Lieutenant Jaku's Reach Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lieutenant Jaku

Sr Member
so as discord crew may have heard I started a reach build
I'm starting with the forearm and handplates
although I'm going to eventually redo the one handplate I have because the bevels are too rough, I'd really like this set to turn out better quality than my other suits.
KIMG3959.JPGKIMG3960.JPGKIMG3961.JPG

Lieutenant Jaku, looking good so far. Nice start.....but.....you are still not sharpening your blade enough. You can get much better edges w/ a sharper blade.
i know but
MY DREMEL BROKE AND I SUCK AT SHARPENING KNIVES
I literally spent a half-hour sharpening it and it only gave me one clean cut before starting to tear again
im gonna see what i can do when i get home.
anyway my Dremel got stuck so I cant loosen/tighten the part that holds the bit
if anyone knows how to fix this, tell me

What do you mean stuck? The bit is stuck in the holding chamber even though you loosened it? If that is the case just hit the top of the bit inward and it should free it up. It will work even if you pushed the bit in all the way (Which you shouldn't do regardless). As far as sharpening your blades...what type of sharpener are you using? I have an old (Really old) kitchen sharpener.
1576597955964.png This thing is older than I am......and yes....I am old......:cautious:....but it works like a charm. 20 passes on this will give you a clean sharp edge. 50 will make it last even longer.....but if the tip breaks....swap out the blade. Also feel along the blade edge w/ your finger nail. If you feel any nicks...keep sharpening. If that doesn't help, swap out the bade again. I can keep using the same blade for almost an entire build if I'm careful.

That sharpener is really designed for a long blade...I'm sure that someone here will disagree w/ me that this is the GREATEST sharpener out there....but you have a bit more control with a smaller sharpener. See PaiganBoi, sometimes smaller is better........just sometimes.......and as far as the Dremel goes.....try a little WD-40.

I have an old kitchen sharpener as well. Something similar to this design, it is hard for me to use and I don't know why.
View attachment 282006
About how it got stuck... well actually there's no bit in it and it's stuck loosened, but I can't tighten or loosen it. Still trying to figure out the issue.
See if you can lock the spindle and then loosen the chuck carefully with a wrench. It kind of sounds like there's something jammed in there. Take a look at the collet once it's apart and make sure there aren't any dents or misshapen parts snagging movement.

That sharpener is really designed for a long blade...I'm sure that someone here will disagree w/ me that this is the GREATEST sharpener out there....but you have a bit more control with a smaller sharpener. See PaiganBoi, sometimes smaller is better........just sometimes.......and as far as the Dremel goes.....try a little WD-40.
Maybe I'm just using the sharpener wrong. Always a possibility.
And PaiganBoi don't feel bad about dirtguys jabs. Just let them go right over your head.:p
See if you can lock the spindle and then loosen the chuck carefully with a wrench. It kind of sounds like there's something jammed in there. Take a look at the collet once it's apart and make sure there aren't any dents or misshapen parts snagging movement.
I tried loosening it with a wrench but I'll more carefully examine it when I got home this afternoon

It might be better to take the chuck off altogether. It might 1) free up any debris 2) revile any debris stuck in the chamber.

Looking good! Definitely always sharpen those knives and often. A dremel with a sanding drum will help smooth the rougher edges and then a pass with a stone bit will really help along with finishing the edges.

Looking good! Definitely always sharpen those knives and often. A dremel with a sanding drum will help smooth the rougher edges and then a pass with a stone bit will really help along with finishing the edges.
Yes it would if my dremel wasn't broken :(

Anyway i got a knife sharpener and a little present for the future (and mainly other projects).
KIMG4045.jpeg
A very large can o bondo.
(I know its blurry)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back