Long-time new member - My first build thread

RamenN00dl3

Hey there 405th - I'm Chad (Ramen) and I've been a member here since 2008, but I'm just now beginning my first full build. I do want to chronicle this endeavor as I know how big of an undertaking it will be, and I can only hope to achieve some of the same results as other members here. Hopefully journaling my experience with this all will be beneficial for me and keep myself honest while also (hopefully) helping others who are looking to go down a similar route.

As a bit of a forward, I have been interested in doing this for over a decade now, dating back to the late 2000's when my friends and I built admittedly horrible Halo helmets and props from foamcore and cardboard. They were never meant to be con-worthy or anything, just a fun little thing we did because Halo 2 (and eventually Halo 3) were our entire existence for a while. Sadly I don't have any photos of those props, but if you can imagine a plastic bucket duct-taped to a long cardboard tube, you'd have an idea of our amazing attempt at a gravity hammer. They were loved because of how janky and amateur they looked, and I remember them fondly.

For this build I will be aiming to recreate my Halo 3 Spartan, being a mix of MarkVI and Recon elements. I am 3D printing the entire thing and I'm currently approximately half-way through that process of just printing, having started late last year. Prior to this I had no 3D printing experience, so it's all a learning experience for me. Along with the armor files from the very helpful MoeSizzlac, I will be building at least one weapon, likely OddWorks' Battle Rifle as it has the extreme detail and functional features that I really love. Space permitting, I may also build a shotgun, sniper, or plasma rifle, but we'll see if I can get there.

My goal is to be fully complete by Halloween this year, as it has become a tradition of hosting a big party with more and more intense theming that is a surprise to all guests until they arrive. This year, I want to make it as Halo themed as possible (more on that down the road). Most of the folks invited are the same high-school friends I played so many hours of Halo with back in the day, so I know they'll get a kick out of the whole thing. Along with that is some limited experience with cosplay in general; I've done a few convincing costumes over the years including Marty McFly, Solid Snake, and most recently Willy Wonka. I always find the details are what put those over the edge and I aim to do the same here with my spartan.

I can tell already that this is a bigger beast than I may have initially anticipated, but being that it's been something of a dream of mine since I first heard of the 405th, I plan on going all out and getting it as perfect as I can. This community has already been so helpful and it is so awesome to see a group like this still going so strong after so many years. I will update this thread intermittently as I make progress on the suit and I'll have some photos of the prints I have so far soon, but for now here is one general reference photo of my Spartan and the color scheme I will be going for. I'll be adding some extra details here and there, but again I'll save those for the appropriate time so as not to get too far ahead of myself.

Thanks for reading through my long-winded excitement, and if you continue to follow my progress please feel free to share your thoughts! I'm happy to engage with the community here to make my project even better!

Cheers!

Screenshot 2023-04-08 191013.png

Last edited:
Substantial update time:

Still in the printing process, but I'm getting closer to at least being complete with that phase. Currently printing are the thigh pieces, then the cod-piece, then boot cover pieces once I settle on which actual boots to use so I can scale appropriately. Some of the gluing looks a bit sloppy I'll admit, but I'm sure all of that will be corrected in post-processing. I'm currently using 3D Gloop to glue all of the pieces. So far so good, although I wish the working time was just a tad longer with the stuff, it dries super quick so larger pieces can be tricky.

2023-05-10 23.43.46.jpg

2023-05-10 23.43.55.jpg

2023-05-10 23.43.59.jpg

2023-05-10 23.44.04.jpg

2023-05-10 23.44.09.jpg

I did run in to my first significant print issue this week, realizing that I had somehow saved a copy of a side piece of the chest, rather than the correct one. After searching a bit I realized I did not have the original and matching the exact cut I performed would be near impossible as I have already printed the other parts. After comparing the pieces, I settled on simply mirroring the opposite side. There is a small difference in the exact angle of the cut so it won't be a *perfect* match, but it should be close enough, and this will likely be at a point where I bring the front and back halves of the chest together with magnets anyway, so I'm hoping it can all be corrected in post-processing. I'll keep the extra for now as a spare in case I mess up the side somehow, but I'm just glad it wasn't a larger piece.

2023-05-10 23.44.43.jpg

2023-05-10 23.44.45.jpg

2023-05-11 09.37.42.jpg

Speaking of, I'm starting to give more consideration into how I bring all these parts together to actually wear, and rethinking how some parts will work. The chest is certainly the most complicated, and I'm thinking I need to re-cut and re-print the two pieces that come over my shoulders to connect the chest front and back. I hadn't thought about how these pieces would work when I cut them up to fit on my printer, and it has lead to these pointy corners that scrape my neck pretty bad when trying to bring it around, so I'm thinking I will recut these pieces in half to avoid, and that will be the point where the two halves of the chest piece come together on the top. Originally I wanted the joint more or less hidden behind the buckle on the front, but logistically I think it makes more sense to put the cut right in the middle to give my neck the most space when putting it on. I'm also thinking I will add some kind of rubber or foam 'gasket' at these edges to help protect my neck, but haven't quite settled on how to do that just yet.

2023-05-11 09.34.46.jpg

That's about all I have for now as I wait for additional pieces to print. I'm not updating as often as I had hoped, but I think once the printing is complete that may change. For now all it feels like I'm doing is sitting around and waiting on prints so I've gotten a bit complacent, but hey that's why I started this build thread, to help keep myself accountable. Should have some additional pics in the next week or so, so until then, thanks for looking!

-Ramen

Last edited:
Brief update; I've got all but the belt and boot pieces printed and I'm starting to fill, sand, and prime pieces. Progress is slow since this is something I need to do outside and we're starting to hit 100+ temps here, but I'm managing. I've also acquired the tote that will hold all of the armor, and I'm happy to know that it all fits in a single box. I have yet to pad it, but there is definitely enough room that that will not be an issue.

I've ordered a few additional parts like some shoulder backpack straps for the back chest piece, helmet pads, and what I'll need for a speaker setup in the helmet, once I've got the helmet closer to complete I'll update on that as I think I've found a relatively easy, inexpensive solution to providing a speaker/mic setup that revolved around a wireless lavalier mic and a tiny bluetooth speaker. For now I've got a few pictures of a few pieces in-between phases as I fill seams and filler-prime parts.

2023-05-24 18.44.29.jpg

2023-05-27 21.22.06.jpg

2023-05-27 21.22.14.jpg

2023-06-03 13.10.25.jpg

2023-06-03 13.10.29.jpg

2023-06-03 13.10.32.jpg

Cheers!
-Ramen

Brief update; I've got all but the belt and boot pieces printed and I'm starting to fill, sand, and prime pieces. Progress is slow since this is something I need to do outside and we're starting to hit 100+ temps here, but I'm managing. I've also acquired the tote that will hold all of the armor, and I'm happy to know that it all fits in a single box. I have yet to pad it, but there is definitely enough room that that will not be an issue.

I've ordered a few additional parts like some shoulder backpack straps for the back chest piece, helmet pads, and what I'll need for a speaker setup in the helmet, once I've got the helmet closer to complete I'll update on that as I think I've found a relatively easy, inexpensive solution to providing a speaker/mic setup that revolved around a wireless lavalier mic and a tiny bluetooth speaker. For now I've got a few pictures of a few pieces in-between phases as I fill seams and filler-prime parts.

View attachment 332248
View attachment 332249
View attachment 332250
View attachment 332251
View attachment 332252
View attachment 332253

Cheers!
-Ramen
Looking good! I can't wait to see it all finished.

Mighty fine work! We found that a plastic welder tool along with fiberglass resin & cloth on the backside of pieces like the chest help a ton when it comes to reinforcement!

I had considered the plastic welder, but I think the shells are strong enough with the 3D Gloop I used that it won't require it at the seams. I do plan on adding a layer of rondo to the inside pieces of the shell. Haven't done that before, but I had someone on Reddit give me a pretty good tutorial and sounds like it will add quite a bit of strength. I do have a small crack on the chest piece already from where the side pieces are flexing a bit around my midsection. I definitely want to reinforce that area in particular. It feels like my scaling could have been ~2% larger and I'd have a better fit, but I'm too far along at this point to consider reprinting the entire chest section. I'm thinking once I actually get everything padded and set properly, the part that is having an issue will actually sit a bit higher on me and won't be a problem.

Hehe it looks so good makes me want to start on mine though I can’t yet!
Planning is definitely a huge step, so I'd suggest even if you can't start the physical building part yet, there's tons of time you can sink into planning out many aspects. Granted, some things can only be figured out with trial and error, but I know my process wouldn't have gone as smoothly as it has so far had I not planned a good amount of it out beforehand. Good luck!

I had considered the plastic welder, but I think the shells are strong enough with the 3D Gloop I used that it won't require it at the seams. I do plan on adding a layer of rondo to the inside pieces of the shell. Haven't done that before, but I had someone on Reddit give me a pretty good tutorial and sounds like it will add quite a bit of strength. I do have a small crack on the chest piece already from where the side pieces are flexing a bit around my midsection. I definitely want to reinforce that area in particular. It feels like my scaling could have been ~2% larger and I'd have a better fit, but I'm too far along at this point to consider reprinting the entire chest section. I'm thinking once I actually get everything padded and set properly, the part that is having an issue will actually sit a bit higher on me and won't be a problem.
Wow its been a while since I've heard rondo lol. Definitely good for reinforcement. Also how's the 3D gloop's adhesion strength? I've heard about it recently and it looks tough, but haven't used it or met anyone who has yet.

Wow its been a while since I've heard rondo lol. Definitely good for reinforcement. Also how's the 3D gloop's adhesion strength? I've heard about it recently and it looks tough, but haven't used it or met anyone who has yet.
It seems to be pretty strong, stronger than superglue for sure. It forms a true chemical bond between pieces. I feel like it needs some reinforcement only because the pieces are so thin, if you glue together anything thicker than a couple millimeters, it's incredibly strong. I find it's a little tricky to work with if there is a lot of area, so applying it to many inches of length of shell in time before it dries is the biggest hurdle, but so far so good. The price is definitely the biggest drawback in my opinion, but I think it's worth it depending on the application.

Could you share that Reddit post you found on the rondo? I am still quite green on how to properly stick PLA together and I want to make sure the seams are as strong as they can be. Especially the chest piece.

Could you share that Reddit post you found on the rondo? I am still quite green on how to properly stick PLA together and I want to make sure the seams are as strong as they can be. Especially the chest piece.
So the post in particular was more about strengthening pieces that are already glued together, not joining pieces necessarily. That said, the link to the post is below, as well as a couple YouTube videos I found to be helpful. 3D Gloop is what I used to glue the parts together, and I'll be adding a layer of Rondo once I have the pieces sanded.

Short update: I've run into a bit of a snag on the chest armor. Since I can only do so much scaling before printing, most of the armor fits perfectly, but the sides of the chest piece are a bit tight around my midsection. I want to give myself a bit more room with the two side pieces by around half an inch each, but I really don't want to reprint the entire thing given the time and expense. I'm going to play with warping the pieces a bit with heat this weekend I think and see if I can at least get it a bit more tolerable, but as it is now it really wouldn't be comfortable for any significant amount of time. If I take in a deep breath I can feel the pieces flexing around my ribs, so if I'm doing anything other than standing still it's noticable.

I'm thinking I might be able to heat the sides with a heat gun and just ever so slightly bend the pieces and essentially fold it up a bit but I'm not sure how much stress that will put on the pieces or potential of breakage. Any suggestions that might suit my needs? If I end up breaking the pieces I'll likely just bite the bullet and reprint at a slightly larger scale while I work on the other pieces, just a bummer knowing that much filament would be wasted...

2023-06-22 10.15.33.jpg

I like Lobbster's elastic idea. Another thing you could do is cut out the section that is rubbing and replace it with a foam section. That piece would not be too difficult at all to make out of foam, and this way it could bend out of your way instead of potentially breaking like a 3D print.

Brief update time:

I've gotten all parts printed and primed at least one coat, and I've spot-putty'd about 80% of the pieces. I plan to finish spot-puttying this week, and over the weekend I want to try and rondo the interior of all parts. I'm hoping that will go somewhat quickly as I don't have to be quite as careful and can just paint it on since it's parts of the pieces that won't show.

Once rondo'ing is complete, I'll start final sanding all pieces and any final touch-ups with spot-putty, then final prime coat and wet sanding. I do feel like I'm starting to rush just a bit and probably not being quite as meticulous with my sanding/finishing as I initially anticipated, but most of the imperfections I'm noticing are in places that most will never see, or they are so minor that paint and weathering will make them far less noticeable. My main concern in getting this done by Halloween is the seam lines where I glued pieces together are no longer visible, and 90% of layer lines are gone. So far I'm pretty close in getting to that goal. Given this is also my first go at a suit, and my inexperience, I'm trying not to be too hard on myself for the small quality issues.

I also sat down and charted out a timeline of different stages of development, hence my mild panic in realizing how much I still have to do in a less-than-three-month time frame. I think it's doable, but I definitely took a hit over summer as it has been so hot my working time is limited, and most of what I am currently doing is limited to being done outside. I'm already guessing I will take a day or two off work to make a bunch of progress, but we'll see how it goes. I know I'm in the most labor-intensive stage right now, and I'll feel better when I get my initial coat of paint on.

To follow up on a few of the past questions/issues I've had, I was able to warp the sides of the torso piece with a heat gun enough where it isn't quite as uncomfortable now. Simply heated it up and bent it to shape. It's a little deformed now, but again it's on the inside so not a big deal. I do have a couple parts where pieces are coming apart at the seam where they were glued, but I will fill those with putty and rondo. As for the boot overs, I'm still working out my final solution, but I think I have a strategy that will get me where I need.

I've also started working on a few props to go with everything; I worked out a couple Halo 3 flag concepts and handed them over to a custom flag maker, and I'll fabricate a simple flag pole later with steel pipe from the hardware store. I'm pretty happy with how they came out, and while they're not 1:1 game replicas, they'll do the trick. I also designed a pair of custom N00dl3 flags that I'll have as souvenirs for my Halloween party guests that are the little size, like 4x6.

I've got about 90% of a Battle Rifle printed and assembled, though I don't think I'll have time to really properly sand it all, so I think I'm going to go the lazy route and just filler prime it, give it a quick sand, and paint it. Given how basic the model appears in game, this will be the best I can do given my time frame. I printed out Galactic Armory's BR but after printing I wasn't really that impressed with the functionality of it all as it doesn't have any moving parts other than a removable clip, so I'm thinking I'll use this one as a test run. I did find Oddworks on Patreon whose BR I like quite a bit more, so while I may not get it done for Halloween, I do plan on printing that one out for cons and the like down the road.

That's all for now folks, thanks for reading and (presumably) following along in my build process. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it feels like a pinhole at the moment.

2023-08-09 14.51.47.jpg

2023-08-09 14.51.53.jpg

2023-08-09 14.52.01.jpg

Blue Flag H3 18x32.jpg
n00DL3 Flag H3 18x32.jpg
Red Flag H3 18x32.jpg
Mini Blue Flag 4x6.jpg
Mini Red Flag 4x6.jpg

Project Cobalt Timeline.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back