JUSTINIAN 117's MARK V BUILD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUSTINIAN 117

This is my build thread for my Mark V suit from Halo 1.

I have been working on Halo props for the past 7 years, and up until the last month or so I had no clue any place like this existed. I would occasionally look for other things that people have made, but this place is great.

I originally started making everything out of card board, but now I use plastic and bondo. I don't really know what category my technique would fall under, I look at pictures, and I build it from scratch without molds or 3d models.

I just recently finished the top half of Halo 1 Master Chief for the Halo Reach release. This is the only picture I have of it now, but I will post more soon.

masterchief.jpg

Right now I only have a few pictures of the in progress, but I will post some better ones later.
Helmet:
101_3434.jpg

101_3435.jpg

101_3436.jpg

101_3437.jpg

Belt front:
101_3440.jpg

Belt Back:
101_3439.jpg

Back in 2004 I originally made the suite out of cardboard, and it came out pretty good.
Halo 3 release 2007:
masterchiefold.jpg

I decided to remake it out of plastic and bondo, so that it would look better. I am the manager of a sign business, so I pretty much have unlimited resources to get anything I need. My method was to find as many good angles of the suit, and basically build it by eye. I did a lot of the work on the computer, and cut most of the plastic with a laser at work. I would then route the edges at an angle so that they would fit together properly. In a nutshell I hand made pepakura files, and made it out of plastic instead of paper. Then I would bondo and sand it untill it was perfect. Then I used auto paint for the right finish.

Here are some of the final pictures:
100_1011.jpg

100_1012.jpg

100_1013.jpg

100_1014.jpg

100_1015.jpg

100_1020.jpg

100_1022.jpg

100_1024.jpg

100_1025.jpg

100_1026.jpg

OoOoOo it looks so...shiny! I'm lovin it! (ba da ba ba bah lol jk) it looks so nice and clean and smooth and crisp! Awesome job!

Wow that looks so good! You found like, the perfect green!!

I have been loking for that color for the past 6 years, whenever I was near spray paint. I finally decided that I was never going to find the right shade of green and have it be metalic, so I went to an auto paint store, and had a custom color made. It was about $30 for a quart, but it was well worth it. Then I used an auto clear coat over it, to make it shiney, and a satin clear coat over the black parts.

I have to say, the helmet is a bit symmetrical but the chest piece is actually pretty awesome.
I spent about 6 hours trying to tweak the chest, to get it to look perfect, and I am pretty pleased with it.

Unfortunatly I didn't take many progress pictures, I was too busy trying to meet the Reach deadline. I only had 2 and a half weeks. I still have some more parts to build, and I will get more in depth pictures then.
I can tell you that almost all of it was mad from different types of flat plastic, that was cut by laser, and then bent at certain angles, and glued together, and then bondo for smoothing and support.

101_3439.jpg

If you look closely at this picture you can see that it was made from 3 pieces of plastic. The black piece was cut out, and then 2 bends were put on it. The blue part was 2 pieces that had some detail cut into them. Then it was all glued together. That was one of the more simple parts, the other parts are much more complicated, but the same idea.

Awesome work! Especially when you did it with only reference pictures. Very outstanding!

Welcome to the 405th!

Cheers!

i hope my MKV suit turns out thet good fingers crossed it wont suck

As long as you take your time and put your best effort into it, it will come out fine. And at the end of the day it doesn't matter if it isn't perfect, just as long as you are happy with it. If there is a part that you are not happy with, work on it untill you are. I have been working on this particular suit since 2004, so I have had plenty of time to redo things. My first draft was cardboard, and I have been remaking it little by little. I have redone the helmet twice, before I was completely happy with it. Now that I have joined this forum, I am inspired to finish it right away.

As long as you take your time and put your best effort into it, it will come out fine. And at the end of the day it doesn't matter if it isn't perfect, just as long as you are happy with it. If there is a part that you are not happy with, work on it untill you are. I have been working on this particular suit since 2004, so I have had plenty of time to redo things. My first draft was cardboard, and I have been remaking it little by little. I have redone the helmet twice, before I was completely happy with it. Now that I have joined this forum, I am inspired to finish it right away.
what happened to the first draft

It was made out of card board and didn't have any detail. It was a big help for building the new one, because I already had some of the sizes right, and I made notes on what to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back