Just wanted to say hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScenArms

First off.... you guys are awesome.

For the past 4 years I have had my own business where I had been creating custom paintball gun kits. Everything was made/modded by hand, just me, some plastic, and a dremmel for hours at a time. Then.... I found the beautiful joy that is... "smooth on plastic products" :)

Unfortunately things slowed down, I couldn't keep up with demand, and had to close my doors pretty much till I could get caught up on outstanding orders. Things got crazy stressfull.... and then I found the 405th.

I have never played any version of halo other than the original, which I spent weeks upon weeks playing when it first came out on xbox. I have never seen any other version. And then I saw a picture of an ODST trooper 2 weeks ago... and holy hell it's beautiful.

In the past week I heard of this cool build process called "pepakura", downloaded the armor packs from "heavy gunner" that I found on your forums... and have started making my own set of odst armor :)

I'm still working on outstanding orders... but when I start to get stressed out, I just go get the scissors, take an hour break... and start cutting and taping to relax.

I can't afford fiberglass yet, or even cardstock (every penny has to go to filling old orders), so I'm having to use regular flimsy printing paper. But I have a CRAPLOAD of smooth on plastic resins, polymers, silicon's, etc... so I'm slowly just brushing on one thin little layer of plastic at a time and bulding it up over time... cause I have alot of time heh.

My main goal is to make a full odst suit, and make it completely and utterly usable for paintball games. I'm going to be having a layer or two of fiberglass on the front... but will be building up the back of each piece with about 1/4" of 'task 15' plastic. I have to be able to run, jump, dive, crawl, and slam into the side of buildings with this suit... and also it has to be able to take full auto from a paintball marker shooting at 20 balls per second from a few feet awa. So as you can imagine... a 1/4" thick coat of task 15 is going to be required for each part.

Onyx won't work, it's too brittle, neither will any of the other 'task' series (I've tried them all for high impact applications, they shatter when they are in mildly thin areas and take a hit). It has to be 15. it's the only plastic that they make that has a good mix of rigidity and has a slight flex to it.

I knowI'm rambling on a bit.... so I'll bring this to a close and just say thank you very much to all of you for this wonderful community that you have all built, and for helping me to found a constructive outlet for stress... that helps me enbrace my inner geek :)

Btw.... is there a particular area of the forums to look in, to see if there are any local 405th costuming groups nearby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back