Knife making continues.

Sandbagger

Sr Member
Finished another Kensaki-style Yanagiba. 1075 steel, right hand chisel grind. Stabilised Birdseye Ebony and Amboyne handle. Lovely figured Cypress saya with ebony lock pin.

vQuied8.jpg

FJmSZbU.jpg

PQkpwu2.jpg

Taking on a new project to stretch myself. Japanese Katana.

qa0caxy.jpg

7jC5i0I.jpg

JK4HpbT.jpg

Sandbagger

Sr Member
Japanese Katana WIP

I am doing as much of this in traditional style, by hand and avoiding machinery where possible. After the initial round bar was belted flat with a power hammer, I stretched it out the rest of the way with the hammer on the anvil, then completely hand forged the geometries. Lots of hand filing then inventing a tool out of whatever I had available to scrape in the fuller. (NOT A BLOOD GROOVE!!)

In keeping with tradition also, I am using materials from scraps to make the fittings. Scrap copper and steel to make the tsuba, habaki, seppa, etc etc
Instead of buying mekugi pins from china, I sourced the correct bamboo, made my own and hardened them in the oven.

SR77m6g.jpg

P9REmzT.jpg

s5VHXBA.jpg

WRKLdiK.jpg

w5Mhmlm.jpg

iddWiLK.jpg

Q5sjqJZ.jpg

FIDqLoZ.jpg

KragAxe

Great work!

I just got back from Blade Show - Atlanta. I'm always surprised there aren't any nihonto guys there. I'd love to see a spread of traditionally made Japanese blades from an assortment of makers.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons: