates, it shall be on the helmet. I'm getting really eager to work on it, so to heck with the weather! I have a lot of dremel work to do.
I took this screenshot a couple months ago on Orbital on the "Screenshot Room" map. I found it to be pretty useful when it came to the upper body stuff. A lot of people seem to use a smaller hand plate. Is that because that assumption has just carried on or is it because the hand plate can rub against the forearm? I guess I'll find out, considering I went with the hand plate size in the picture.

halo3_120486966_Full.jpg

I put a lot of effort into getting that Recon. People always ask me "you have Recon, why don't you wear it?" For one, if you go full out Recon on Halo 3, some people just think you're a douchebag, while others think it's intimidating. I, on the other hand, believe that all Mark VI (or with the Recon chest) looks intimidating. I also only use one solid color...
I tend to play a lot of MLG, so it's not smart to use anything that's too bulky, as that just makes you an easier target.
Halo 3 may be dead to a lot of people, but Halo Reach is dead to me.

Oh yeah, so I'm thinking about doing a Recon chest just for the heck of it. That'll be after I finish up this suit, though.

Oh man! your work is shnazzy! you do very good bondo work on your helmet. and i think everybody goes into a pepakura slump. i actually just got out of one and my printer's broken lol. but you will be back into the game soon. bondo is fun, but sometimes you have to transition back and fourth between the two. I'm ready to see your helmet progress! show us some more magic.

it kicks azz
mkgb.gif

Haha, thanks! I got a kick out of that!

Oh man! your work is shnazzy! you do very good bondo work on your helmet. and i think everybody goes into a pepakura slump. i actually just got out of one and my printer's broken lol. but you will be back into the game soon. bondo is fun, but sometimes you have to transition back and fourth between the two. I'm ready to see your helmet progress! show us some more magic.

Phew! Good to know that I'm not going crazy.
Thanks! I'll get some pictures up tomorrow!

DANG!!! amazing work, keep up the fantastic work =D

Thanks, again, Road Kill!

Update:
I worked for quite awhile on the helmet today! I dremeled all the little excess fiberglass strip pieces on the inside, made the opening of the helmet nice and smooth, and started working my way up from there. I cut off the neck and those side things on the opening of the helmet, you Mark VI makers know what I mean. I will substitute the neck piece and the little side things that go up into the helmet with foam sheeting that I will lightly coat with resin. That should make it more comfortable. The resin will be to protect the foam from getting too worn out.

Pictures tomorrow!

Thank you everyone! Your encouragement keeps me going!

So here are those pictures I said I'd put up:

photo-44.jpg

Just doing some basic sanding. I'll use some spot putty to fill in some of the problems tomorrow.
Haven't dremelled out those indent things towards the front, yet.

photo-48.jpg

Sooo slowww....

photo-49.jpg

^^^ There's my problem. If you see, the helmet seems to be kind of crooked...
I'm going to try my best to fix it with a lot of elbow grease and bondo. It's not a huge problem, as it's just the bottom of the helmet, but I'm a perfectionist, so I've got to try my best.
But hey, look on the bright side, nice clean cut edges!

photo-49-1.jpg

Lousy job in MS Paint - just to get an idea of how it'll look fixed.

This helmet seems like such an impossible task, but I must go on. Hard work pays off in the end.

Sorry it doesn't look like a huge difference, but I do feel I've made a lot improvement on it. Pictures aren't really the best at capturing things sometimes.
I swear it'll look super ghetto.

That's it for now - hopefully I'll have a lot more done tomorrow.

It looks good Abby, Just keep giving it love and it will turn out great. Sometimes when you use the mouse sander it tends to give parts rounded edges because the sanding pad has a cushion. So, I like to use popsicle sticks and paint mixing sticks wrapped in sand paper to get my hard lines back in. I also use a wood carving kit (From Michaels around 8 to 9 Dollars) to get into the recessed and tiny edges along with needle files (From Home Depot around 8 to 9 Dollars) to tighten it up. Anyways, its looking good.

P.S. I'm a big fan of epoxy clay or epoxy putties, this may be a nice alternative to using bondo when you try and fix the underside of the helmet. I like the epoxy based stuff because it sets up harder than the bondo and doesn't really chip or break off. Bondo tends to be brittle.

Don't worry about it, Abby, A little crookedness (That's a word, right? lol) Won't kill ya! But so far it's looking great :D

Well Abby, congrats on reaching 20 pages of comments! This build has looked great from the start! Keep up the awesome work!

That looks very nice! But i see you are bondoing the whole helmet and then sanding. I am only bondoing one part at a time, and then sanding it until it looks good enough to move on. It doesn't really matter, but my point was: only work on one section of your helmet at a time, and it won't seem overwhelming when you go to work on it because you won't be thinking, "where do i start?" You may be already doing this, but just some advice. and i wouldn't worry about the crookedness. my eod is slightly crooked too, but it's hard to notice. Keep us up to date! I am a big fan of you and your work!

That looks very nice! But i see you are bondoing the whole helmet and then sanding. I am only bondoing one part at a time, and then sanding it until it looks good enough to move on. It doesn't really matter, but my point was: only work on one section of your helmet at a time, and it won't seem overwhelming when you go to work on it because you think, "where do i start."

This is a really good point. Also, you can tape off too. Great suggestion sk8almostbay!

Thank you everyone!
Thanks for the tips, Blackula and sk8almostbay! I shall use them to my advantage :)
I kind of got really anxious, I suppose, so that explains why I just put all the bondo on all at once.
I'm hoping to work on the helm tomorrow, considering Black Ops occupied me for tonight.
I may start pepping again soon, but we'll see.
Lata!

DANG!!!! looks fantastic!!! =D it is coming along very nicely keep up the great work =D
i didn't know that you already bondoed the chest, cod, thighs, shins, and boots =P weel great job and keep up the great work =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back