Kat Foam build! (My first! D=) [WIP] (56k Warning, SCREEN STRETCH!... PIC HEAVY OMG!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking for almost a while now and now I've decided to try my hand at one. My original goal was to try to finish this for Halloween, but since time went on and on, I soon realized that I might not be able to do so (midterms suck balls). =< My goal is to finish this in time for a smaller anime convention during the winter (Ai-Kon Winterfest, if I recall for anyone who lives in Winnipeg. =P).

So, a WIP thread isn't complete with pictures!

Kat Helm Pepakura test: (Using Rhinoc's Kat Helmet file)

1318567470169.jpg

1318567731933.jpg

So first of all, I decided to make a test fit for the helmet using mulitpurpose paper and... Tape. (This is why it's so warped! =( ) I guess you're all wondering why I did so and left it mostly incomplete. I want to make this helmet out of foam (due to me = cheap, like non-toxic stuff, no room, etc.), so I was planning to use the pieces I cut out and put them on foam. As I continued to build on it, I realized that it would actually be easier for me to modify the actual file I used, make it foam friendly while it has the scale I used! =o My biggest question here is, did I do the scaling right? I added another inch to my initial measurement because I'm working with foam (I think so... I worked on this for about a month, (I felt like I wasted a month, but the plus side is I know if helmet would fit and I had pepping practice =D) so I don't exactly remember, but I'm pretty sure I did.) With that in mind, I'm currently modifying the file to make it foam friendly (set it at 120 degrees and merging about alot of the faces together so I can reduce the amount of pieces I need to cut. Most of this is based on some reference pictures I'm using). This is all because I didn't want this to happen to me while working on it:

1318568866106.jpg

(My forearm piece is about an inch TOO long for me! =<) Anyway, after looking for a bit, I'm going to use a different file than what I originally used (I think I originally used Ruze789's forearm modified for girls by HaloGoddess, and now I'm planning to use ForgedReclaimer's female forearms). Yes, I know, it's warped because I overused the hot glue gun for this.

Anyway, with time running short, I figured it would be time for me to start on foam:

1318567834508.jpg

This is my first small foam piece. It's the handplates! D= Obviously not finished yet. I decided to start small, after all. The extended parts are for the folded pieces for the edges of the pepakura file, but I cut those off when I sliced for the actual handplate. I'm not sure if I should remove them or not because I feared it would be too big with that on. It looks a bit dinky and I might need the extension pieces... x=

Oh and I'm using a hot knife to cut my pieces and a rotary tool to sand the edges to make my mountain/valley cuts.

Erp, I forgot to rotate the pictures, so I apologize in advance for any strained necks!

No offense, but I was wondering why most of the title of your thread is regarding the insane pic intensity of your post, but all I see are 4 small photos? And is anyone actually still on a 56K connection anymore? I was under the impression that the whole "PIC HEAVY" warnings was before broadband internet really existed...:confused

I don't know, it was quite a habit of mine when I started posting on forums. D;

Oh, photobucket resized them. I guess that's a plus! (And usually, when you take pictures on a camera and upload it, it's super humungous. I guess it's not the case for my Android. D:)

On topic, I'm still working on the handplate, but studying is a first priority for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back