Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukavago

BMO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S404
Hey folks!

I have finally gotten my 3D printer, and I'm getting to work on what has been a dream of mine for at least a decade, an ODST build. So come with me as I take you on this marvelous journey of mistakes, headaches, awkward questions, and "by the gods, why did he do that?!?

First up, weapons. Yeah, the armor would probably make more sense to start with, but I wanted something that I could finish and yet learn from at the same time. So I'll be printing two to start with. Today, I'm going to show you the M6C/SOCOM.

1.jpg

Maybe a little ambitious.....

2.jpg

Mistake were made, but I won't let that stop me!!!!
3.jpg

Lots of good detailing here.
4.jpg

All put together!!!!
5.jpg
and with a layer of black primer (finding matte paints is kinda difficult for some reason.....)

That's all I've got for now, thanks for dropping in everyone.

Last edited:
Hello again everyone!

So, you might be thinking "Luka, those def aren't bits of ODST armor in your photos." and you'd be 100% correct. See, I happened to be lucky enough to win a suit of Halo Marine armor crafted by the fantastic TillXValhalla. I'm still going to do a full ODST suit, don't worry, but this gives me a lot of practice on painting armor.
1-1.jpg

Almost the full suit. I thought one of the shoulder pads managed to escape the shipping box, but it was just stuck to the backside of the backplates. Some pieces got warped in shipping, but nothing a bit of heat can't fix.
1-2.jpg

Literally the first pieces I painted, and I think they look good. I'm planning on doing some silver dry brushing to really make the damage pop, and maybe a burnt umber wash to give it that "I wear this to battle" look.
1-3.jpg

I didn't want to be too monocolor, so a lighter green for accents seems to be the way to go.

That's all I have photos of for the moment, but I've been painting most of today so I should have some more to show off soon. Thanks for the support everyone!

Alright, all of the Marine armor is painted to a point that I'm happy with it. That does mean no more Marine updates until I can start collecting my paychecks so I can buy the stuff I'm going to actually mount the armor on to. But for now, I do have some photos.
2-1.jpg

All of the various bits of arm armor.
2-2.jpg

A closer look at the left hip plate and the chest piece. I will add a UNSC logo and a rank insignia (Sargent, as I actually have claim to that one in real life..... kinda....) but that's for later.
2-3.jpg

Just a closer (somewhat blurrier) look at some of the pieces.
2-4.jpg

Battle damage on the bucket. It's safe to say that I've had more than my fair share of knocks to the head.....
2-5.jpg

My poor dinning room table, covered from end to end in various bits and pieces......
1-1.jpg

And finally! My current project! This is my favorite weapon in the UNSC armory, the DMR. It's also my first print in PETG which likes all of the settings just so. Translation, it's as temperamental as a teenager who forgot to study for a test and now they're gonna lose the car on the weekends. I'm learning how to deal with it, but I'm very happy the rougher portions will be covered up.

Thanks for stopping by everyone, it'll be at least two days before I'm able to post a new update, maybe longer. Until then, thanks for all the support!

Hey everyone. Sorry for the big delay, but it's about to get worse. I'm in the process of moving, and I'm not going to have consistent access to my printer over the next several months. Still, I have just a little bit to show you, and I'll hopefully be able to finish up my Marine costume that's currently taking over my dinning room table.

2-1.jpg

Rifle is really starting to take shape now. Big shout out to NerdForgeDesign for bringing Weld-On 3 to my attention. That stuff really is amazing.

You've got a lot of it done Lukavago13 ! Send me the print files and I will finish printing it for you. I have a 350mm print bed.

Oof, I've been missing for a while haven't I? And I don't have much to show for it!?! Wow, I'm a bad person! But hey! An update!

Alright, I'll be frank here, life has been slightly rough, and my printer was out of commission for about 6 months or so, but after some upgrades, fixes, and a lot of troubleshooting, I've managed to get everything working again. Life still isn't in a fantastica place, but it's a lot better and still improving, so yay! Now, on to the updates.

20220427_145519.jpg

The DMR is fully printed and assembled!!! I still need to do a fair amount of sanding and gap filling, but progress is good.

That's really all I've got for the moment. I'm out of plastic for myself, so I'll be doing a quick project for a buddy while I wait on the new stuff to come in. Thanks for paying attention.

Hey folks. I'm out of plastic at the moment, so no ODST updates (I know, I haven't actually shown y'all any ODST stuff, I'm a fraud) but I do have something for you. The ever amazing TillXValhalla reminded me that I owed him photos of the foam Marine outfit he sent me, so y'all get to benefit.
marine1.jpg

So it's still a work in progress, but I am happy with what I've got so far.

20220506_125233.jpg

The SOCOM is held on by magnets. They aren't strong enough, but it's a good proof of concept if nothing else.

20220506_125341.jpg

This part I'm really proud of. The chest plate can slide up and down, covering up the stomach plates and letting me get in and out of the armor a lot easier. Very glad I decided to do that.

20220506_125353.jpg

See what I mean?
20220506_125400.jpg

Just to give you an idea on how it all works.

Till next time y'all.

-Luka

I accidently double posted, ignore me.....

Hey everyone, I'm back, and with ACTUAL ODST UPDATES THIS TIME!!!!! I know! I don't believe it either! Let's get started.

20220516_192951.jpg

Various parts and pieces, I wanted some small prints to start with so we have some "pouches", some buckle points, and the belt plate.
20220514_232342.jpg

We also have my first bit of blood on my armor. I was trying to clean up the support scars, and ended up nicking my finger just a bit.
20220516_171541.jpg

And finally, we have what currently on the print bed, half of the left shin. Or an alien face. Or a crashed millennium falcon.... You decide!!!!

That's all I've got for today, and it'll be at least four days before the shin is printed, so here's hoping I see y'all next weekend!

-Luka

Alright, I really need to get better at updating here.....

Short one today. I've been busy, but it all fits in a single photo so......

OSDT update 5Jul.jpg

So I've been printing a lot. I've got the helmet done, including the visor buck. Most of the back torso armor, a bit of the belt armor, and most of the stomach gear, including the kidney plates. I still have a LOT to do, but I'm making good progress and I'm trying to run my printer ragged. I have the lofty goal of being done in time for ECCC, so we'll see. Wish me luck folks!

What's this? Less than a week between post? By Luka? Are we sure he's not sick, or taken over by aliens with better work drives?

That's right ladies and gents! I am bringing you a second July update! Things keep on as the are, you might even get a third!!!!
20220710_204741.jpg

I've been sanding, bondoing, priming, and painting things. Most things get the full works the same day they get pulled off the printer now. I'm not quite in panic mode for Emerald, and I am currently very happy with my progress. Granted, I'm no pippon, but I'm still very happy. With a couple exceptions, all that's left are the various limbs, plus all the mounting, visor work, and all the other 4 million things I'm probably forgetting. But hey! It's my first build after all!

Thanks for stopping by, and I'll see y'all soon peeps!

-Luka

Its looking great! (im also secretly glad the belt buckle warped for someone else the exact same way it did for me...go check out PlanetAlexander's belt file..its what im gonna replace mine with when i get round to printing it.

I look forwards to seeing how you address all the technical challenges!

Alright, I didn't manage to get a 3rd July post, I've been busy. In payment, I've got a large update for you!

So! What has Luka been up to?
20220815_083729.jpg

First up is the printer. A massive upgrade for me, my new CR10 is replacing my Ender 3. It has been running pretty much non stop, and I've got to say it is an amazing printer!
20220815_210821.jpg

I've been adding some velcro to some pieces. Not sure it's the right direction, but it'll do for now.
20220816_214750.jpg

20220816_214742.jpg

Strapping is absolutely the right call though, lots and lots of webbing to hold some things together.
20220810_144638.jpg

20220815_210811.jpg

20220816_230210.jpg

I've also been doing a fair amount of painting. I'm not done (need some dry brushing and black washing) but it's looking good.
20220813_215721.jpg

Finally, the visor has been installed in the helmet!!!!
20220813_191852.jpg

and just for giggles, look at how tiny my head is compared to pipninja's!

Well, that's all I've got for now. Here's hoping I get everything done for ECCC which is this fricken weekend! The con crunch is real right now. Later peeps!

Pip could tell you more, but it's actually surprisingly comfy. It's a foam build, so it's not bad in the weight department, and he's done a really good job on the electronics and the visor system. If any of you want a helmet like that, he does commissions, though I'm not sure how booked out he is at the moment.

Pip could tell you more, but it's actually surprisingly comfy. It's a foam build, so it's not bad in the weight department, and he's done a really good job on the electronics and the visor system. If any of you want a helmet like that, he does commissions, though I'm not sure how booked out he is at the moment.
Oh I thought it was 3d printed XD

just in the interest of clarity, the ODST suit is 3D printed, but Pipninja's Reach Spartan is foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back