Just finished assembling X-Wing Pilot Helmet (pepakura) - best way to reinforce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbaker176

Hello!

I've just finished glueing and assembling the helmet. It took a lot of time so I wanted to double check on the best method to reinforce it before going ahead and doing it (and potentially ruining it).

Should I reinforce the inside first? There's a few tiny open gaps, I should cover those with more paper first?

I was thinking of paper mache'ing it on the inside and then on the outside. Would this give it enough strength? After that I was going to apply something to smooth it out, maybe plaster?

I'd prefer to avoid the fibreglass bondo method if possible, but I don't see too many people write about using paper mache, is there a downside to it?

Thanks for any help!
Sam

A picture would help ppl give advice.

paper mâché may lack the strenth needed to work on the outside and get a good finish. Polyester resin is a bit of a pain to work with but it really is the best stuff to use to strengthen pep work.
there is a resin, I think it's called aqua resin theat doesn't smell so you can use it in doors but iv not used it my self

paper mâché may lack the strenth needed to work on the outside and get a good finish. Polyester resin is a bit of a pain to work with but it really is the best stuff to use to strengthen pep work.
there is a resin, I think it's called aqua resin theat doesn't smell so you can use it in doors but iv not used it my self

Is it still worth paper mache'ing the inside?

What is the order that you'd do things?
Is it:
1) assemble and glue pieces of paper
2) paper mache inside
3) apply resin (polyester/aqua resin) to the outside
3) ???

Here are some images of the helmet as requested:

helmet.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 555
Wow! Looks great so far!
As far as reinforcing the inside the big question would be what are you doing with the helmet?
Then what method would be best to harden based off of the use. Resin, plasticizing, or even plaster of Paris. From there you can decide what way to reinforce it.
Try these Tutorials
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=1572
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=30783
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=9691

Thanks!

Well it will be worn twice, and then the rest of the time just on display. Is it possible to create a thick layer of paper mache and that be alright? Combination of newspaper and printing paper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back