Kaz's ODST Build (Hybrid EVA and 3D Print)

Kazick

New Member
So newby here but I've gotten started on my ODST build. The plan is to work from the head down with a mix of 3D printed components, and EVA foam after getting some input from you guys here in another post. I have a friend who is taking provide files here on the 405th and ether running them through a slicer to 3D print, or other programs to make templates to foam craft.

We started with the helmet and decided to do it as a 3D print. After some turning and slicing, we found a way to reduce the supports needed as well as print the full helmet as one print. We started with a fresh roll of white PLA and got to work.

image4.jpg


This was going fine until the printer broke. Lucky for us, the printer recognized it and an error and did a safety stop. The thermal sensor on the print bed died and triggered a safety stop to prevent a fire. But luckily my friend was able to find where the printer stopped, and after a quick repair get the print started where it left off. This does mean that the helm is in two parts.

image3.jpg


This is the end result, with most of the supports still in place and a lot of clean up still to do. We both took a part and started to break off supports and clean up the prints.

image1.jpg
image0.jpg
image5.jpg
image6.jpg


After a few hours of clean up we noticed a happy accident. When the print was restarted, the second half was started a few steps back. So there is some overlap. This means I need to trim 1mm of material off the top half to get everything to line up right.

Next steps for the helmet:
1. More clean up and trimming
2. Bondo to fill some of the gaps and smooth out a few imperfections
3. Primer and paint
4. Foam inserts, strap, and fan
5. Visor. (We might make a vacuform machine for this, or I might try to source one from here. Don't know yet)

Pros so far. There is a level of detail that I just don't think I could have achieved with foam. Its also very lite. I ride motorcycle and my motorcycle helmet is heavier than this.

Cons. It took 10 days to print. It was an estimated 8 days, but the printer down time added to that. It was also a bit nerve racking knowing that it could fail. It did also take about 65% of a full roll of PLA.

The next big steps, things that will get worked on in a few weeks when life stops kicking my butt, print out paper templates for the main chest carrier so that can be made out of foam. While also printing the main large "trauma" chest plate on the 3D printer. I plan to have different elements of this going on at once, so while paint is drying we can work on foam. Or while DAP is curing on foam get paint on other parts done.

I'm supper stoked to not only be working on this but to have friends giving me a helping hand with this.
 

Sean Anwalt

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
That's looking good so far, dude. I'm always jealous of 3D print builds. Keep us posted!
 

HATE Recon

Member
Basically the same idea as my costume, part 3D Printed and part EVA. That helmet looks good so far, keep up the good work!
 

Kazick

New Member
Thanks guys!

Minor update time since life threw me a curve ball at the end of January.

image8.jpg

Got the top have lightly glued in place with some tacky glue until I can get the seam better sanded so things line up. I also started test fitting some foam to at least make it some what wearable. Defiantly going to do something better with how it sits on my head.

image9.jpg

I have to do some bondo work on the very top. This was the bottom of the print and it didn't turn out how we wanted. But noting some bondo cant fix.

image10.jpg

Used some double sided tape to start test fitting some of the electronics. I'd like to mount a two way radio and a fan or two inside. The print has a lot of room for some of the things on the sides so I don't think that will be much of an issue.


As for life. Long story short, roommates got a divorce. Got to find a new place in town to live. I'll be staying with my GF and friend who helped print this. So at the end of March I should be back on track to keep building.
 

Dan99

New Member
What 3d files did you use for the print? I just finished a ODST suit of my own but the helmet designs look a bit different. Looks great!
 

Kazick

New Member
So little update after spending most of my day off working on the helm. I used Bondo, Filler Primer, 80 and 100 grit sand paper. It took a few layers of primer and Bondo to get this far. But it was such a nice day out that I couldn't help but stay out on the patio all day and work on this.
image13.jpg
image15.jpg


As you can see in the next photo, I was able to fill in the holes from then we 3D printed this. The top of the helm was the base of the print.
image14.jpg


Smells like progress.
image12.jpg


This is where I stopped for now. Going to sand it again once this coat of primer is dry and give it at least one more coat of filler primer before I address the few little spots left.
image11.jpg
 

Kazick

New Member
Progress!

FEE18AE6-4E11-470B-92D2-E632D6691968.jpeg
E7D2BC5D-F73B-40B3-BACC-F5B627D85736.jpeg
5F2DC670-8209-43E7-9006-D80BFC199E2F.jpeg
14D44607-25E9-4124-9FEC-1135D76B5210.jpeg

4856FFEE-0A23-433D-AA1C-207018A3DCF9.jpeg


So I thought about using foam to build up the inside. But then I thought about my full face helmet I wear when riding motorcycle and thought how warm that gets here in the Las Vegas summers. So I’m trying out using a hard hat suspension. The idea being that it would allow more airflow and less insulation than foam. It fits nicely. I’ll need to add some foam to snug up a few things and possibly a chin strap. As well as make a few adjustments. If I find that it’s not working as intended I’ll switch to a foam insert.

But now onto detail painting. Then weathering. Then figure out a fan and some other electronics. And then I have to sort out how to do the visor.

But maybe tomorrow night I’ll get started on the chest in EVA foam.
 
Top