Just another Noob-WIP (MarkVI High-Def)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evin

Hi everyone!

I recently found this nice forum after I was looking how I can help my wife with her cosplay. :) After reading a lot of tutorials to get a general idea how this whole thing works I was completely overwhelmed was some of you achieved.

After this sincere amount of AWESOME I tried it for myself and I'm still impressed how pepping helps my to clear my mind and forget the whole job/stress-********...

Since I'm not sure if I can create something really astounding I try to focus my WIP on "alternate" methods... Since I'm not able to work outside, the whole armor will be built in the apartment. This means for example, I can't use all those high-toxic-stuff like Bondo.

The first compromise (kind of) I had to take is SmoothCast.
I use it instead of resin. I know, it isn't completely non-toxic, but it is WAY harmless than resin & co. After thinking about, I decided that it is "apartment safe" when used with a respirator.

Anyways, now some pics of the current status of my project:
(BTW: If you click on the pics you can watch them in fullsize. I try to keep the filesize for the "thumbnails" below 100kb the fullsizepics below 1000kb; for loading times sake)

As you can clearly see, my first try with SmoothCast ended up with some problems. It is very, very thin and poured out of some holes. But I guess it will be all covered up when I'm detailing the outside. Some greater mistakes are already gone through sanding. :)

The inside of the helmet after the second coating SmoothCast. It's already pretty solid. I will try some methods to make it "rock solid".

One idea is polymer-plaster and fiberglass, similar to resin and fiberglass.
Another idea is to mix SmoothCast with 0,2mm fiberglass (grinded fiberglass).

We will see which method works better...

PS:
One thing I want to add: I'm no native speaker. So please pardon some mistakes or "funny" expressions. My German is much better. :p

Guten tag! (Some of the German I know). Great build so far! I'm interested in how the poly-glass is going to turn out, so I'm keeping my eye on this one. Welcome to the 405th, and happy building! :)

The first compromise (kind of) I had to take is SmoothCast.
I use it instead of resin. I know, it isn't completely non-toxic, but it is WAY harmless than resin & co. After thinking about, I decided that it is "apartment safe" when used with a respirator.

We've already been over that in the German members thread, but I'd like to point out again that this is not true, no matter how firmly you want to believe it.

If you want to work inside your home, try to get your hands on some Acrystal Prima, that's an acrylic resin, just like Aqua-Resin, and non-toxic. Otherwise, if you really do feel like you have to mess with the toxic stuff inside your apartment, at least use something you can smell.

@Venture:
I considered your postings in the German members thread and use a respirator. Even if I'm using it inside the apartment, I'm using it in a well ventilated area and proper safety-clothing. With those precautions, I really don't see any problems. But thanks a lot for the Acrystal Prima. It looks promising and almost perfect (and cheaper than SmoothCast)

Nice work! And yes, most smooth cast products are way less toxic than fiberglass resin, even in their demonstration videos they are shown inside without a respirator. And you are correct by still wearing a respirator. Good luck on the project, cant wait to see it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back