Last minute pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissker

So.. yeah. Life kicked me.

Working on a foam version of 'reach armor' (custom parts I use on my game character)

Problem is... Time. Things came things ate it all, and now I am in a last-days-until-D-DAY crunch.

Will I get anything done?

Dunno. Just wanted some supporters for moral help. I got no team, I am alone, I am pinched on supplies (1 printer down, 1 left, maybe it has enough ink?) time and everything else.

I have barricaded myself in my room. No joke. I brought water and munchy foods and I moved half the room in front of the door. I couldn't get out quickly if I needed to. (in case of fire, there is a 2 story fall out the window to look forward to.)

I am either getting "SOMETHING" I can wear done, or am going to burn out trying. Not going for 100% accurate, not going for fully amazing. Going for "it's Halo-Ween, deal with it"

Goal. 1 suit, wearable, minus helmet (doubt I have time for Operator helm) minus gun for 31. then 6 day turn around for helmet and pistol for release day.

Failure is not an option. Sloppy is. Let's see what happens!

(pictures to be posted when breaks are taken, aka fell asleep, woke up - took pictures, here they are type thing)

Stay tuned, if you can.

(I don't expect anyone to be live on it. Live chat can be supported via Google Talk, Vent, Skype, Teamspeak or any other program you choose. Just hit me up.)

Currently in game server (ventrillo) vs400.bfgservers.com few buddies from other games there tryin to support but not being too talky. Feel free to come in and snag me away to a more lively chat.

EDIT

Passed out. Got the majority of the chest done, and part of LThigh, no replies or anything so Iama get back to it without pictures yet.
Still in Vent.

Hey Kiss, Don't get discouraged. I lost 2 weeks of precious work time due to discouragement and now I've missed my deadline. Finally got the motivation today to start the final steps of sanding and what not and just to see the few parts I finished today gave me that kick in the pants to blast ahead. No matter how small, the smallest step forward is progress. Keep Moving Forward! Hope this helps you out and I'll subscribe to follow your progress

keep it up! think of the end goal and work your butt off to get there. the end is what you work for. there may be small snags. there always are but keep your head up and focus on the glory of the end prize

thanks for the support!

I totally just realized I spent the last 10 hours on 1 foam thigh (WTF right?) so I am way stressed for time. This suit isn't going to look anywhere like imagined from day 1, but my goal now isn't to get it all 'perfect' its to get something done. I keep starting stuff and never finishing, and it's really weighing me down now.

workin on LShin now got Torso (mostly) Lthigh (minor adjustments after shin) but that's it.

I came to an odd feeling a while back... I think maybe Pepakura is hindering me, not helping me. I mean sure it's nice for the templates and stuff, but unless you plan to cut the paper and glue it then harden... it's not really helping (even then I had horrid luck, got the paper good together, hardening just seemed to hate me)

I think next project I need to do a "rough reference, my own thing" style item. Nothing "movie accurate' nothing 'game accurate' no templates, none of that, just me, some reference pictures or general sketches, and whatever materials I use (prolly foam)

Still no pictures yet, really wanna get at least the shin/knee done with the rest of the 'left side" before hand.

It's far from what I would say is "good" but I figure "hey, who else around here will have one?" not many people I know that's for sure.

Good luck it can be done and you can do it!

Just do what you think looks good and you like no pressure to make it to any other standards.

Keep it up i gave up on having mine ready by the release but keep the midnight oil burning you can hit me up on XB-live chat eastcoast time zone from 9:00pm-2:00am if you need to talk pep or whatever.

You got it man! I'm still short on time, but I know I'm gonna get it done because I'm dedicated. As long as you're dedicated and don't let anything get in your way, you'll get it done. I promised myself I wouldn't sleep if it's the night before halloween and I still wasn't finished. Not the healthy thing to do, but that's where the dedication comes in! Keep it up and don't get discouraged!

bit bummed now, get mostly through the shin to think "hey.. this looks kinda big"

Sure enough the sucker is huge.

Apparently my trusty helper who measured me, isn't so trusty.

Makes me wonder what else is off scale. This.. is a huge upset.

Measure said 20''
I scaled to 20''
I built.
I measure my ankle to knee...
18'' ankle bone to top of knee.

2'' difference on scales is.. huge.

I really don't know what to do at this point.

-------------------------------------

So doesn't look like this is gonna work out this year. Think I ama just give up on it and not stress on it.

January I will start again, maybe sooner, but January for sure. Not gonna let Next Year Slip by.

Wish everyone the best of luck, hopefully your projects will turn out well. Hope to see some pictures, thanks for the support, I do appreciate it greatly, it helped me get through to this point and would have kept me going had it not been a giant waste of template/time/foam.

Rather depressed, gonna go try to kill some ill feelings in games.

Reasons For Quitting:
Wrong measurements. Wrong printed templates.
Out of ink in Printer.
Low/nearly out on Foam.
Not enough hot glue to start over.
Not enough time.

Gonna chalk this up as a learning experience.

Again thanks for your support!

Don't worry too much - it happens.
Remember the old adage next time - measure twice, print once :D

Glad to hear you're goin to try again.

Sent from my iPhone5 using mind control!

Is it salvageable at all? Maybe some trimming/filling? Just shooting ideas at you.

But it's always ok to wait til a later date, and then have a lot longer of a time period to do it on your time. Good luck to you though!

You could always finish it and try to recoup some of your money by fleabaying it or selling it to someone here. That's what I did with my first suit of aluminum armor. I had the same problem as you. The measurements were wrong and it was way too big. Who knew that working armor with a light forge would cause a person to lose nearly 50 lbs and gain bigger muscles... Anyway, I fleabayed it and ended up getting enough to make two (so I added a shield and some more details).

the shin is too big for salvage, and since it's all scaled to it - it would be needing trims on nearly every single piece to shrink it down right. its too much width and lenght, not just height.

soo instead of finishin it, I think ill leave the frong part off, rotate it, and turn it into a shoulder part, add some details/gears/spikes to hide the "halo ness' of it and turn it into a custom suit of armor some day.

Nah I actually slept well last night with the notion of "this one failed, try again later, dont' rush it for 31 or for release day"

woke up actually feeling pretty good about that choice. Pllayin games, gettin social again and planning for a better suit.

Talkin with Evil-FX (the bioweapons.com guy) watchin him make his N7 gear for customer and learnin a bit of his secrets of how he makes it look so dam good, it's really helped.

I know how that goes...sucks that it happened. But that's good news on the sleep and peace of mind. And then it's always fun to see custom armor that you make yourself.

bit bummed now, get mostly through the shin to think "hey.. this looks kinda big"

Sure enough the sucker is huge.

Apparently my trusty helper who measured me, isn't so trusty.

Makes me wonder what else is off scale. This.. is a huge upset.

Measure said 20''
I scaled to 20''
I built.
I measure my ankle to knee...
18'' ankle bone to top of knee.

2'' difference on scales is.. huge.

I really don't know what to do at this point.

-------------------------------------

So doesn't look like this is gonna work out this year. Think I ama just give up on it and not stress on it.

January I will start again, maybe sooner, but January for sure. Not gonna let Next Year Slip by.

Wish everyone the best of luck, hopefully your projects will turn out well. Hope to see some pictures, thanks for the support, I do appreciate it greatly, it helped me get through to this point and would have kept me going had it not been a giant waste of template/time/foam.

Rather depressed, gonna go try to kill some ill feelings in games.

Reasons For Quitting:
Wrong measurements. Wrong printed templates.
Out of ink in Printer.
Low/nearly out on Foam.
Not enough hot glue to start over.
Not enough time.

Gonna chalk this up as a learning experience.

Again thanks for your support!

Instead of giving up, why don't you just change your deadline? New years party as a spartan, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back