Kat Shoulder: Casting From Pepakura Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyGunner

After some down time on the site, I've started up on a project that I'm hoping will be beneficial to anyone interested in Kat, the female member of Noble team. This is my Wip Kat shoulder attachment. This attachment is also known to be the "Mk V" multiplayer shoulder pauldron of the Reach period.

Using a method demonstrated by other members, I made a cast of a Pepakura file by pouring resin into a pepped piece. After curing, I stripped off the excess resin and paper with a dremel, and began sanding and smoothing the cast. I did run into a few roadblocks, as the cast wasn't quite thick enough on bottom, and there were a couple of spots where I cut too deep with the dremel. But I am planning to fix these spots, and have already started using glazing putty. I'm also going to add extra thickness to the bottom of the cast using clay. As of today, I've ordered my dragon skin and clay, and will hopefully start smoothing and molding soon.

Here's a video of me describing the pre-casting. It's kinda boring :pWhen I realized my videos were way too long, I decided to cancel the uploads, so this is the only one of two I'll post here.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOZjNzOlGCM[/media]

And here's some pics of the current state.

2010-04-26182403.jpg

2010-04-26182551.jpg

2010-04-26182602.jpg

Let me know what you think! And also, I'm quickly realizing how much it's gonna cost to do a run of these things. If you would be interested in a set, or even just one, be sure to let me know so I can get a good idea of how much smoothcast I'll need to buy.

Its funny, I think most people fail to recognize just how expensive it is to do castings, and then balk at the price. If only they knew right!! I would probably take one off of yours hands if you did a run.

Houston we have a mold!

2010-05-04210732.jpg

2010-05-04210746.jpg

2010-05-04210805.jpg

Last night I put the finishing touches on my mold box, and proceeded to pour and mold my Kat shoulder with Dragon Skin. It came out great! The trial size was roughly just enough to cover the shoulder. There was a slight bulge on the top of the mold (what would be the bottom in these pics) so I'm planning on compensating for this while casting by using a foam spacer to get a level surface on the base of the mold. I decided not to make a mother mold because casting will be simply pouring in and let dry. Hope you guys enjoy! If you're interested in a set, please let me know. I'm planning on doing a run soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back