Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozsey

Ok, hi, I'm mozsey. I have been a member for like....a year now. I've finally decided to build my own set of armor. I am deciding to build a recon helmet with MK IV armor. My goal is to go up to bungie at PAX and beg for recon on Halo. My main question is, do I absolutely need to use bondo on the armor, or will someone on the 405th that might go to PAX come up to me and rip me a new one?

[attachment=10365:110709092834.jpg]

Any better pictures?

I admit: this is not the cleanest pep I have ever seen.

Whats with that valley in the middle? thats kinda not authentic^^

what paper did you use?

Good luck finding someone, better practice bondo yourself^^

Also: I guess its not a good idea to give bungie a helmet which is your first perfect. Bungie only wants PERFECT PERFECT helmets, if you know what I mean

Good luck anyway

I'm not going to give it to them. and i was looking at reference photo's and fixed it. It's flat now. I know it's not the cleanest. and I used cardstock, I forget the weight.

You don't necessarily need to use bondo on your armor, but it helps a lot in smoothing out and touching up certain areas, especially if you've got a rought pep job.

Have fun at PAX! Now there's an expo I want to go to...unfortunately currently my funds say "no" to a trip to Seattle. Maybe next year though. :)

Ok. I just want to say, "I haz reconz."

This is going to be my first PAX and all my friends say it's amazing. All the hotels get booked like crazy, and of course bungie is always there offering recon if you can beat them in either grifball or an actual match. I think it would be amazing to have like, 10 spartans from the 405th there to cause mayhem. I'm also going to go around with a sign that says, "I can haz reconz pl0x" to see if they get a kick out of it.

Alright, not a bad start, looks about as good as a first pep gets, but i would make a new one, and not waste your time adn money resin/glassing that. WAY too warped.

How is it way to warped. i'm looking at it in person and it doesn't look too warped. Don't i need to fiberglass it so that I can bondo it?

It's not warped, at least not noticeably. It is, however extremely faceted. You don't need to crease every single fold line. Look in pepakura's options for "hide fold lines that almost lay flat" or something like that. Looking at the 3d helmet while folding can help you decide if that particular fold needs to be there, or if it is part of a curved area.

Yes, you do need to fiberglass it before using bondo.

I would say start a new one and hide the folds that are almost flat,take your time,then see how that turns out and then go from there.BUT if u want to keep working on this one,fiberglass it with the resin and use body filler to smooth out parts that are suppost to be nice and smooth,remember use small batches of body filler and apply it in thin layers.Sand it smooth then paint it,hope this helped.

well.....My friends dog knocked the helmet of my hand, his other dog stepped on it. I only resined it, so it cracked. so now i get to start a new helmet. TT_TT

thanks man. and I found the option to hide fold lines that are almost flat. It was already checked, so I just changed the value and it looks better. So i'll try it and tell you how it turns out.

mozsey said:
thanks man. and I found the option to hide fold lines that are almost flat. It was already checked, so I just changed the value and it looks better. So i'll try it and tell you how it turns out.

nice cant wait to see how it turns out and good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I've decided to say screw it on recon, I want to go as a marine, and if I get recon done in time, i'll go as that instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back