Kelly-087 Foam Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brynna

Hi 405th!

I've been a long time anonymous lurker who finally decided to join in. I’ve decided to make Kelly-087’s armor as depicted in the Forward Unto Dawn series. Ever since reading all the halo books, Kelly’s been my favorite Spartan (aside from John of course).

As far as I can tell, Kelly’s armor is the armor used during the Deliver Hope trailer for Halo Reach, with a few tweaks and painted differently. Due to lack of reference shots, and my own personal preferences on some things, not everything will be 100% accurate, but I’ll do the best I can.

For anyone unfamiliar, this is the armor I’m after:
KellyFUD_zps4ec841cd.jpg

Here is what I’ve accomplished thus far.

DSC_0238_zpsfeff0331.jpg

As far as I can tell, the stomach plate thing is kind of like a wonky odst ab plate... so I made a spartan/odst mutant and I'm pretty happy with it.

I was also playing around with some scraps from an old leather coat and came up with this… thing. Possibly part of a future undersuit?

DSC_0231_zps5b52d3f2.jpg

More to come :D

Nice work so far! The amount of detail on the chest piece is amazing and I like how the under suit is coming along.

Looks like you've taken a lot of inspiration from LilTyrant's build, and I don't blame you!
Watching this - expecting awesome.

Also, are you going with the FUD helmet, or the Legends EVA?
For the FUD one - you'll need to make an extra knee piece (FJ/PARA) to cover the mouth
Source: 405th FB page
197357_509939005690685_734206752_n.jpg

p.s. - The ab plate is the ODST centre equipment plate, but upsidedown...

CJ

Good start already. Can't wait to see more. Definately gonna turn out to be elite status

Really great start so far :) Ill be watching... but not in a creepy kinda way, more of an awe inspired way lol

Okay I can see an Elite status coming on with this one!

You’re too kind. But thank you!

Nice work so far! The amount of detail on the chest piece is amazing and I like how the under suit is coming along.

Thanks! After a long time creeping other’s builds I’ve learned that all the little details make so much difference in how the overall build turns out.

Awesome start and yes please on the undersuit. A good undersuit adds so much to the overall look. :)

Top notch start, I say.

Thanks. I really really want to do the undersuit, but my sewing skills are only so/so. But I think I’ll give it a whack anyway. Worst that happens is I waste some time or sew through my fingers :-b

This is looking great! I can't wait to see more! Like Jetship said, I love the detail! Keep it up! :D

Thank you kindly.

Wow, your torso piece looks great, how long did it take?

The front took about 3 hours to get to that point. This will defiantly be a labor of love.

This looks really great! Looking forward to the finished product.

Thanks! Me too.

Looks like you've taken a lot of inspiration from LilTyrant's build, and I don't blame you!
Watching this - expecting awesome.

Also, are you going with the FUD helmet, or the Legends EVA?
For the FUD one - you'll need to make an extra knee piece (FJ/PARA) to cover the mouth
Source: 405th FB page
197357_509939005690685_734206752_n.jpg

p.s. - The ab plate is the ODST centre equipment plate, but upsidedown...

CJ

I’m absolutely referencing LilTyrant’s build. Hers is phenomenal. I can only hope mine will be anywhere near half as good.

I think I’m going to go with the FUD helmet. I knew there was something a little different about it. A kneecap. What will they come up with next? (woot skyrim/halo meme!)

Thank you so much! Now that I know it is a legit ODST plate I have to decide do I keep my mutant, or build a new one. Hmmm. Decisions decisions.

Good start already. Can't wait to see more. Definately gonna turn out to be elite status

Thanks very much.

Amazing start! Subscribed already, can see this is going to be awesome :)

Thanks! I appreciate the support.

Really great start so far :) Ill be watching... but not in a creepy kinda way, more of an awe inspired way lol

Thanks! I hope I will continue to inspire.

Looking awesome so far, I'm gonna be watching this as Kelly is one of my favourite Spartans :D

Kelly FTW! Thanks :D

So I’ve just about finished off the front of my torso. Now it’s time to start on the back

Here’s a picture of the progress thus far :)

DSC_0242.jpg

First I would like to say that the build so far is looking great. Your foam technique is quite clean and sharp. I anticipate stellar results from this build.

Second, I would like to comment on this pic...

KellyFUD_zps4ec841cd1.jpg

Holy crap! How long is this girls neck??! Look at where the natural position of her shoulder would be under the armor. Longest. Neck. Ever. Lol.

Hey :)
uhhh i love kelly from the forward unto down series... i also love the books ;)

Well as people mentioned i see another liltyrant comming... elite going to be for sure :p

Keep up the great progress and the clean edges !

spes 256 ( ye the disco spartan ^^)

The post about long neck Kelly had me rollin.....because it is EXACTLY what I was thinking hahaha. I think the perspective of the photo tricks the eye.....I'm sure normally Kelly's neck looks decently normal.

But on to the actual build......defnitely subscribed. Looks like its gong to be an epic build. Great progress thus far.

Here is the IMDB picture of the acress, Jenna Berman...

jenna.jpg

While she does have a somewhat long neck, it's not freakishly long or anything. I think the neck seal just accentuated it in the above picture. You also may notice that it looks like she's wearing the cod piece really low. That's most likely because it wasn't built for her in the first place. Since these were re-used from Delivering Hope, they don't fit the new actors perfectly.

@Brynna: You're doing an incredible job with this so far. I'm always amazed to see quality foam work. And you're right to point out that it looks like a "wonky ODST plate" since it is, in fact, an upside-down ODST center stomach plate. If you notice, Fred was also wearing an ODST piece for his stomach plate, an ODST butt plate.

Keep up the good work!

Second, I would like to comment on this pic...

KellyFUD_zps4ec841cd1.jpg

Holy crap! How long is this girls neck??! Look at where the natural position of her shoulder would be under the armor. Longest. Neck. Ever. Lol.

I think it's just cause she's so skinny that her shoulders are fitting through the neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back