LED Wiring Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahksi

Hey guys, so I'm working on illuminating a visor via a pre-made LED strip and "test me" button.

Here's the image:

11225685_10203797982942600_31460898_n.jpg

As seen in the picture, both strips are powered by two 9V batteries connected together with a "test me" button, powering two pre-done LED strips, it works perfect, just gotta figure out how to figure it into my visor.

I'm trying to get each 9V battery into its own ear pod, but that connecting wire isn't long enough to fish along the front. Also, both batteries won't fit in one ear pod. (I'd like to keep the test me button as a simple button push like when Cyclops does). I guess maybe, if all goes to worst, I can just use the extra wire and put the batteries inside my jacket or something, along with the button and "fake" the side visor button push. But I really would appreciate some help to figure out what I'm trying to accomplish.

Also, side question, (the visor itself is made of window tint + red transparent folder) what would be the most optimal way to direct the LEDs evenly along the visor?

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate any help!

Hey guys, so I'm working on illuminating a visor via a pre-made LED strip and "test me" button.

Here's the image:

View attachment 12101

As seen in the picture, both strips are powered by two 9V batteries connected together with a "test me" button, powering two pre-done LED strips, it works perfect, just gotta figure out how to figure it into my visor.

I'm trying to get each 9V battery into its own ear pod, but that connecting wire isn't long enough to fish along the front. Also, both batteries won't fit in one ear pod. (I'd like to keep the test me button as a simple button push like when Cyclops does). I guess maybe, if all goes to worst, I can just use the extra wire and put the batteries inside my jacket or something, along with the button and "fake" the side visor button push. But I really would appreciate some help to figure out what I'm trying to accomplish.

Also, side question, (the visor itself is made of window tint + red transparent folder) what would be the most optimal way to direct the LEDs evenly along the visor?

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate any help!

Looks like you're going to have to cut the wire connecting the two batteries together, connecting a longer section of wire to the two cut ends, and you should be good to go. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you have little to no electronics/electrical experience? If so, watch this video before you do any work to that circuit of yours:

Soldering iron tutorial:

Extending wire tutorial: http://www.ehow.com/how_7447854_extend-electrical-wire.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd advise getting hold of black natural wire, its usually pretty cheap an you don't have to worry about the colours. It can carry both + and - charges so its better for quick and easy electronics. It shouldn't need soldering either if its done right. I used it on singular led bulbs though but same basic principles

haven't used it myself yet but I found this very informative. Waiting to finish painting my build before installing the LEDS though.

Thank you everyone!

haven't used it myself yet but I found this very informative. Waiting to finish painting my build before installing the LEDS though.

Aw man, thank you so much. I did this with some wire I found around the house and it worked. Really appreciated

Thank you everyone!

Aw man, thank you so much. I did this with some wire I found around the house and it worked. Really appreciated

Hey no problem! What're we here for if not to learn from each other and share our knowledge? :]
Glad it worked out for you. I've only barely touched on this method of wiring because I wanted to focus on finishing my build before I installed mine. But it's good to know that it works!

what I ended up doing with my fallout desert ranger armor is using a double pane with the led lining the edge between the two sheets of mylar.

11146618_10203816486245171_6570622598613700478_n.jpg

Well I'm pretty pleased with the results, the thing is, now it's really heavy and I need to add an elastic strap on the back. What's the best way to adhesive the pep/fiberglass/resin to the elastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back