Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomRanger

DMO, Armory, and Forum Support
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S063
I'm attempting to make a halo 2 style battle rifle (anniversary or not doesn't matter) out of foam, and I'm hoping someone has simple files with the rough shape of the rifle to scale. I want to print just the outline of the rifle and then freehand it from there, and the pepakura files I found in the armory are needlessly complicated for a foam build.

The Assault Rifle files here Halo 2 Anniversary - UNSC Weapons are amazing... but I'm not a fan of the assault rifle itself in-game :(

Last edited:
Hey there, Ranger. I think the perfect files you'd be looking for would be either a sliced model of the BR, or a Low Definition version. Namely the Halo 2 or 3 would be perfect to go with!

In terms of scaling. The way I and many others have gone about scaling is as follows! (Credit to Spidermonkey60 for showing me this as well!)

Take the weapon length divided by chiefs height and multiply it by your height,

(WL/MCH) x H = Scaled Weapon

I also highly suggest looking into High-Density Foam for any type of foam prop build!

Hey there, Ranger. I think the perfect files you'd be looking for would be either a sliced model of the BR, or a Low Definition version.
Yeah, it's finding this that's the hard part for me cause I don't see it in the armory and idk how to make one.

EVA-38 is actually going to be a normal density foam. So it'll be more prone to bending and indentation. Id say something like
EVA-50 is more what you are looking for! (And what a small world, we work through the same foam provider!)

EVA-38 is actually going to be a normal density foam. So it'll be more prone to bending and indentation. Id say something like
EVA-50 is more what you are looking for! (And what a small world, we work through the same foam provider!)
Hmm, dang. Guess I'll have to order that when I order my sheets of various thicknesses too.

Hmm, dang. Guess I'll have to order that when I order my sheets of various thicknesses too.
Alright, well, ordered some EVA-50 per your recommendation then (along with some EVA-38 4mm for touching up my suit).

Good day to order too! Bunch of sales on everything! I highly suggest checking out Punished Props Acadaemy video on making blueprints! You could in theory create your own templates for the BR following his method!

Good day to order too! Bunch of sales on everything! I highly suggest checking out Punished Props Acadaemy video on making blueprints! You could in theory create your own templates for the BR following his method!
I'll check him out :)

Honestly, its hard to beat Andy DFT youtube tut vids and templates he provides. Now i will say i took his build to the next level by adding cleaner detail, full length removable barrel for weapon strength, and i free hand built my own scope studying game detail. But he provides a great base to start with when using eva foam. He has a great H2A build series that had tons of detail. Heres my h3 br.
20190406_173754.jpg

Honestly, its hard to beat Andy DFT youtube tut vids and templates he provides. Now i will say i took his build to the next level by adding cleaner detail, full length removable barrel for weapon strength, and i free hand built my own scope studying game detail. But he provides a great base to start with when using eva foam. He has a great H2A build series that had tons of detail. Heres my h3 br.
View attachment 271688
That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for thanks :) I'll check it out!
And dang that rifle looks clean.

Way back in like... 2016[?] I tossed this together.

Weapon: BR55HB SR
Game: Halo 3

Linked file is scaled to be the in universe length of 29" for the main body and 35.4" including barrel.

Blue sections are final constructed pieces to show the overall finished prop.
Light grey sections are 0.125" Hardboard.
Dark grey sections are 0.5" MDF.
Dashed sections routed 0.125" internally for fittings. The top-most dark grey section is to be cut out twice with mirrored routed sections.
Barrel and gas piston housing [I'm assuming that's what they designed it as] are 0.5" diameter doweling.
Crossed sections are points to pre-drill for extra detail fittings.

Way back in like... 2016[?] I tossed this together.

View attachment 271740

Weapon: BR55HB SR
Game: Halo 3

Linked file is scaled to be the in universe length of 29" for the main body and 35.4" including barrel.

Blue sections are final constructed pieces to show the overall finished prop.
Light grey sections are 0.125" Hardboard.
Dark grey sections are 0.5" MDF.
Dashed sections routed 0.125" internally for fittings. The top-most dark grey section is to be cut out twice with mirrored routed sections.
Barrel and gas piston housing [I'm assuming that's what they designed it as] are 0.5" diameter doweling.
Crossed sections are points to pre-drill for extra detail fittings.
Dayuuuum, this is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

Just a bit of advice, don't go the same route I did making it from wood. Thing is a beast and makes for one heck of a workout when on patrol for a weekend.
I'll be using EVA-50 for the majority of it, and a wooden dowel for the barrel. A full wood build sounds great! Until you have to carry it is that is, I see what you mean.

I'll be using EVA-50 for the majority of it, and a wooden dowel for the barrel. A full wood build sounds great! Until you have to carry it is that is, I see what you mean.
Yup i use a full length 35" piece of .750" wooden dowel held in with good tight friction. Makes the foam rifle rigid and also keeps the barrell removable for maintenance. Simply just pull it out with force if needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back