Legendary Edition Helmet As Template

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf84

Hey guys this is my first post here, i have seached havent found anyhting so please forgive me if im just repeating somone else's qeustion, right ive been thinking of useing my legendary edition helmet has a template kinda use it to remold a new wearable version. now this is my first endevour in this feild so any insite or sugestions are more than welcome such as what materials would be best to use would any process be better would any damage the original.

I know remolding is a taboo subject but i asure you the only reasoni would like to do this is to make a wearable version without gutting out somthing i paid 40quid for and also i like to use it as a display peice, again guys any help or suggestions would be welcome. also prob a good qeustion to ask has anyone attempted this yet?

The easiest way to do it (without making your own) would be to take a mould from your legendary edition, fill it with HydroSpan wait till the hydrospan has done its thing, then take a mould from that, then cast. For the price and hassle though you could just buy one, there are quite a few good quality plain (non perm I mean) master chief helmets around now

Remolding a direct copy of the legendary helmet would be illegal, you're reproducing a copywrited piece. Plus, remold one would cost 200-300 because the plastics and materials are expensive.

Thanks Looking at the measurments i dont think size will be a problem maybe abit snug buh no need to enlarge it, :p When makeing a cast form the legendary edition is thier anything i should do to protect the helmet somthing i should put on it or should i not worry about anything like that?

I wont be makeing a copy for resale so im pretty sure im safe on that front, i think :-s

Doesnt matter, he is using a halo 3 copywrited helmet, even if some detail was taken off, it is still the helmet it was before. You'll be ok as long as you dont start massing and selling them I guess.

Also, you dont need to put anything besides some release agent depending on how you mold it, if you use silicon, I doubt you need any release agent just because the silicon is so rubbery. But if you use plaster, you will need a release agent to make pulling the helmet and the plaster half off easier.

frost.. oh frost... you really crack me up somtimes... you say stuff that half the time is ass backwards... lol you funneh!!

AoBfrost said:
Doesnt matter, he is using a halo 3 copywrited helmet, even if some detail was taken off, it is still the helmet it was before. You'll be ok as long as you dont start massing and selling them I guess.
Would the Fair Use law apply to the Legendary Helmet? If so, then I think he can do that as long as he doesn't sell the cast.

AoBfrost said:
Also, you dont need to put anything besides some release agent depending on how you mold it, if you use silicon, I doubt you need any release agent just because the silicon is so rubbery. But if you use plaster, you will need a release agent to make pulling the helmet and the plaster half off easier.
With plaster, you need to create a mold with several parting lines, like how MLC made his helmet fiberglass mold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well look at the guy who copied direct molds of stormtrooper armor, he is in debt, poor, and very unhappy for recasting off original armor from the star wars movies. Lucas films sued the heck out of him.

Though bungie/microsoft hasnt been policing anyone yet about making MC armor, they might start soon whenever they start selling the rubies armor. Who knows.

There are 3 reasons why this is a bad idea
1 Copyright violation
2 IP violation
3 Recasting is a bad idea that gets you lots of bad karma from the prop and armor community.

Im have no intentions of makeing more than one of these, It will be put on a stand in my room with my predator mask, it will have a custom paint job after a drawing i made with a small personalised insignia reading CPT: BadWolf84 i will not be paradeing it around so please dont think i plan on bouncing around the forums shouing look at what i made. anywho thanks to all who helped :) and thanks for the concerne.

The cheapest way I can think of is using plaster to mold the helmet, but sometimes, plaster doesnt get all details and rounds them out. 90% of the time plaster will take the exact shape, but some of the small details on the helmet would need to be brushed before pouring the plaster on, pouring it on doesnt get all the detail, you brush it on, then once the inside is covered in a thin layer, just pour and glob the rest in and let it dry.

You need to do this in 2 halves or else you'll never get the legendary helmet out.

hmzzzz i think ill go for the silicon mold from what ive seen in a vid on here it seems the most straight forward(like a true noob he ses this) exspensive i expect buh ive got funds put aside for such an endevour.

Well look at the guy who copied direct molds of stormtrooper armor, he is in debt, poor, and very unhappy for recasting off original armor from the star wars movies. Lucas films sued the heck out of him.
I think you might have that story a bit mixed up.

Plaster would be a bad idea, too much detail and too many undercuts. Better to make a latex or best silicon mould and save the plaster for the jacket. You are well within your rights to take a mould off any object you own, provided its only for personal use. seriously though for the price of moulding and casting the legendary to make one copy, cant you get one of ebay to paint?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have looked but cant find anything i like, i am quite fussy. If i found one for the right price that looked almost dead on the legendary edition version id snap it up, If youve seen any feel free to point me in thier direction lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back