Looking for a tutorial on one of Adam's AR's (Electronics as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubachris85x

Got a 2nd hand AR today, unfinished except for a rough sanding on the seam. I've been searching the forum for awhile now, and haven't really come across any tutorial or build up thread to this yet.

I'm particularly looking for advice on doing the electronics properly as well as accurate paint listing, and suggested material for the barrel. This casting is good, but the seam line is very rough. The magazine well is filled, but looks like white resin was poured in there (unsure if this is what Adam or previous owner did)

For the electronics, I am aware most members have been using ReplicantFX's gear, however, I'm not really sure his website is correct? I can do the wiring no problem though, I've just never put electronics into a hollow prop before, and don't wanna mess it up!

Anyways, I'm very happy with it, first piece of many for my suit :)

Thanks!

-TC

I would also like to know how to install an ammo counter in one of Adam's AR.
I got mine from thatdecade....excellent!

Talk to mighty mints about the painting. He actually has a couple pieces that fit into my AR really nicely.

Replicant FX is currently deployed and won't be back for about 8 months. Sadly....

Cool, I'll PM him and see what he says. As for ReplicantFX, I hope the best for him!

Picked up a mini-maglight, but gotta do some mods to the front shroud. Gonna see what I can use for the barrel, but thinking PVC, or even get a cheap airsoft M4 and take out the barrel. Got alot of work to do!

Thanks!

Well got this thing started. I'm gonna be holding off the electronics until I get back home from trainning. I found the appropriate colors. Just need to order some gunmetal.

SAM_0054.jpg

SAM_0055.jpg

DSCF1005.jpg

DSCF1006.jpg

The siliver I got sucks btw. rubs off somewhat easily despite sanding...Gonna be painted over anyways. The hex bolts aren't attached yet and still trying to figure how I want to mount the Maglight..

-TC

dude that silver doesn't suck, this gun is lookin sexy!
;)

Thanks! Granted, it looks good in the pic, the paint is sorta wearing off. It's the drawback to silver not accepting clear coats, so I can't protect it. Going to be ordering some gunmetal after I get paid

You used a primer, right? And if you did, the AR looks like a casting, could the mold release agent still be present? That would cause problems in the painting process.

You used a primer, right? And if you did, the AR looks like a casting, could the mold release agent still be present? That would cause problems in the painting process.

Always use primer lol Its just a thing about silver paints. You want to keep it as shiny as you can, don't put a clear coat over it. No clear coat, no real protection. Masking tape, the lightest I could get can still take some silver off. Heck, over the years, I don't think I've ever had any prop that used silver spray paint and didn't rub off in some way.

I was thinking about using rub and buff, but since I'm painting the gun metal, not gonna cause of the time needed and handling it would be a pain waiting for it to fully dry.

As for the metal barrel, I've sanded that thing several times, primered, then sanded again, and the paint still dosn't adhere as well as I'd like it to. Probably should have went with plastic for the barrel, but oh well..

Always use primer lol Its just a thing about silver paints. You want to keep it as shiny as you can, don't put a clear coat over it. No clear coat, no real protection. Masking tape, the lightest I could get can still take some silver off. Heck, over the years, I don't think I've ever had any prop that used silver spray paint and didn't rub off in some way.

I was thinking about using rub and buff, but since I'm painting the gun metal, not gonna cause of the time needed and handling it would be a pain waiting for it to fully dry.

As for the metal barrel, I've sanded that thing several times, primered, then sanded again, and the paint still dosn't adhere as well as I'd like it to. Probably should have went with plastic for the barrel, but oh well..
My experience with silver rattle can paints , is that they rub off for about a month after that it stays on pretty good and feels a lot smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back