key ring problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrAzY CH13F

het guys didn't know where to post this but i made a key ring from MDF and then i poured Pewter into it and now im stumped on how to get some MDF of it any suggestions?

(the one on the right is the pewter cast and the let is the left over MDF which i used to put together.)

222000028.jpg

I've never heard of pouring pewter directly into a MDF mold.... I don't know if there is any easy way t get it out...

Most pewter is cast into investment molds, or high temp rubber molds... I've done a few things with it... but I dunno about the MDF...

Maybe some kind of acid, or solvent will dissolve the MDF, but not the pewter?

I'm stumped..

This won't help you save the mold, but MDF will disintegrate fairly quicky with even just a water-bath. A cup of water and some work with an old stiff bristled toothbrush (and maybe careful use of a blunt pick) should take care of the MDF...

-Good Luck

im letting it soak in a bowl of water as we speak, i just tested it with a old tooth brush it hasn't done anything its sticking to the metal really tightly, i left it for an hour so far =[

Sorry - "quickly" was a relative term. It will take at least overnight if not a day or two. The MDF should start swelling and flaking off/out. If you can speed it along without damaging the pewter by drilling or otherwise gouging into the surface that would help. The more surface area that you can expose the better. I couldn't tell from the pic but are there any concave or cupped areas areas that "lock" the MDF in place?

yes some pieces of the metal are closing the MDF in, i have tried gouging at as much as i can but its starting to dent the surface of the metal so il wait for the MDF to flake if it does.

Medium Density Fiberboard - often used in speaker cabinets. It's basically a very fine version of particleboard. Sawdust and wood fillers bound with an adhesive and pressed into sheets (think fake plywood). It's great because it's flat, solid, reasonably strong, and easy to work with. The downside is water will destroy it (swells and disintegrates) if it is unsealed.

this might dammage the pewter a bit, but if you dont care about the mold... and if its made out of the same stuff as particl board... have you tried throwing it in a fire? i know its a crazy thought, but try putting it over a log in a fireplace or something(i think a heat torch would work fine) and burn the particle board stuff off it and leave the pewter.

The pewter would melt really fast, so burning it is out. My mom had a pewter candlesnuffer that I destroyed by holding it over a candle too long when I was young.

oh well that throws my idea in the trash... i dont realy know alot about pewter, but i got the idea that the wood would burn fatser than the metal for obvious resaons... sorry i was wrong, i get back to the drawing board right away...

CrAzY CH13F said:
het guys didn't know where to post this but i made a key ring from MDF and then i poured Pewter into it and now im stumped on how to get some MDF of it any suggestions?

(the one on the right is the pewter cast and the let is the left over MDF which i used to put together.)

222000028.jpg

Hey, neat, someone's doing casting. I've done some aluminum casting in the past..
http://flickr.com/photos/vrogy/tags/casting

Last edited by a moderator:
ok i got the MDF out i just need to sand it down abit till its smooth and the nhand it in to my design teacher so he can mark it then il paint it in my own leisure time il keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back