Just Another Armor Newbie? Mjolnir Mk VI (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys really this the title isnt NAG A NEW COMER TO DEATH ABOUT HEALTH REGULATIONS its to support a build, can we get back on track...

this is looking great i hope you complete it in a timely fashion :)

also dont worry, Im one of the few who doesnt use a respirator but takes every other precaution.-however if I do croak from it at least you will have time to change your ways- LOL

guys really this the title isnt NAG A NEW COMER TO DEATH ABOUT HEALTH REGULATIONS its to support a build, can we get back on track...

this is looking great i hope you complete it in a timely fashion :)

also dont worry, Im one of the few who doesnt use a respirator but takes every other precaution.-however if I do croak from it at least you will have time to change your ways- LOL

i'm pretty sure we're all here to support the build, but i think we can all agree that her health is wayyy more important than finishing the costume. Yeah you may feel ok now, but in the long run the fumes from fiberglass resin can be very damaging. think about all those people who suffer from mesothelioma from asbestos. i'm sure they didn't think it was that bad then...but they are definitely paying for it now and not just out of they pocket they're paying with their lives. i think a respirator even if you are applying fiberglass resin outside is a must! abby i know you don't want to spend the extra on a respirator but you really should. like omega said even though you're outside you're going to be applying multiple times and with multiple pieces as well. That excessive amount of inhalation through the particle mask (which offers no protection against organic fumes) is not good for you and is already known to cause some serious complications (hence the warning signs on the back of the canister). i know we sound repetitive but again, we are just looking out for you. all that aside, you are doing an excellent job on your build! keep up the good work and feel free to ask questions if you need help with anything. especially if you're unsure about safety equipment! :)

Hahaha, alright, guys! You've convinced me. I'll go pick one up ASAP :) Thanks for all the support!
By the way, I've been working on the fiberglass strip stuff inside the helmet now, is there ANY possible way to make this easier? The strips get stuck on my gloves and then to the brush and oohhhhhhh, the shenanigans! It's annoying.
Sooo, any tips or ways to make this less annoying?

And on the topic of the color scheme, I'm thinking of just going with the traditional chief. Very intimidating when you walk into Walmart or Gamestop, I'm assuming... that's what's on my agenda for this summer. ;)

And on the topic of respirators, any suggestions? I was looking up some to get an idea on what I should get. Do all organic respirators protect against resin or what?

helmets are lookin good! check out where ever you picked up the resin for a respirator, almost always right by or around it. Are both you and your boyfriend going to be chief? or are yall going to change colors on one of em?

I have a solution to all your problems; forget the fiberglass strips, throw away the respirator, take off your clothes, and... do the rest of your build in foam!
Seriously though, as long as the respirator is organic you are protected from resin, if you can smell it you are not protected. And your pep job is amazing, OCD all the way!

for the fiber glass strips im assuming you are using the mesh not the cloth. umm... try laytex gloves the kind that snap to your hand it doesnt prevent it but it does help. and as for brushes. harbor freight has some acid free brushes in a bulk pack they are easy throwaways.

Dont get to frustrated, you are doing great so far.

you just need to make sure your using enough resin with the fiberglass and i try not to pull the glass strips across my pieces but dab the brush on as much as i can good luck hope that helps

Thanks a ton for the help and compliments, guys! I picked up a respirator at Home Depot. I think this is the coolest thing ever. I feel like such a boss. Safe from all those delicious organic vapors, so I'm good to go!
How often do the cartridges have to be replaced, anyway?
photo.jpg

...yeah, think of how cool I'd look going snowboarding with this thing on. Hahahaha.

I should be done with all this resin shenanigan stuff on Friday or Saturday! Then I shall move on to the almighty bondo :)

How often do the cartridges have to be replaced, anyway?

It should say in the manual for it somewhere, I believe mine said to replace them every 40 hours of use. Since I'm not keeping count, I plan on replacing them once I start smelling fumes even with it on.

And either you work fast, or I'm just taking it slow, but finishing all the resin work by this weekend seems like speedy progress!

It should say in the manual for it somewhere, I believe mine said to replace them every 40 hours of use. Since I'm not keeping count, I plan on replacing them once I start smelling fumes even with it on.

And either you work fast, or I'm just taking it slow, but finishing all the resin work by this weekend seems like speedy progress!

Sounds good! And yeah, I like to put in a lot of work with the free time I get. I guess it's just different for every person! I've been giving up sweet sweet Xbox time for this. Hahaha. That kind of makes me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back